New
Find
Notify
Tools

One rifle for Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased my last hunting rifle in 1997, and through simplifying my life I have only a .270 win left, and I am wanting to purchase another. The Scenario is one rifle for Montana, covering Elk to whitetail to antelope. Where I hunt there are bears, and we see them every two or three years while hunting, just something to consider.

I really like the new Ruger Alaskan in .338 but how would that be on whitetail and antelope? Looking for opinions on a single caliber for MT. Go with the .338, drop down to the .300 or go up to the 375 Ruger.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If I had to, I would be happy with owning just one .270. (Or .30-06...better in my eyes, but animals probably wouldn't know which is which).

Your .270 Winchester will handle anything Montana has to offer.

Adding a 2nd rifle...I love the .338 Win Mag.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunt Montana now days I carry my 700 in 300WM.

Why because I needed to find a reason to use it.

Before that I carried my M77 MKII in 338WM for the same reason.

Before that my M77 MKII in 30-06 because it a do all caliber.

Before that a 03 in 06 because that is what I had

So the answer to you question is anything that strikes your fancy.

Only owning one rifle is inconceivable for me now days.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your recoil tolerence and honesty a 30-06 or a .338 would be my pick..Hard to beat a 30-06 but you have a 270 so Id go up to the 338 Win., with a 225 gr. accubond..if recoil isn't a problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
When I moved to Montana in 1975 the only rifle that I had was a .30-06. I didn't have any trouble filling my deer, elk, and antelope tags every year with that rifle. Back then we could buy an OTC grizzly tag which I did every year and didn't think twice about using my .30-06.

I've lived in grizzly country the whole time that I've been in Montana. Last fall a neighbor filmed a grizzly across the road from my house. A few days later my next door neighbor saw grizzly tracks in the snow on the hill behind our houses. Both of these sightings were within 1/4 mile from my house. I've also had black bears on my back deck. And I've seen multiple mountain lions within 1/4 mile of my house. I respect bears and lions, but I don't live in fear of them.

I'm now fortunate enough to have a safe full of rifles, and I enjoy matching the rifle to the game, but many of my rifles have strayed into taking animals that are larger or smaller than the size animal that I bought that particular rifle for. I've also been fortunate to have taken at least one of every Montana game animal (except wolf), and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of my rifles in .270 Win, 7 mm RM, .30-06, or .300 Weatherby on a hunt for any animal in Montana.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1630 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
A nice 338/06 would fill the bill.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jon, I tell everyone moving here who asks about a single rifle for Montana to get a 270. And then I tell them, "if you want to get fancy, add a 243 to the 270." A 22lr, 243, and 270 is about all a guy needs to know about hunting in Montana.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My go-to rifle is a Winchester 70 in 7 mm Remington, adequate for anything I hunt and with a reasonable selection of bullets to reload.
I did fail to nip the head off a Maine partridge with it once, but it was my own fault (and I did nip off one neck feather).

That said, you are almost never further than 20 miles from the nearest box of 30-06 ammunition for sale.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moreno Valley CA USA

TomP, I can appreciate you have an informed opinion about what constitutes a "one rifle Montana rifle", but I guess I'm also going to point out the obvious... and NO, I'm not one of those Montanan's that is anti-Californian. Quite the opposite. And also, not saying the 7mmRM is a wrong choice... just that I have found the 270 will really do everything the 7mmRM will do, but with less fuss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You clearly need a 338-06 AI.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1014 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if I had a 270 I liked I'd use it.
now I know Idaho merely touches Montana for a few hundred miles so I know nothing about it.
but,, you know, their deer/elk/bear/wolves are a lot bigger than ours,,,, so I hear.

Posts: 4955 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:
Moreno Valley CA USA

TomP, I can appreciate you have an informed opinion about what constitutes a "one rifle Montana rifle", but I guess I'm also going to point out the obvious... and NO, I'm not one of those Montanan's that is anti-Californian. Quite the opposite. And also, not saying the 7mmRM is a wrong choice... just that I have found the 270 will really do everything the 7mmRM will, but with less fuss.

Can't argue with that. I have hunted Montana a few times, Bob Marshall Wilderness for elk, Glasgow for deer/antelope, Chinook for same.
A 270 would have worked as well most likely, the 7 mm was what I had at the time and still have. It's been reliable and I have the reloading dies.
For Alaska moose one trip, 175 grain Partition bullets. I'm not aware of bullets that size for 270 but they may not be necessary either.
I don't like the extra recoil with 175s, settled on 140-grain bullets not much different from the usual 130-grain ones commonly used in 270s.
Now I'm changing over to TTSX since we're stuck with no-lead and I don't want to jiggle the scope between states. Sigh...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 338-06 suggestion, but I am a medium bore lover, so take that for what it's worth...

I'd think your 270 and a 338-06 would cover a lot of ground: Bullet weights from 130-160 gr. for your 270, and 180-275 gr. for the 338-06.

If easy ammo availability is a consideration, and recoil is no concern, I suppose a 338WM would make more sense.

Good luck in your decision!

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 WM would be a good option but nearly as cool. Cool

Another option for me would be a 9.3x62 Mauser. Ammo is readily available online and provides all the lunch you need with the various 286 gr bullets. The TSX is an awesome choice here. If you for some reason need to flatten the trajectory some and it’s for smaller critters there are some 232 gr loads that would be suited for smaller things like deer.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1014 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, most of Montana is fairly wide-open country, so range capability is a necessity. With the 270, you're good for Antelope, Mulies, and Whitetails. Get a 300 mag of some sort for Elk, and you're covered.

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
358 norma, Bears beware, will just put a 3/8 hole in and out on pronghorn, no meat spoiled Smiler

Posts: 1044 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Biebs' said. Perfect. Versatile.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I started off way back in the 1980's with a 7x57 and it was perfect.
My friends here on AR just helped me gift an -06 to my 13 year old girl.
I used to know a game biologist in Montana that used a 7 mag and seemed to like it just fine. Friend of mine here in Dillingham used a 7 mag on a big bull moose this past fall and tipped him over in place.

Me? I like the 7mag and given the "Big Skies" of Montana, I'd like to have one.

Posts: 9008 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, good thought on the 7 Mag. Use 140gr for Deer and Antelope, 160-175gr for Elk.

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the 358 Norma from whitetail to elk. You have the added benefit of having a rifle that can take on any game on the continent.

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote 338 WM or 35 Whelen.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Montana hunting, but I do own a 270 Win and a 338 Win. I decided to get something inbetween and settled on a 300 WSM .
I now find that I use the 300 almost exclusively. Just pick the correct bullet for the job.

Posts: 778 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 9.xx62 is the best big game caliber on the medium bore, 30-06 size case, but the 338 won me over as it shoots flatter and kills just as well..

I think the 30-06 is the best of the non belted medium bolt actions when it comes down to the nut cutt'en..that 200 gr. accubond in my 22" barreled mod. 70 fwt is darn hard to beat for elk or even the big bears, but there are a number of suitable calibers IMO, the 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 338/06, and the same in Improved version..Ones about as good as the other. I only went with the 338 as you already had a 270 and with a 160 gr. Nosler its no slouch..to best your 270 I would suggest going big time at least to a 338 or even the .375 Ruger or H&H..My 375 Ruger 77 mk2 at 7.5 lbs and 8.5 scoped is handy, great elk and deer caliber, and plenty for whatever walks this earth..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Your .270 would be just fine with proper bullet placement using heavier bullets, maybe 160 grain.
But, life is short. So, if you got the itch to buy a new rifle, just do it. .338 Federal would be my choice. 180 grain Nosler Partition spitzers or Accubonds will do the job if you do your part.
Ruger makes other rifles in this caliber. Sorry, the .338 Fed is not available in Alaskan.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:
I purchased my last hunting rifle in 1997, and through simplifying my life I have only a .270 win left, and I am wanting to purchase another. The Scenario is one rifle for Montana, covering Elk to whitetail to antelope. Where I hunt there are bears, and we see them every two or three years while hunting, just something to consider.

I really like the new Ruger Alaskan in .338 but how would that be on whitetail and antelope? Looking for opinions on a single caliber for MT. Go with the .338, drop down to the .300 or go up to the 375 Ruger.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older you get the more you have to worry about stuff other than the caliber of the bullet. You already know you have to worry about weight as well. Especially if you are going to climb mountains for elk.

Get a Kimber Montana in .325 WSM and don't look back.

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
The older you get the more you have to worry about stuff other than the caliber of the bullet. You already know you have to worry about weight as well. Especially if you are going to climb mountains for elk.

This is why I love my Ruger Hawkeye SS/syn. 35 Whelen so much. Light weight, plenty of power, can shoot 180 gr.- 310 gr. for any purpose you need, flat shooting or hard thumping. 1-12 twist.

Hornady SF 200 gr. factory ammo at 2,900 fps.

Federal Prem. factory ammo 225 TBBC at 2,600 fps.

Nosler Cust. 250 gr. NP factory ammo at 2,500 fps

SAF 280 gr. at 2,300 fps.

Woodleigh 310 gr. at 2,100 fps.

Something up there should meet your needs for whatever distance/animal you plan to hunt IMHO, Pronghorn to big Bears.

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget the 35 Whelen Accubond 225 grain load. Shoots as flat as a 140 grain Creedmore load.

Posts: 10555 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

I think for you purposes a 300 WM would easily handle everything. You can use different bullets but a 180 at 2950-3000 fps will work nicely for everything in Montana. It can come in the same size and weight rifle as a 30-06 and the recoil is really not an issue.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12839 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Good grief, you can tell who lives here and is under age 90 and who isn’t...

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
If you can handle the recoil I would take a serious look at the 300 weatherby Magnum, that's one of those cartridges that can handle everything from antelope to moose!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Your 270 is all you need. I hunted and guided in Montana through the 80s and my 270 was what I used (still have it). Load it with premium bullets (Partitions, A-Frames, TSX's etc.), either factory or handloads and you're all set.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 win mag would be perfict . Its flat shooting and powerful .Montana has a lot of grizzlies and it's worth the extra power for just in case . That was the smallest gun I used in Alaska .I used it on deer for 35 years here in GA .It was made for elk hunting they are super tough and you want to get them in their tracks !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone to contributing and commenting on this post. I am going to try and answer and justify my conclusion. All of which can be easily debunked. First of all, I have and love my .270 win, in Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight. My only rifle, and I am completely confident that anything I point it at has a problem. It’s a tack driver, fun to carry, and fun to shoot (no more than 3 times). My daughter will have it once I die. But …

1- I want a new rifle, I want a magnum, something that I can use to “plink” around the campfire. That being said I was looking at a 300 as a minimum up to a 375. I had a 300 WSM Finnlight. Great rifle, but my guide wanted it more than I did after an elk hunt, so it left me.
2- I got stimulus money and I plan to stimulate the economy by putting it right back in if I can find a rifle.
3- Looks like I will be getting another stimulus check so I can support a small business that deals in ammo. A companion to #2 above.
4- I am not recoil sensitive, but what the hell, I will put a muzzle break on it for resale value.
5- No offense to the 35 Whelan, 338/06, 9.3, 358 Norma, 325 WSM, .338 F. I am a bit ignorant and I don’t handload.
6- I am not much of a long-range hunter.

Again, I am leaning toward a Ruger Alaskan in .338 (20” barrel and iron sights”), if I can find one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used it on deer for 35 years here in GA .It was made for elk hunting they are super tough and you want to get them in their tracks !

dgr: What bullet did you use on the deer, did they blow up much?

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
If you can handle the recoil I would take a serious look at the 300 weatherby Magnum, that's one of those cartridges that can handle everything from antelope to moose!

After wanting one for about 40 years, in 2009 I finally bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard. One of the first things that I did to it was to have a KDF Muzzle Brake put on it. That took the recoil out of it and it quickly became my favorite rifle. I've taken it on numerous international hunts, and it has easily handled everything from 20 pound African antelope to Montana bull elk. I even like plinking at the 430 to 550 yard steel gongs with it at our local range.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1630 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot elk and whitetail with 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger.

Both worked great. They both did about same on the carcass. I have shot turkeys through the neck with the 375 Ruger very violent, but shot placement made for good eating turkeys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3 Ultralight exclusive from Sportsman's Warehouse in 300 WSM...paired with a 180-200 grain bullet for everything and you will want for nothing in Montana

I'd prefer a .338 Win Mag for elk and use the .270 for everything else. But no flies on the 270 as an all around rifle...easily capable of taking elk--its a top 5 elk cartridge in the country based on sales!

posted Hide Post
It sounds like the .300 Win Mag or WSM is what you're looking for

Posts: 18 | Location: northeast | Registered: 19 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had to, I would be happy with owning just one .270. (Or .30-06...better in my eyes, but animals probably wouldn't know which is which).

Your .270 Winchester will handle anything Montana has to offer.

+1

Why ask if your mind is already made up?

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, I am leaning toward a Ruger Alaskan in .338 (20” barrel and iron sights”), if I can find one

Sounds like a fine choice.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote