New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 roy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to build a load that is comparable to weatherby factory load. They claim that their 180 gr accubond is doing 3250 ft per sec at muzzle? I haven’t put it through the chronograph but my manuals don’t come even close to that? Am I chasing unicorns here or is that something realistic? I have acquired a Quigley Ford custom scope. They want all specs on the load. Not in any hurry here just want to do it right. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A. Weatherby factory ammo is loaded by Norma of Sweden to a higher pressure standard than USA manufacturers.

B. There has been at least two different freebore lengths used over the years in factory Weatherby rifles.

Between the two, it's hard to find manuals that list loads that aren't "soft" compared to the Weatherby ammo.

I've had great luck with H-1000.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks that’s a start

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Norma lists on their website data for the .300 Wby with MRP you might check it that out. I’ve ran Weatherby factory ammo with 180gr Nosler Partitions over a chrono and it clocked 3243 fps average in my rifle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What is a 300 roy?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
What is a 300 roy?

Thats what the hip people call the .300 Weatherby. Cool

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi saeed,

It’s just old American slang, Roy Weatherby. I have not heard it called that in a very long time. I don’t think that Mr Weatherby would want it to be called the .300 Roy. He was a really great salesman and marketing genius in his day.

JP

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot two of them and load the 180 Nosler Accubond and Partition to 3200 fps. with 85 grains of IMR-7828 lit with Fed. 215Ms.
It bumps 3000 fps with the 200gr. Speer Spitzer kicked off with 93grs. of W872 as well.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Saeed. Good for shooting whiteys at distance with 150 or 165 grain pills.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I own two Weatherby calibers a well used Mark V in 270 Weatherby (caliber was created in 1945, 150g Partitions at 3250 fps) and a Rem XCR II rechambered from 375 H&H to 375 Weatherby (caliber was created in 1947, 300g bullets at 2800 fps). Both rifles are mild improvements over the 270 Win and 375 H&H with respect to velocity. I bought the 270 Weatherby because my youngest son talked me out of my BDL in 270 Win lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote