THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Learn something everyday, 338 spectre

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learn something everyday, 338 spectre
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
http://www.reedsammo.com/Page4.html

Then always this one:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=389&BulletWeight=180

Money no object, it would be a fun 'woods' cartridge, think of a 180 ballistic tip at 2400-2500fps, recoil far less than a 30/30, 308, or 338 Federal but I think the killing powder would likely be solid at close shots.

If one wanting short range deer dumper w minimal blast and light recoil for a child/woman, these 338 'mini's" might be a good option along with a 357 lever, or 357 maximum.

I think you could likely watch your hits in a low powered scope. I bet a 180 BT at that speed would give good penetration and wound channel.

If limited to woods hunting only, I think it would be neat but never a commercial round. Likely a good handgun round for close shots.

Just wanted to pass on the read. Coming from the deep south, where woods ranges are close.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah looks interesting. What is the parent case? Looks like a .30 Rem or 6.8 SPC. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cant see the use in a round that only equals a 38-55.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know on the Whisper, but just read an article on the Specter and it stated the case was a 10mm necked

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Spectre is on the 10mm magnum case, the Whisper above shows the version using 7BR brass as the platform case.

I think the whisper would be a neat round to thump deer in woods w/o making so much fuss.

Read handgun forum hunter rave on the 338JDJ #2 slinging 200 Hornady's at 2350-2400 in short bbl. Said it was 'devastating on whitetails', I don't doubt say under 150 yds.

A 338 Whisper should do that speed, and I think a better job than a thutty thutty, but it was interesting. Never would be viable commercially, the 338 federal hopefully will, and gain traction. It can be downloaded, and also fits into a short action. I doubt you would ever run into anyone in the woods with one! There is even a 375 whisper/300 gr loads! Expansion I would ponder on that one.

Folks, if you have yet to try BR cased cartridges, well you would have to do so to understand but the word FUN comes to mind, do the job w/in their limits and you can spot hits. Saves your ears and shoulder, but I hunt where many set ups are under 100 yds, and you would not need more gun.

I think seeing what handgun hunters do with much less speed/ft lbs tells us, even mundane rounds like the 338 Fed using 200's at 2600 can do a lot of killing at normal ranges, not a beanfield gun or cross canyon gun, but Al Miller once said the fireplug 350 Rem Mag is much flatter than many realize and carries a good load getting there. Indeed it does. More than I need here in the south, but I like 33's and 35's in moderate cases as regardless of angle of impact, the bullets seem to get there w/o using premiums, and they cut a good deep wound channel, to me an advantage esp. when trying to minimize any potential tracking job on an evening hunt.

I have had great luck with 708's, 260's, and 6.5x55's, but given a choice on a evening woods hunt, would feel better using more bullet, just because. No animal fairly hit with the above will survive, nor likely go far, but if a CNS hit is not made, on occasion you will have to track some and that is a headache in heavy cover and sometimes little blood trail. Remember a guy fairly hit a nice whitetail few years ago, ran about 100 yds or so, but little blood and spotty. Took awhile to find it, would have been much easier to locate it had the same hit been made with a 33 or 35 as perhaps the exit would have let more blood out for trailing. Thoughts?

What is interesting on the OP first link, expansion of the 338 200 hornady at 1400-1500 fps......admirable and enough do much more than punch a hole as a fmj. No Hornady manual but looked at a 215 sierra at 2300, has about 1570 lbs of energy and 1800 fps at 300 yds, 200 zero/300 poi -12". I say a rifle in a 338 Whisper would be a solid 200-250 yd rifle and even 300 yds would not be out of the question on deer if you knew the drop, that is a +3" at 100 POI.

The 338 Federal will give another 75 yds or so I imagine of range perhaps a tad more. The 338/06 would be a solid 400 yd round and I would use it on elk that far, the 308 version to 300.

If Ruger and other companies would have chambered 338/06's I think they would sell well and catch on......marketing hype.....energy like a magnum but w/o recoil. I guess after Weatherby tried it and little launch success the industry wanted something new, and I do like the 308 version, but it seems if the industry supports the Whelen, then the 338/06 should be given the same support?

Well, perhaps after we go full circle maybe....

Anyway, for average deer hunters not needing long range equipment, I think mid bores should be more commonly used and perhaps would be if there were more 'non-magnum' based choices that people could handle/shoot well. Accuracy is paramount as we know, but more mass has attributes on game.

Looking forward to hearing reports this season by 338 Federal users. I think they will be happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think id stick w/ a 32 win spl or a 38-55. i might go so far as to say the 375 winchester would all do anything this roung could then some.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
You are probably correct on the 375, but I like my 357 mag in my Marlin 1894, beyond that I will shoot a bolt or single shot. The 450 Marlin intrigues me, but I have no Moose or Grizz in my area. 32 and 38-55 does not get my interest.

My next 338 may be a Ruger Hawkeye or #1 A in 338 Federal. Cannot warm up to the Win Mag, though it has a great record and is one heck of a good round, I don't have much place to put it to use. Felt real comfortable on an elk hunt with my 338-06, till when I came home and on the first shot the bolt handle fell free of the bolt body, not the rounds fault.... Remingtons.

Another topic......meanwhile today my friend and I sighted in his 350 RM that was mine, a 77 Stainless, shot RIGHT to Point of Aim at 200 yds with 225 partitions so he is good to go on Elk soon. I really believe in the quality of the new Ruger's in house barrels, they shoot. Gun is better after a trigger job, but it puts them where you point it, consistently, and that is good by my standards.