THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    358 GREMLIN Pics dies load info ect.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 GREMLIN Pics dies load info ect.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence wave
Fireball will be doing all the hard work so maybe he should get that job Smiler

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Qual Cart can do headstamped brass...$1.70 a pop 500 min order large primer pocket and Qual Cart will pay for tooling. If quantities go up the costs go down obviously. anyone want 10,000??? Smiler

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The Gremlin lives dancing

Thanks to Fireball!

Here is a copy of his innitial testing.

I haven't had time to compile all my data from yesterday, but here's a bit:

17.25" 1/12 McGowen barrel, carbine length gas system.

180g Hornady SSP

24.5g of Lil Gun = 2175 fps

25.5g of Lil Gun = 2325 fps

25g WC-820 = 2125 fps

26.5g WC-820 = 2215 fps

The rifle weighs 5.6 lbs, Cavalry arms lower - standard buffer, A3 upper w/carbine length free float tube.

I haven't taken the average of five cases, yet, but the case fluffed out approximately 1.3g of water after fireforming.

I opened up the port size .010", rejected a few loads that weren't even within 300 fps of QL's predictions - these two loads matched or exceeded the predicition.

Testing will continue the middle of next week.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Not bad, you are within 220 fps of the Whisper version data I have seen with 7BR platform. BTW, the data was with VV N110 and Norma 200.

Should be effective, yet mild. Like to see some accuracy info when you gather it as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So fired cases are 39 grains of water capacity. (Same capacity as the 44 rem mag)

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great job Fireball!!!!!!

[URL=358 GREMLIN]https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/828107597/p/1[/URL]

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
You guys do all the work and I reap the benefits of others' knowledge. I know I;m lazy but also low on funds and time with the overtime at the prison. I'm needing an upper now. I only have a bare lower right now. Anyone with an experimental 35 Gremlin upper they want to sell? PM me and I'll try to do something. Packy

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got an extra upper I'd sell - but I think it would cause you more aggravation that anything right now.

I'm meeting with the manufacturer of the basic brass at SHOT, and trying to get some magazines made to my specifications.

Once the brass lands, I'll tweak the reamer if needed, then tweak the dies if needed - then wait for the magazines to show...then start knocking some of them out.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK. I guess I can wait. Packy

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got two manufacturer's here at SHOT today interested in making some magazines.

They figure it'll be at the very least a couple of weeks before I've got a prototype in hand, but they've got the dummy cartridges and understand the concern.

For those interested in bolt guns - I'll be shipping a reamer and gauges to McGowen shortly(2 weeks or less).

They'll be doing the fitting to customer rifles, I'll be stocking their drop in Savage barrels with a complete PPC bolt.

Unfortunately, none of the Hornady custom shop fellows were in attendance, so it'll be at least next week before I can get a die order submitted.

Basic brass is still in the works, couldn't find the supplier today - but I'll find them tomorrow. The 7.62x39 brass is working pretty good when necked back up with a .400" expander, then full length sized.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
I've got two manufacturer's here at SHOT today interested in making some magazines.

They figure it'll be at the very least a couple of weeks before I've got a prototype in hand, but they've got the dummy cartridges and understand the concern.

For those interested in bolt guns - I'll be shipping a reamer and gauges to McGowen shortly(2 weeks or less).

They'll be doing the fitting to customer rifles, I'll be stocking their drop in Savage barrels with a complete PPC bolt.

Unfortunately, none of the Hornady custom shop fellows were in attendance, so it'll be at least next week before I can get a die order submitted.

Basic brass is still in the works, couldn't find the supplier today - but I'll find them tomorrow. The 7.62x39 brass is working pretty good when necked back up with a .400" expander, then full length sized.

Awesome news Fireball!!!

The only missing link fixed!

You the man! clap

dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Are you guys still happy with the performance of the 35 Gremlin in the AR platform? Any extra pros or cons that have surfaced after this initial setup was created and more real-world using has been done? How much extra terminal performance are you seeing compared to the 6.5 Grendel?

This cartridge intrigued me from the start, but I was waiting to see how it truly performed. I assume it's just a matter of buying a 7.62x39 upper and rebarreling - all the other components should stay the same, right?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on prototype magazines, although I've found the PRI 6.8 SPC magazines work considerably better than the C-Products Grendel magazines at this point.

I've got some Savage bolt rifles running in Gremlin now - haven't pushed the loads any harder than the previous data I've listed here and there 2350 fps with the 180 Hornady SS/SP.

Of course, now that hunting season is getting closer - the interest has peaked again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
has any one put this round in a hand gun yet? I would think that it would be great in a TC.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of inquiries for T/C barrels - wouldn't hesitate to send a reamer to MGM if somebody wanted one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would this round work in a 1895 Spanish action?Might be fun.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireball, please update us when you can. Thanks. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
Still waiting on prototype magazines, although I've found the PRI 6.8 SPC magazines work considerably better than the C-Products Grendel magazines at this point.

Interesting. How many cartridges does the PRI mag hold?

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Waiting on more die sets to show up.

Sold out of everything but two Savage barrels, the AR uppers went pretty quickly.

Several folks have asked about Encore barrels, will have MGM make up a couple later this winter/early spring.

Wish I had more to say, will be glad when the Custom Shop gets caught up on their die orders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wondering if this project has been a success. How about the hunt reports? Anyone? TIA

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
It isn't my best seller, but doesn't do too bad.

More Savages running around than anything else, these newer centerfeed actions (originally 223) feed pretty slick and opening the bolt head up isn't much of a chore.

I've got a couple of stainless Savage barrels here now and several sets of dies.

Seems to kill Indiana whitetail pretty well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt action guns. I have wondered about the CZ-527 carbine? Maybe it would make a good little gun. But the Savage sounds like the best bolt action gun and maybe the most economical one.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I should get me one of these.
Guess I should look on the website for conversion costs. With the performance of a 35 Remington should be good for up to Black Bear in a super light rig!

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I was going to do a 527, I bought one, but it shoots so good I can't bring myself to rebarrel it. Now they are dangerously close to $600 for a synthetic model and well above that for walnut.

Ruger 77 Compacts in 7.62x39 are relatively affordable in the mid $400 range, almost bought one last week at Whittakers.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Would be interesting if the ruger bolt action could be rebored. I would assume so but if you get your hands on one it would be great if you could measure the barrel diameter at the muzzle. A rechamber and rebore job should be about $350.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Muzzle is .535", don't see it happening.

And, without setting back the barrel two threads, the Gremlin won't clean up the 7.62x39 shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
Do you have anyone making headstamped brass yet?
I could ask Pete at Qual-Cart and see what he would charge.
I wonder who makes a 35 barrel that has a profile contour that would fit the Ruger. I would want at least a 1 in 12 twist.
What is your opinion on max pressure. Seems the Grendel is advised to keep under 50k psi. I like the idea of duplicating the 35 Rem performance in an AR 15 but I wonder what top loads could be in a bolt action. 180's @ ? 200's @ ?

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Haven't even made any inquiries as to properly headstamped brass - there hasn't been anybody asking for it.

The Alexander Arms Lapua is still about the cheapest way to go, Silver State Armory 6 PPC brass works well, have only tried a couple of the Hornady Grendel/LBC brass - they seemed to be fine as well.

Still haven't pushed them in a bolt/single shot, seems like most folks are content at just under 2400 fps with the 180's, 200's in the mid to high 2200's.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I think the 200 grain TTSX at 2,200 could be pretty sweet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would the 200 gr Remington PSP bulk bullet be too long for this caliber?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I dont know why any 200 grain bullet would be too long but the question is how will they open up at desired impact velocities. What platform? Have dimensions or a pic of the bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem 200 gr protected point was made for the 35 Remington speeds. The flat point was made for lever guns with tube magazines. Either should open up at 35 rem velocities. On sale frequently at MidwayUSA. I try to buy a hundred of either when on sale.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Any 35 Rem bullet should be good. That's one reason why this cart is so cool Smiler

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
depending on how this shoots. I may have my next project

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Awesome!
In a bolt action the 358 Gremlin is a potent little monster.
Should be good for anything Within 200 or 250 yards in NA. I hope the 35 cal Raptor bullet will be 180 grains and make that cart sing with that weight.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Fireball, any news on magazines?

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Nothing, C-Products folded and I didn't make it to SHOT this year.

The PRI 6.8 magazines work pretty decent for the most part.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn. Wish I would have known. I could have shopped around the show for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
richj, what rifle is that?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://books.google.com/books?...CYBw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

Now in cartridges of the world