THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A little help, please, with the .303

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help, please, with the .303
 Login/Join

Picture of 450/400NE
posted
Anyone have a good load for the .303 British using Woodleigh 215 grain bullets? I will soon be trying 37 and 38 grains of Reloader 15 ( per Ross Seyfried's formula ). This ammo will be used in a double rifle, target velocity is approx. 2150 fps. Initial testing is being done in a P-14 Enfield. Thanks!!

450/400NE

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400NE

You may be in the wrong place mate, go up to the Ozzy forum and ask there....

Best of luck.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sir; try 303british.com i have found them informative and helpful

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The heaviest bullet I hae used thus far in the .303 has been the .308", 200-grain Nosler. I have found that IMR 4350 gives it a max MV of 2150 FPS (20" barrel), and 1 MOA from two different rifles-one a No. 5 Jungle Carbine (used to chrono the load as well) and a No. 4. (Couldn't find any of the old 215-grain soft roundnoses to try.)

This is a very deadly bullet in the .303, and much more accurate than I had expected from the oversized bores..... A good powder for 150 and 180-grain bullets has been WW 748....

FWIW, I have found that it is much easier developing a load that will "regulate" with bullets of different weights in the smaller-caliber doubles. For example, I have an 8X60RS with which I was able to find loads that would shoot both barrels into 3" or less @ 100 meters with 150, 175, and 200-grain bullets, even though the info stamped under the barrels shows that it was regulated with 198-grain bullets.

BUT, in order to find a load that will let both barrels shoot together, you MUST develop the load in that specific gun. This is done by changing the powder charge, and hence, the MV of the load. (Assuming the barrels are regulated pretty well to start with!)

BULLETS CROSSING: The right barrel is shooting to the LEFT, (and perhaps low) and the left barrel is shooting to the right and perhaps a little high. Here, the MV is too high. The powder charge has to be reduced to slow the bullet down and increase barrel time.

SHOOTING WIDE: RIGHT barrel is throwing bullets to the RIGHT, and the LEFT barrel is shooting to the LEFT. When this happens, (it may be HIGH also) the MV is TOO LOW, exiting the barrel too LATE. Add powder to increase MV. I increase or decrease my load .5 grain at a time for rounds the size of the .303 and similar cartridges.

Another way of saying this is, if the barrels are CROSSING, (and LOW,) they are shooting a load that is too fast. Barrel time must be increased. Less powder!

If the barrels are shooting WIDE and HIGH, they are shooting a load that is too slow. Barrel time must be cut down. More powder!

Doubles are NOT as strong as that P-14, and loads worked up in one may be too hot for a double! 2150 with a 200 or 215 byllet shgould be OK, however. BUT I would use SLOW powder!Have fun!

This is from a Pedersoli .54 Kodiak using 85 grains of Swiss FFg and round balls at 100 yards.

This is with a J.P. Sauer 8X60RS using 200-grain Speer or Nosler partiton bullets at 100 yards-58 grains of RL 22 powder.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote