New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Grain 375 Accubond
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do we think of the 375, 260 grain Accubond.

I have killed an elk, boar, and Whitetail with the 270 grain protected point spire point from Hornady in
375 Ruger.

The price to me is the same.

I have a few boxes of 300 grai Failsafe loads squirrelled away for anything mean.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Although not a .375 H&H, I have successfully used 200 grain AccuBonds in my .300 H&H to take eland, kudu, waterbuck, wildebeest, zebra, nyala, etc.

No complaints regarding the AccuBond's performance.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Assuming for non-dangerous game, the only advantage to the Accubond would be better accuracy and marginally higher velocity.
Surely the Hornady Interlock has a good enough terminal effect?
I love the Accubond in smaller cartridges and for milder velocity the Hornady is great too.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m the odd guy here.

In .375, and I’m talking the H&H, the 300 grain bullet is it for me. Shoots flat enough- I’ve killed stuff at 300+ yards with it- yet has the most penetration.

I don’t see 10 grains of weight changing velocities much, and in an H&H, you don’t have bullet blow ups- rather if it’s going too fast it doesn’t penetrate as well.

To me the 260 AB is the same as a 270 grain bullet, but without the penetration of a monometal.

If that’s what you are after, it will work. Accubonds do tend to be accurate in general.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 260 gr. partition and Accubonds early on as I like to try new bullets and Im a bullet digger outer!! They are a good enough bullet in the 375, but Like Crbutler, Im sold on the 300 gr. accubond or partition along with the 285 gr. Speer GS (recently dropped from speer line)…..If I need less metal I would prefer to drop to a lighter caliber in this case a 250 gr. .338 Win, Im believe I SD...I believe the shorter those bullet get the less effective they seem to be in most if not all cases..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw these responses. Thank you. I am going to play with them.

Do we consider the 300 Accubond as stout as the 300 Partition like other calibers?

I cannot complain about the Hornady interlock in game up to 450 pounds.

I wonder why Nosler did not make the Accubond 270 grain to go with the 300 grain Accubond?

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500,

I've shot the 375's for many years and killed quite a variety of game with them. I've settled on the 270 TSX for everything. It shoots as flat as the 260 NP or ACB over reasonable 375 distances and penetrates like crazy. Unless I was hunting elephant I would not bother with 300 gr bullets at all and then it would be solids.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people dont realize that the heavier bullets in a caliber actually shoot flatter. So the 300 grains will shoot flatter than a 260 grain in the 375 H&H. And similarly a 180 grain bullet in a 30-06 as opposed to a 150 grain bullet.

Just look up some ballistic program if you don't believe me!

AR

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran the 260 Accubond thru a ballistic calculator assuming 2750 FPS (and a few other things) and 200 zero the 260 Accubond drops 7.8 inches at 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 260 grain Nosler Partitions in my 375 H&H for African Plains game or similar sized critters. It is a flat shooter for sure; 300 yards no problem. I will not shoot anything (caliber or animal)beyond that distance unless it was quite a trophy AND the conditions were perfect.

My load for 260 grain NP would be 70 grains of IMR 4064 with Fed 215 Magnum primer. It clocks with 50 fps of book

I like 300 grain Round nose or Nosler Partitons for bigger and/or meaner critters. Same load except 66.5 grains of IMR 4064

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reddy,
Your partially correct the 300 gr. spitzer 375 bullet will and does shoot flater than any 375 bullet, but not until you get out to about 400 yards, its longer, holds up better and has the needed weight to kill better, is the accepted law of the gun nut...Maybe its correct, I don't doubt it, but the margine of error at those ranges tells me its just paper ballistics, nothing more..Long shots only work when the animal in questions zigs when he shouda zagged according to my dad, I don't doubt that either.

Additionally Mark Youngs comment brings up the monometal bullets? they have changed the world of ballistics all to hell..A 270 TSX is a wonder bullet in the .375 according to some true experts I know, Phil Shoemaker, Mark Young and a number of others and Im now convienced that you can drop down on "grainage" in any caliber example a 270 X bullet to a 300 partition or whatever..a 180 gr. X bullet to a 200 gr. Accubond or whatever..and gain the same effect with flatter trajectory and penetration..

Am I convienced its a better bullet in all circumstance? I would hesitate to agree with that, but may be old habits are hard to break. At any rate I still like the partitions and Accubonds...ONe thing I can guarantee, any bullet can fail, the best only on extremely rare occasions is my take on the subject..

Im opposed to short fat bullets in any caliber. I prefer SD in a bullet, along with bullet construction and long for caliber bullets.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hym,
I believe the accubond is the full equal and as good as the partitions, at least its seemed so over the last couple of years on elk, moose, Nilgai, and one Bison.. in my 375, 338 and 30-06

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120