THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    20 inch barrell in 300 winchester magnum.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 inch barrell in 300 winchester magnum.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
I believe the scout concept of JEFF COOPER is gret development that marked the path of a lot of new weapons systems ,m4s ,police remintongs rugers ,steyrs etc i only like the forward mounted sigth in DG short range situations or in CQB but the overall concept is greatand based in the experience of the great laboratory that was GUNSITE .
I hunt every year in the mountains and i walk a lot too with clients and military units ,a good short long range rifle ,its a great thing .
Althoug we shoot daily most of our courses are extremely practical .We are losing not more than 148 feets with 150 grains points .I ll publish an article soon about the matter.

I definitely believe that. Standard velocity loss with slow burning powders for a 7mm Mag or 300 Mag is about 30 fps per inch. You can definitely lose less than that by using faster powder.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
One of my very favorite rifles is my 1964 BROWNING Safari Grade in 300 WM. I had the stock refinished in 1988 to include an ebony fore end tip and pistol grip cap, re cut checkering, jeweled bolt and honed action. In 1992 a new steel floor plate and trigger guard was installed and a French grey engraved scale of justice with rosettes was done with the caliber and my initials in gold.
In 1992, David Miller in Tucson rebedded the action and barrel and in 1993 rebarreled it with a 26" Krieger. In his opinion 26 inches gets the most out of the 300 WM and he would not advise shorter than 24. The scope is a Leupold 3.5 to 10.

I have shot many heads of game with that rifle, both in North America, Mexico and Africa using the 180 grain Nosler Partition. Largest animal with one shot, a Cape Eland. I believe this caliber is well capable of taking any of our north American big game, and most of the larger African species using the heavier bullets was it legal to do so. I never found the 26" barrel to be a hindrance.

I took sometime here to show my affection for not only this rifle but this cartridge.

In my reading of the TAC Ops article they do not recommend shorter than 22 inches. I am not a SWAT team shooter
and there is a difference between their operations and a rifle built and designed for hunting. In the urban environment where their interest is mainly focused, I fail to see why the .308 would not be more than sufficient. OK, I know, bigger is always better (?)

I am no expert and surely do not have the hunting and shooting experience so many of you have, including my good friend Juan Pozzi. It is therefore only my opinion that I would not consider a barrel shorter than 24 inches in this caliber nor would I consider the scout concept.

I knew Jeff Cooper when he was alive and visited him at his home in Paulden, Arizona, a few times with an African PH that we both had hunted with. Believe me he is a hard man to disagree with and I never did so. Intrigued with the scout concept I tried it on two rifles. The large caliber one was my Marlin guide gun in 45-70. I carried it on an elk hunt several years ago and hunted with a good friend who also had the same rifle. Mine was scout scoped, his a fixed 4 power. After that hunt I got over the scout “fever.” At dusk I could hardly make out the reticle and as shooting light faded, it was gone. Looking through Dennis’ scope the reticle remained clear. Perhaps with a lighted reticle it would work, but for me it just is not worth it.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...CALLING WANNA BE MILITARY OR BEING UNRESPECTFULL ....
That is exactly the way it was intended. This is not a site designed for Freedom Freeloaders who are too YELLOW to join the Military, but love to blow-hard about Killing Humans. Attempting to turn it into such trash degrades the site.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
hot core ill not continue ,this discussion ,we dont talk about killing humans just about a practical short 300 winchester THAT COULD BE USED AS A DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLE OR A REAL MOUNTAIN OR HUNTING RIFLE.
Sometimes killing a terrorist can save the lives of many inocent people ,besides that IM A SURGEON AND I SAVE LIVES EVVERYYEAR SO YOU CONTINUE BEING UNEDUCATED.I FINISH THIS MATTER .
DR JUAN PABLO POZZI ZURBRIGGEN MDPHD

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for your son ,Chuck ,im sure that you are very proud of him ,they are the one of the best forces in the world, and if ,they favour short rifles is because they are extremely practical men .But just consult most of the PHs or shooting instructors in the world and everybody prefer a short rifle in the field .
Now with the new powders you can go very short without losing velicity..

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hot core ill not continue ,this discussion ...
Good!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
FINALLY A PHOTO OF THE EXPERIMENTAL MONSTER we will replace the stock for a good syntetic stock.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations for your son ,Chuck ,im sure that you are very proud of him ,they are the one of the best forces in the world, and if ,they favour short rifles is because they are extremely practical men .But just consult most of the PHs or shooting instructors in the world and everybody prefer a short rifle in the field .
Now with the new powders you can go very short without losing velicity..

Thanks Juanpozzi, I am very proud of him, but the old man can still keep up with him as far as rifle shooting goes. Now for climbing, running, hand to hand those days are long gone ... lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Chuck ,i always wins to my son in rifle ,but hes very good with shotgun and pistol in ipsc matches -he shoots near 200 shells a day with his TANFOGLIO 9 mmm-.....hes 14 but weigth 85 kilos and hes 1,85 mts ...trains all the day this week end we have a pistol macht ill inform you the results. tu2
congratulations again for your great son all the free world must SAY THANK YOU to the warriors like them,.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan, I cannot believe how Iki has grown....tell him out Marine Corp needs him. And give him a hug for me, if you can reach around him....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Uncle Bill ,hes huge training all the day with weigths running and shooting.He loves the marines See my facebook DIEGO GARELLO an argentine jew that served in the marines recon .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA