Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Kettner Drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
Guys, a friend of mine just called me and aske if I knew anything about Ed Kettner drillings. He found a 9.2 x 74r / 16 guage on an e-mail auction site. Anyone have any experience with these and an estimate of value (assuming in good shape)? Thanks.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Bwanahile,

Eduard (yes, spelling is correct) Kettner was a German Gunsmith (est. 1884 in Cologne) who created the German version of Cabela's, basically high-end specialty stores & mailorder. They still operate in most major German cities and have some presence in Switzerland, France Austria & Turkey. I just looked in their current catalog and they no longer offer drillings under the Kettner name.

At one time (long ago) were Kettner originals from his own shop but along the way his chain contracted and marketed contract manufactured drillings under their name from a number of sources.

Their value varies greatly depending on the age & condition of the drilling, the grade, engraving, wood, extras (like special triggers, sights, ribs, insert barrels), scope mounting (if any) and with/out scope.

The 9.3x74R has been around for awhile and is a popular big game cartridge, primarily for Red Stag and Wild Boar. The .16 gauge was most common, not due to the popularity of the shotgun shell itself (although it is more often seen & shot in Europe than in the States) but because the drillings were made on a .16 gauge frame which made for a smaller, sleaker, narrower & handier action size than one based on a .12 gauge frame (.12 & .20 gauges are also made).

I was in a shop today and any drilling worth having based on solid condition start here around (Euro) 2800.00 upwards and that is without optics. What stateside prices would bear I cannot relate to you - sorry.

Anyway, happy to have been of assitance with Eduard.....

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote