New
Find
Notify
Tools

3030 hunting pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any pictures of hunting with 3030? i have savage but all flavors welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my wicked little thirty. It may be all i can hunt with after back and neck fusion. It is a sure killer. Have no clue how to post pics.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted the world over, shot all the big bores on game, but the Win. 94 SRC in 25-35 and 30-30 are still my true loves..I still hunt with both from time to time, brings back days gone by..I shot Mule deer, whitetail, Coues, elk, and Blsck bear with both, even teamed up on a Moose with my 30-30..My latest is one of my oldies of days gone by, the Savage mod. 219 Single shot in 30-30, had them in 22 HOrnet and have always wanted a 25-20 to rebore to a 25-35..cute little guns and make awesome custom rifles. Every red blooded American began life with a Win 94 carbine in 30-30, if not I feel sorry for him, he missed his due, and he will probably become a communist pig!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Win model 94ae several years ago, it's still one of my two favorite rifles. I love to shoot my 30-30, but in Illinois we can only hunt varmints with rifles so I don't have any pics. But I would love to get that chance.

Posts: 14 | Location: West Central Illinois | Registered: 18 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Domit,

The .30-30 is a fine cartridge, one that has been responsible for more dead deer in its career than anyone can imagine. Kept within reasonable distances, it delivers more than enough power for a large number of species and does so in a gentle, easy-to-operate package.

My current .30-30 wears twin tubes, an amazing creation of Aaron Little (a bespoke gunmaker from right here on AR). Originally a 28 gauge side-by-side by Victor Sarasqueta, Aaron converted it to a svelte little double rifle.

I've had her afield a few times; here's a couple of pics are her at work...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Now that's purdy!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Doesn't contain any dead critters but just out hunting for them. It's a 1975 Marlin 336 .30-30.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People that shoot the 30-30 don't know how to take pictures much less use a camera, I pretty well fit that bill in my 30-30 days, still do to a lesser degree, well maybe lesser. I still forget to take pictures of what I shoot, sometimes I get lucky and someone around me takes them!! old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all !! trying to find cool something to hunt this spring. this savage 99 really is fun to shoot/

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a pretty decent .30-30 Savage 99 not long ago. Still kicking myself for not. Fun guns to be sure.

The photo above was taken not long after I stupidly missed shooting a decent blacktail buck. CRYBABY

.30-30's are great blacktail rifles and very under appreciated in today's world. Good ones don't stand out in the open like a mulie or even a whitetail will so ranges tend to be short. A .30-30 hits pretty hard for its size so trails are usually short. I also have a couple Winchester 94's but my aging eyes like a scope better for threading a bullet through the brush.

Have fun with yours. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always said the 30-06 and 300 magnums become a 30-30 at some point as the range increases..but it seem some think the 300 magnum is a 1000 to 2000 yard gun these days, and the 30-30 isn't worth a flip at 200 or 300 yards..Ive shot a number of deer at 200 and 300 yards with a Win. 94 30-30 carbine, and a number of elk at a 100 yards with one and a couple at 200 yards..Never underestimate the 30-30 if the shooter does his part..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does this count from yesterday? 30-30 bullets don't bounce off like .22 does. Just my old Model 94 put to good use.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the armadillo? Are they considered vermin, pest, edible or just fun shoot like rabbits etc?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 94 made in 1954. Using Shutterfly at the moment and don't haven't figured out embedding the photo just yet. Will get on imgur soon. Link does work.

https://pix.sfly.com/zViK5n

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naki, they are absolutely vermin. I left that one for the coyote. During the Great Depression, they were called prime rib on the half shell. About 20% of them carry leprosy, so I just don't bother with doing anything with them. They root sort of like a pig, but certainly destructive.

They are dumb as dirt and have terrible eyesight and hearing. I got pretty close to this one. I have to leave my German Shepherd at the house or he chases them just to roll them over.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my favorite .30-30:

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've always been more of a Winchester guy but that Marlin right there would work fine for me! Nice set up you have there.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
During the Great Depression, they were called prime rib on the half shell.

Also Possum on the Half Shell and "Hoover Hogs".

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aaron little contact information
?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
found him! thanks all!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Bump for what could be a great thread.

Use Postimages.org to share your photos

I'll try to have an animal down soon with my 30-30 so I can contribute.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive hunted the world over, shot all the big bores on game, but the Win. 94 SRC in 25-35 and 30-30 are still my true loves..I still hunt with both from time to time, brings back days gone by..I shot Mule deer, whitetail, Coues, elk, and Blsck bear with both, even teamed up on a Moose with my 30-30..My latest is one of my oldies of days gone by, the Savage mod. 219 Single shot in 30-30, had them in 22 HOrnet and have always wanted a 25-20 to rebore to a 25-35..cute little guns and make awesome custom rifles. Every red blooded American began life with a Win 94 carbine in 30-30, if not I feel sorry for him, he missed his due, and he will probably become a communist pig!! rotflmo

Found this on the web, I know it's out of the Pinnel and Talifson book, Last of the Great Brown Bear Men. Great book by the way. This is the largest brown bear I have ever seen in print, looks like a 30-30 next to it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A month or two ago I bought a 30-30 Savage 99, that had been professionally refinished, and what a job they did..The blue is awesome as the polishing was supper, it has a 22 inch barrel and iron sights and the bore is excellent, never drilled and tappped, has the straight grip and square lever, buttstock to a Win. 94 simi cresent butt plate, the wood has lots of grain and color and covered with excellent checkering...I bought this gun from an AR compadre, and does it ever shoot with shallow V barrel mounted iron sights, under 2 inches at 100 even with my old worn out eyes...The seller pictured it in the classified and lots of commits, so I jumped on it in time to get it bought, the best gun dea; I ever made..Turns out it was done by old time gunbuilder George Beitzinger (sp?) gun shop.

Shot a few does with it this year down South..

Its a keeper, wish I could post a picture but cannot, however I suspect the photo is still in AR Classified someplace.

Now I have 3, 30-30s and a 25-35..all SRC Win 94s that are all shooters, all collectors..and one 99? Savage (1929). they just keep showing up.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From domit. I will let him tell the tale

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Pacecars . savage made in 1910. bubba drilled it before I got it. under 1 inch with flex tips. really fun to hunt with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very NICE buck

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wally Johnson "Last Ivory Hunter, Capstick" said he killed numerous lions with a model 94, 30-30 when he was a young man in growing up in Africa.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not I’ve never shot one.

The only one I have ever held is a very early takedown/octagon barrel in incredible condition. I’ll inherit it one day.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
come on sports fans ! got to be more than this? who else likes going old school?