Find
Notify
Tools

Silencer on a 300 Winmag?
 Login/Join

Picture of Tomsky
posted
Hello. wave
Have anyone of you mounted a silencer on your rifle in cal. 300 Winmag?
I'm hunting for seals thumb, and I don't always get to pic the best spot to lay down and shoot.The recoil on my Tikka Master can be pretty hard for the shoulder when I shoot. nut
Are there any help in an silencer also for the soundeffects? For use on Foxhunting and Goosehunting.

Tomsky

Posts: 41 | Location: Norway | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
Hi!

I've used 300win mags and RUM's with BR Reflex and Hausken suppressors. Both are very effective - they take the recoil level down to 243-6.5 level and almost eliminates muzzle blast and sound, - of course you will hear the bullet breaking the soundbarrier, much like a high velocity 22LR.
The Hausken is my favorite - it's light and doesn't change the point of impact - the Reflex is heavy and do shift the point of impact much!

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375RUM:
Hi!

I've used 300win mags and RUM's with BR Reflex and Hausken suppressors. Both are very effective - they take the recoil level down to 243-6.5 level and almost eliminates muzzle blast and sound, - of course you will hear the bullet breaking the soundbarrier, much like a high velocity 22LR.
The Hausken is my favorite - it's light and doesn't change the point of impact - the Reflex is heavy and do shift the point of impact much!

Hi fellow Norwegian. thumb

I think I will try the extended version of Hausken on my 300wm. Gets a 8 inch longer silencer that way. They say the BR leaves a thin metalpling when they use it.Don't now if thats tru, but I dont like the looks on the BR silencer so I choose Hausken.
That have to help on the recoil as well as on the thunder. thumb

One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
I can confirm that the BR makes a pling noise, it also sounds like a church bell if you bump into something ;-) The so called mirage effect is also a lot worse with the BR.

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375RUM:
I can confirm that the BR makes a pling noise, it also sounds like a church bell if you bump into something ;-) The so called mirage effect is also a lot worse with the BR.

Do I need the extended version of Hausken, or is the original enough?
Haven't heard much about the extended version yet.Only that it reduces about 4-5% more than the original Hausken.Isn't that much in these "means and measures"?

One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
The extended Hausken will provide even better sound suppression, if you dont mind some extra weight and length.I have the original version of the Hausken suppressor. The extended is to haevy for me and makes the rifle too long for my taste.
I´ve used Hausken suppressors in 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 243win, 308win, 300winmag and 300 RUM, BR Reflex in 243win, 300winmag and 338 RUM.

posted Hide Post
I had a BR Reflex on my 338 RUM, the recoil was down to a 30-06 but the mirage and weight problem was so bad that i'm rebuilding my gun too a more decent cal.
Recoilproblem: Get a good recoilpad an put a "quicksilver recoil reduser" in ure stock !!
for more info call magnumhansen.
http://www.magnumhansen.com/
Thats what i did. Wink

Posts: 3 | Location: Norway | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
They say the BR leaves a thin metalpling when they use it

------------------------
I'm gonna miss that "pling" serius !! ^^

one of us
posted Hide Post
What loads are you guys using in the "bigguns" with those suppresors? Just very curious! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
I use the same loads with suppressors as I do without.

posted Hide Post
Same loads with ore without suppresor.