New
Find
Notify
Tools

270win reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor suggested as much as 62 grs of my WW2 (4350 DATA) 4831, that I still have on hand, and that was Jacks every day max load, with Rem cases he used 60 grs..Any 4831 since that lot of powder won' take that load, in that in most chambers it would push the bullets out over night and was absolute max, but Im going to stick my neck out and tell you that no known 4831 powder will damage a strong proper 270 or 3006 rifle, even when tamped in and paked based on some old test Tony Barnes and I performed back in the day on a FN, a 98 Mauser and an old pre 64 barreled action tied to a tire...

Today I only use RL-22, 19 and H414 that is
(WW760), Why? because it meters and weighs so well, and gets very respectable velocity flame clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Anyone had issues with imr3031? Found 2 pounds of it yesterday and am trying to figure out what calibers need to try it. I did read a few posts saying it is temperature sensitive

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Anyone had issues with imr3031? Found 2 pounds of it yesterday and am trying to figure out what calibers need to try it. I did read a few posts saying it is temperature sensitive

Way too fast burning for the .270 Win. You won't see it in loading manuals. The best velocity you could get with a 130-grain bullet would be about 2950 fps, about 200 fps lower than can be achieved with the best .270 powders. Can't comment on accuracy potential, but it's just not a .270 Win. powder.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I used to use IMR 3031 for less than full power varmint loads in my 270 Win. Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3200 fps. IMR 3031 is definitely too fast for either 130g or 150g bullets.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the insight. I think I have some of those .277 90gr hpbt's on the shelf.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Chucks load---47 0r 49 gr. IMR 3031 shot excellent in my Pre 64 M70 std. weight! Don't know why but 48gr. didn't shoot very well. All with the 90 gr. Sierra H.P.!

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I said I'd get back to you all once I had a chance to shoot the 150's thru my Sendero and chronograph the results. Here's what I got: 60.4 grains of RL26 with a 150 Speer Grand Slam 3164 fps extreme spread 24fps. 60.4 Grains of RL26 with a 150 grain Nosler Partition 3166fps extreme spread 48fps. Groups were only fair for this rifle 1" to 1.25". In this rifle I'll stick with 130 Ballistic Tips and IMR4831. I'll shoot the 150's with RL26 thru my Model 70 and see what I get there.

That's all for now, more results latter on.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Nice thanks! Try 58.5g of H4831 and CCI Magnum primers with the 150g bullets. As always work up slowly and watch for pressure signs.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
I said I'd get back to you all once I had a chance to shoot the 150's thru my Sendero and chronograph the results. Here's what I got: 60.4 grains of RL26 with a 150 Speer Grand Slam 3164 fps extreme spread 24fps. 60.4 Grains of RL26 with a 150 grain Nosler Partition 3166fps extreme spread 48fps. Groups were only fair for this rifle 1" to 1.25". In this rifle I'll stick with 130 Ballistic Tips and IMR4831. I'll shoot the 150's with RL26 thru my Model 70 and see what I get there.

That's all for now, more results latter on.

Jerry

That's really outstanding velocity (unreal really) for a 150-gr. bullet from a .270 Win using RL26, Jerry. Is the bbl. length on your Sendero 24"? Seems as if you are lucky in having a fast barrel on that Sendero. Were you loading into full-length-sized cases or neck-sized (which would give you an extra 2 gr. case capacity)? Was accuracy better at a grain or two less? 3000 fps for a 150-grainer from a .270 Win. would still be really outstanding and would put that .270 into 7mm. Rem. Mag. territory.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Nice thanks! Try 58.5g of H4831 and CCI Magnum primers with the 150g bullets. As always work up slowly and watch for pressure signs.

That looks like a good load. What velocity have you been able to get with it? And loaded into full-length-sized or neck-resized cases?

- Bertrand Russell

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Just over 3000 fps, 3022 fps average in Remington BDL 22" barrel. Cases are neck sized only, so they are a little bigger capacity wise.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
s that Sendero. Were you loading into full-length-sized cases or neck-sized (which would give you an extra 2 gr. case capacity)? Was accuracy better at a grain or two less? 3000 fps for a 150-grainer from a .270 Win. would still be really outstanding and would put that .270 into 7mm. Rem. Mag. territory.[/QUOTE]

26"barrel South, full length sized cases. I didn't try loading The RL26 with less powder than was the suggested load. I was more interested in seeing if the published data was correct, and it is. I have a one hole load in my Sendero, so I'm done experimenting with it. If it'll shoot nice groups in my "hunting" rifle Model 70, I'll use it there. we'll see!

Regards

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
s that Sendero. Were you loading into full-length-sized cases or neck-sized (which would give you an extra 2 gr. case capacity)? Was accuracy better at a grain or two less? 3000 fps for a 150-grainer from a .270 Win. would still be really outstanding and would put that .270 into 7mm. Rem. Mag. territory.

26"barrel South, full length sized cases. I didn't try loading The RL26 with less powder than was the suggested load. I was more interested in seeing if the published data was correct, and it is. I have a one hole load in my Sendero, so I'm done experimenting with it. If it'll shoot nice groups in my "hunting" rifle Model 70, I'll use it there. we'll see!

Regards

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Every rifle and barrel are different. This rifle is on it's 3rd barrel (went from stock to Douglas to Hart) all great barrels. It shoots nickel sized 3 shot groups at 100 yards with my Max load. The only other load I shoot through it is Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3400 fps. It's also an incredibly accurate load. I probably have somewhere between 5000 and 10000 rounds through this rifle over the decades I've had it, the majority of them the Sierra 90gs Gave it to my youngest son about five years ago. He got his first elk with it. It
s the bottom rifle, the top one is a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby.

Regards,

Chuck