Find
Notify
Tools

Recognise these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi everyone, please help me identify these. They are all .338 calibre bullets. I know now # one is a 250gr Woodleigh weldcore PP, I think # 2 is a BarnesX, #3 & #4 I don't know? You could view the other links for top & bottom views.

Thanx
Johan

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/johan338/IMG_75171.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/johan338/IMG_75181.jpg

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mmmmmmmmm, no 4 looks to be a hornady, dunno about the solid, monolithic of some persausion????

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quick guess I would say #2 barnes TSX #3 barnes banded solid #4 hornady spire point.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
quick guess I would say #2 barnes TSX #3 barnes banded solid #4 hornady spire point.

I agree on #4 it does look like hornady spire point, but what is the monolithic #3?
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#4 looks like the 225 I used in my Ruger #1 in
340 Roy...another stupid trade I lost on!!

LeRoy

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
I agree on #4 it does look like hornady spire point, but what is the monolithic #3?
Johan

A - Square - monolithic solid - 250 gr

See: A - square

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
A - Square - monolithic solid - 250 gr

See: A - square[/QUOTE]

I think you're right!!!! Thanks Mouse!!!
Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
#2 is a Barnes TSX #4 is a 225 grain Hornady Interlock spire point.

My .338 Win Mag with the Krieger cut rifled barrel likes the first two but won't shoot #4 worth a damn. Going to try them in a 338-06.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#3 looks more like the old Barnes monometal solid before groves and the flattened tip. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 looks like an A-square to me

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
1# looks like a Woodleigh Protected Point, #2 Barns X, #4 maybe a Hornady interlock?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
# 1 could also be a Bear Claw, # 2 is a TSX, and # 4 certainly is a Hornady

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 250 gr. tbbc
#2..250 gr barnes tsx..fb
#3..250 gr. barnes monolithic solid
#4..250 gr. hornady interloc-spire point
ta daaaaaa
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everybody missed it on #4. Hornady uses a secant ogive, and this bullet appears to have a tangent ogive. If so, I'm guessing it's a WW Power Point.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#4 is a Hornady and has a secant ogive. #3 is the old ITTC monolithic solid, and if its not then someone copied it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
#4 is a Hornady and has a secant ogive.

Maybe so. I just can't detect the angle change in the photo. Most Hornady secants have a fairly pronounced angle where the secant begins. I will stipulate that the nose looks more like a Hornady than a PPoint.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote