New
Find
Notify
Tools

30.06 @ 2,700 fps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rimmed cartridge that at best did 1950 FPS.

The 303 series of cartridges were always behind the curve.

If folks want I can summarize the various 303 Mark cartridges approved to and including the Great War over the weekend.

If no one wants me to, I will not because it is a lot to re-read and condense. I am hoping it does not rain this weekend.

Posts: 10830 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to improve my 06 with an ackley and it did a bit I suppose, but I couldn't tell..in fact the only improvement I saw over the years was I went to the 200 gr. Nosler then the 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 FPS, and its impressed me but all I got was the same velocity at the 180 and 20 grs more lead, not much but it sure seems to kill better on both large and small animals,maybe section density etc, maybe it just is what it is!! who knows but its my big game load for the most part..Not much on paper but seems so in the field? beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Ray. I appreciate your thoughts on the 200 gr. wt. for the 30.06. You've mentioned this a number of times so I know you are sold on it. My rifle likes this wt. in the Federal TTBBC. I like the idea of 200 gr. for the 30.06. One of my '06s likes the 180 gr. TTBBC as well, shooting 5/8" groups @ 100 yds. Don't know if the 20 grains makes that much difference as you said, but it's interesting that you feel so. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the bullets are design properly no animal well ever know the difference in 20grs.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By design I suppose it gets a little better penetratiion I guess, or so it seems and its the most accurate bullet Ive used and its everybit as good as the partition termminal damage.

I wouldn't bet more than a dollar bill the 20 grs. makes any difference, just seems better to me...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets losing accuracy has yet to prove itself with me, in fact its a old farce is think...I have had so many long throated guns that shot light bullets and heavy bullets about the same that I ignore the koolaide...Perhaps some have had the problem but I suggest its the barrel and the throat is getting the blame..All Brno mod 21 and 22s have o6 magazines, and long throats as do a lot of Mausers, all the many brnos Ive owned shot the 120 BX and the 130 Speer as well as any other bullet..so I cut the chambers on my custom guns the same, and they work...Not one gun in my lifetime failed to shoot lighter bullets if it had a proper twist. Ive only had problem with some 1x14 twists in a 99 250 on ocassion, but not all of them??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120