New
Find
Notify
Tools

270win reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
with how hard it is to find powder what are some powders guys like for this round. Also can I use magnum cci primers for the 270 0r do I need to get different ones for the 270

Posts: 554 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm old-school (or dated in my knowledge), but I've found Re-22, Re-19, H-4831, IMR-4831 IMR-4350 to work well in mine.

I've used magnum primers in my loads using Re-22 and ages ago I compared velocity of those loads with identical loads using standard primers. No change in average velocity, but the extreme spread of velocities was actually lower in the magnum-primed rounds than in the rounds with standard primers.

I myself would certainly try magnum primers with any of those propellants, with the caveat that I'd start low and work up.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
IMR4064 and 130 grain bullets are the most accurate I've played with, a load a friend of mine tipped me off to.
Yes Magnum primers are just fine if that's what you have, some people will tell you to back off on the powder charge if you are substituting them in an existing load but if you are just developing a load for it then start low and work your way up.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to state three old staples for the 270 Win are H4350, IMR 4064, and H4831.
I have tried all three and they all shot well with 130’s and 150’s. Velocities and charge levels depended on the rifle.

This rifle has a lot of freebore in front the the chamber, so I could push the bullets faster, but, groups were not as tight as my M70 with a custom barrel.

WC852 is a military surplus powder, Accurate Arms sells a faster lot as AA2700

Then, out with the pre 64 M70 with a custom barrel cut to a SAKO Finnbear Contour

SAKO contour as measured by me

I later came to the conclusion that those high and wild shots are due to these bullets tumbling. This was a revelation to discover that even boat tail bullets will tumble, probably at the transition of super sonic to sub sonic.

I am going to state, just skip over H4350, IMR 4064 and go direct to H4831. I received higher velocities before pressure problems, and the accuracy was outstanding. Now loads developed in the FN Deluxe, shot well, but blew primers.

So back to my gun club range, and cut the loads, and check the accuracy

Shot well at 300 yards

Did not tumble at 600 yards

However, I did not take a picture of the 50.0 grs H4831 with the 150 Fed fusion that did tumble at 600 yards.

The sequence was this. I shot these 150 Speers first. Not great accuracy at 300 yards, but will more or less hold the ten ring.

And then, all over the place at 600 yards.

I did not know what to think. Checked tightness of action, rings, everything OK. So went to 150 Federals and 50.0 grains H4831.
Shot well at 300 yards,

But acted similarly to the 150 Speer’s at 600 yards. I really was disgusted, thought maybe the crosshairs were loose in the scope. It was a damn, damn, and damn disappointment and I was ready to go home. But I decided to blaze away with the 150 Federals and 50.5 grains H4831. And they shot well at 200 yards, 300 yards, and 600 yards. I then realized, I did not have a gun problem, but a bullet stability problem.

H4350 shot well at 300 yards

I think the wild shots are tumblers

Could not get the velocity up without blowing primers. So tumblers

130’s shot well at 300 yards

Tumbled at 600 yards

Good at 300 yards

Not sure if me or ballistic stability

Somewhere between 300 and 600 yards my 130’s are exhibiting ballistic instability, and I cannot push them fast enough to eliminate tumbling at 600 yards. I am certain the 130’s are devasting game bullets out to 300 yards, but until the ballistic stability distance is determined, I would not go out further with the things.

I would not shoot flat based bullets past 300 yards, as even my flat based 150’s tumbled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Reloader 17 with a 130 gr. Sierras ProHunter(flat base) and work up----you won't be disappointed!

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both magnum and standard primers in the 270 with same powder charges and founs a bit more pressure with the mag primers. That said, not excessive. All my prepped cases are mag primers as of now.
I've reloaded the 270 for a couple decades now and like others have a long list of powders that shoot well. 4350, 4451, 4955, 4831, Re-22, etc...
Load what you've got, it'll probably work.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Load what you've got, it'll probably work.

yep.
3031 through rl-22 or so should get the bullet down the bore with enough authority to kill at least a rabbit or maybe even a sick coyote.

I've found rl-19 to work well, but if I only had 4895 or 4064 it sure wouldn't stop me.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried any RL-26 powder in my Sako .270 but I've read great things about this powder with 150 Gr. bullets. Worth a try if you can find some and plan on shooting 150's.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pre-64 M70 has been very consistent with different loads/bullets in the 270.
I began my reloading hobby with the 270 some 30 years ago.

My hunting loads have always been with Rem cases, CCI 200 primers, and IMR4350. Just happened to begin with that combo and have not needed to change.

This rifle has been often MOA with 130 gr Partitions, 150 gr Partitions, and 130 Hornady Interlocks. I have seen no need to change. All of these have taken whitetails nicely.

Apparently the 270 works well with a variety of bullets and powders. Would like some expert to explain why some cartridges seem to work well with variety. Some are fussy.

There is a lo9t of good advice above. Try some out. When you find a good combo... go hunting.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I never used Magnum primers in the .270. Most any powder in a medium to slower burn rate powder gives good results. I have used anything from IMR 3031 to IMR 4831. The faster powders are good with lighter bullets, the slower for heavier.
I've shot most everything from 90gr to 150gr.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have worked up a bunch of rifles in 270. Used mag primers, used std primers, no noticeable differences. Tried lots of powders. didn't have any that wouldn't behave. Liked H4350 and Varget. I could live with anything I tried for powder. I liked the 80 grain TSXs but never did load them as fast as I could. 3650ish seemed like enough to me. The 270 I shoot the most was the easiest, I started with 4350 and 110 TTSX Win 209s. When I hit 55.5 grains of H4350 it just started shooting groups <1/2 inch high by caliber wide at 3170 FPS. Well under max and the velocity the powder and bullet were capable of. But damn, when they're that tight, 3170 is still plenty fast enough to kill Bambi, and it has done a fine job of that. From 25 feet to 300 yards all same-o same-o. If I had to pick one rifle and load for the rest of my deer killing, that'd be it.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 has worked very well for me with both 130 and 150 grain bullets. 4831 is also an excellent powder for the 270.
I have not had very good luck with 760, but some fellows like it.
This summer I am going to play with some RL 16 loads. It's about the same burn rate as 4350 and is reputed to be more resistant differences due to temperature changes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was experimenting with IMR Enduron 7977 with 150 Partitions until I could no longer find any partitions. I will continue to pick up where I left off once I can find a decent supply.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone I am new to reloading and started so I could get a good hunting round for my 257weatherby.

Figured the 270 would be a good one to do also and hope to get a good load figured out for 130 barnes

Posts: 554 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I have ever burned in 270Win is H4831, other than I tried a heavily compressed load of H1000 with a 140 grain cup and core bullet. The H1000 load was extremely accurate when first loaded, but after sitting on the shelf for a few months they produced shotgun patterns. Magnum primers will work fine as long as your load is worked up with them, and don't start near the top end of the data because hotter primers will increase pressure.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
All I have ever burned in 270Win is H4831, other than I tried a heavily compressed load of H1000 with a 140 grain cup and core bullet. The H1000 load was extremely accurate when first loaded, but after sitting on the shelf for a few months they produced shotgun patterns. Magnum primers will work fine as long as your load is worked up with them, and don't start near the top end of the data because hotter primers will increase pressure.

How old was the H1000 powder?

If you loaded cases with powder that was at the end of its lifetime, than the resulting NOx released as the gunpowder deteriorated in the case would have damaged the brass, and given erratic pressure curves. Deteriorated gunpowder has, and will blow up firearms.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:

How old was the H1000 powder?

If you loaded cases with powder that was at the end of its lifetime, than the resulting NOx released as the gunpowder deteriorated in the case would have damaged the brass, and given erratic pressure curves. Deteriorated gunpowder has, and will blow up firearms.

Sounds like the heavy compression of the powder eventually pushed the bullets forward changing the oal and ruining the accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
with how hard it is to find powder what are some powders guys like for this round. Also can I use magnum cci primers for the 270 0r do I need to get different ones for the 270

My pet load for many years has been neck sized Rem brass, CCI Magnum primers, H4831 (a lot) and a 150g Partition. I consistently get just over 3000 fps from our Rem BDL in 270 (22" barrel) and 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. No pressure signs on the brass, easy extraction, throw the brass out after 10 times.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like the heavy compression of the powder eventually pushed the bullets forward changing the oal and ruining the accuracy.

I am skeptical of that. OAL in the chamber is limited by the throat. And, accuracy differences in the chamber due to OAL are in the noise level compared to bullets, barrels, and bedding. If his accuracy went to hell, either something is wrong with his scope, scope mounts got loose, action screws are loose. I was suggesting old gunpowder could be a cause and is worth looking into.

I am going to state, I shot deteriorated gunpowder before I knew there was a thing with deteriorated gunpowder, and the stuff shot well. I received the occasional sticking extraction and the sound of the retort would differ. It was not until case necks started cracking did accuracy worsen, and then, by how much is hard to quantify.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
I have worked up a bunch of rifles in 270. Used mag primers, used std primers, no noticeable differences. Tried lots of powders. didn't have any that wouldn't behave. Liked H4350 and Varget. I could live with anything I tried for powder. I liked the 80 grain TSXs but never did load them as fast as I could. 3650ish seemed like enough to me. The 270 I shoot the most was the easiest, I started with 4350 and 110 TTSX Win 209s. When I hit 55.5 grains of H4350 it just started shooting groups <1/2 inch high by caliber wide at 3170 FPS. Well under max and the velocity the powder and bullet were capable of. But damn, when they're that tight, 3170 is still plenty fast enough to kill Bambi, and it has done a fine job of that. From 25 feet to 300 yards all same-o same-o. If I had to pick one rifle and load for the rest of my deer killing, that'd be it.

I used whatever powder I could get my hands on. They all worked well in the .270.

Posts: 15802 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The 270 Win is easy to reload for. Recoils less than a 30-06, but hits as hard down range. Great caliber

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding my loading a 140 grain Hornady BTSP bullet with H1000 powder, this load would stack bullets at 100 yds. when they were about a week old. After sitting on the shelf for a few months I went whitetail deer hunting in NE Kansas and shot a couple deer with this load, but somehow it didn't seem as accurate. I returned home and took rifle and this ammo to the range. It shot about 8 MOA. I then pulled a few bullets and found the solvents in the powder had caused the powder to cake up like a soft cinder block, which had to be easily scraped out of the cases. The H1000 powder was very fresh, and no the bullets hadn't moved from where they were originally seated. I used this same container of H1000 to load 338RUM, 264Win, and other magnums that I don't recall, without issue. Loading in magnum rifle cases there was never a need to compress so this powder never behaved this way in them.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For 130TTSX my M70FW liked IMR4831 best. If you are going to heavier bullets RL26 is amazing if you can find it.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 56.5 of Imr4350 for a very long time with a magnum primer with excellent results in every. 270 I have shot it in.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Since the old 270 Winchester is my favorite cartridge, and I have been loading it since 1969, I guess I have shot a few rounds thru it. Here's a little story on how I got started with the 270. I was new to shooting and reloading. I wanted a rifle/cartridge that gave more performance than the 300 Savage Model 99 I had as my only rifle. My Uncle Hans being an expert shooter from Germany said buy a 270 Winchester it is an all around cartridge you can use for varmints to elk. So I bought a Model 700 Remington. And I did just as he suggested. I shot everything including elk with great success.

For The Model 70 Winchester I have the load I prefer is 56 Grains IMR4350 with a 130 Ballistic Tip, Winchester brass. In the Model 700 Remington Sendero I shoot IMR 4831 and said Ballistic tip, also with Winchester brass. I have no preference as to standard or magnum primer. I also use RL26 with 150 grain Partitions and Speer Grand Slams. Still working these up, but the potential for great accuracy is there. I know I said this cartridge is my favorite, but I like them all.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Since the old 270 Winchester is my favorite cartridge, and I have been loading it since 1969, I guess I have shot a few rounds thru it. Here's a little story on how I got started with the 270. I was new to shooting and reloading. I wanted a rifle/cartridge that gave more performance than the 300 Savage Model 99 I had as my only rifle. My Uncle Hans being an expert shooter from Germany said buy a 270 Winchester it is an all around cartridge you can use for varmints to elk. So I bought a Model 700 Remington. And I did just as he suggested. I shot everything including elk with great success.

For The Model 70 Winchester I have the load I prefer is 56 Grains IMR4350 with a 130 Ballistic Tip, Winchester brass. In the Model 700 Remington Sendero I shoot IMR 4831 and said Ballistic tip, also with Winchester brass. I have no preference as to standard or magnum primer. I also use RL26 with 150 grain Partitions and Speer Grand Slams. Still working these up, but the potential for great accuracy is there. I know I said this cartridge is my favorite, but I like them all.

Jerry

Try H4831 or Norma MRP with the 150g Partitions. I use Rem brass, CCI Magnum rifle primers, a lot of H4831 or MRP with the 150g Partitions. I get 3000 fps and no high pressure signs. I load the cases 10 times then discard them as always. Very accurate also.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I haven't tried any RL-26 powder in my Sako .270 but I've read great things about this powder with 150 Gr. bullets. Worth a try if you can find some and plan on shooting 150's.

Yes, I've been doing some load research for my .270 (also a Sako) and have found Alliant Re26 to be clearly superior to any other powder according to QuickLoad for velocity--and for the 130-grain bullets as well as the heavier ones. I haven't chronographed any loads yet, but Re26 looks like the clear winner for velocity. Don't know yet about accuracy, but 3150 fps from my 22.5" barrel looks easily attainable.

QuickLoad indicates 2950 fps for the Nosler Partition 150-gr. from my 22.5" barrel with Re26 and safe pressures. Brings the .270 Win. close to 7 Rem. Mag. factory-ammunition performance.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:

Yes, I've been doing some load research for my .270 (also a Sako) and have found Alliant Re26 to be clearly superior to any other powder according to QuickLoad for velocity--and for the 130-grain bullets as well as the heavier ones. I haven't chronographed any loads yet, but Re26 looks like the clear winner for velocity. Don't know yet about accuracy, but 3150 fps from my 22.5" barrel looks easily attainable.

QuickLoad indicates 2950 fps for the Nosler Partition 150-gr. from my 22.5" barrel with Re26 and safe pressures. Brings the .270 Win. close to 7 Rem. Mag. factory-ammunition performance.

Sounds about right. I only neck size (even for hunting, chamber all rounds before going hunting) and use magnum primers so maybe that's what gets me to 3000 fps with the 150g Partition. Also some barrels are just faster than others. An elk or black bear won't know the difference between 2900 fps and 3000 fps. Beware of factory loads though, I chrono'd some Federal ammunition loaded with 150g Partitions at 2650 fps.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
4350 is hard to beat with the 270 win.

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
use the magnum primers if thats what you have and these times are scarce for most components..

RL 22, 19, 15, 4350 and 4831 all work, but 58 grs of 4831 is the marriage made in heaven with the .270..that said RL-22 meters best, so I like that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
use the magnum primers if thats what you have and these times are scarce for most components..

RL 22, 19, 15, 4350 and 4831 all work, but 58 grs of 4831 is the marriage made in heaven with the .270. that said RL-22 meters best, so I like that.

Which 4831 and for which bullet weights?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
vines
posted 23 April 2022 01:58

4350 is hard to beat with the 270 win.

IMR4350 has been only so so for me. I don't use it.
But, H4831sc and RL17 are both outstanding with 130 gn bullets. Also have a load for Hornady ELD-X 145 gn with RL23 which is decent although not quite as good as the H4831sc and RL17 loads.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been using IMR-4831 with all three standard bullet weights: 58.0 with 130, 57.0 with 140, 56.0 with 150. I'm getting outstanding accuracy and velocity with all of them.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
With RL26 and 150 gr Nosler Partitions and Speer Grand Slams out of my 24" Model 70, they are going 3050 FPS + -. I haven't shot any of these loads out of my 26" Sendero yet, but that'll be soon.

In the Sendero my load is 58 Grains of IMR 4831 130 Nosler Ballistic tip, Winchester brass. Velocities are right at 3300fps, with one hole groups. Shot a hog in Texas at 600 yds with this load. Clicked up 41 clicks, held on, and put him in the pot.

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
With RL26 and 150 gr Nosler Partitions and Speer Grand Slams out of my 24" Model 70, they are going 3050 FPS + -. I haven't shot any of these loads out of my 26" Sendero yet, but that'll be soon.

In the Sendero my load is 58 Grains of IMR 4831 130 Nosler Ballistic tip, Winchester brass. Velocities are right at 3300fps, with one hole groups. Shot a hog in Texas at 600 yds with this load. Clicked up 41 clicks, held on, and put him in the pot.

Wow! That is one hot load. No pressure signs?

- Bertrand Russell

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot Edens load, and no pressure sighs..The 4831 Ive used for years is Jack OConnors load of 62 grs with a 130 and 58 with a 150 or 160, Less pressure and higher velocity than any of todays powders. Its old ww2 surplus stuff, hard to come by these days. I have 40 lbs or more left thats clean and been well stored..

I have used today H and IMR 4831 with less desirable balistics and at a small amout of higher pressure, and its still one of the best of todays options..its still low pressure powder and you would have to cram a case to get dangerous pressure, if you could at all..Ive tried with no results..

All that said the down side of any 4831 is you have to weigh loads or should anyway as it cuts grains bad therefore my favorite powder today is RL-22 and it meters beautifully and does not require weighing cases with my powder measure, that said I do eyeball cases and weigh about ever 10th case, based on years of testing..

Take into consideration that Ive been reloading since about 194?? I suggest if one had not reloaded for many years that they load by the book and ease into it slowly as you progress...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
That is one hot load. No pressure signs?[/QUOTE]
South Pender, That load I mentioned 58 grains of IMR 4831, is an old Dupont loading data pamphlet load, with a 130 grain bullet. As to pressure, in Winchester cases absolutely no pressure. On the other hand Remington cases and hot weather, I live in Arizona, pressure is evident. Like Atkinson, I used to load H4831, (mil surplus) but I got tired to trying to tamp/tap/drop tube it into my cases, so I went to IMR, I admit I'm an old geezer, (not as old as Atkinson though) so I still weigh each load, and still use mostly IMR powders. Really anxious to try RL26 with 150's in this rifle just for the heck of it. I will probably never shoot this rifle on game again unless from a stand or blind. It's just to heavy to lug around.

Jerry

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It seems barely warm to me. The reloading books back in the early 70s (which I still use) show loads in excess of 3000 fps with 150g Partitions. My load is Remington brass (fire formed, I neck size only), CCI magnum rifle primers, a lot of H4831 and a 150g Partition. I've used this load in both of our 270s. All get between 2980 and 3020 fps from 22" barrels. Great accuracy and hit like a 7mm Rem Mag with factory ammo. I get no marks on the case heads, easy extraction, 10 loads per case then I throw them out even though they look fine.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
quote:

It seems barely warm to me. The reloading books back in the early 70s (which I still use) show loads in excess of 3000 fps with 150g Partitions. My load is Remington brass (fire formed, I neck size only), CCI magnum rifle primers, a lot of H4831 and a 150g Partition. I've used this load in both of our 270s. All get between 2980 and 3020 fps from 22" barrels. Great accuracy and hit like a 7mm Rem Mag with factory ammo. I get no marks on the case heads, easy extraction, 10 loads per case then I throw them out even though they look fine.

There's a fair difference in the burn rates of IMR4831 and H4831 (IMR faster).

When I plugged both into QuickLoad, I got very different pressure readings. I used neck-only sized cases (to increase capacity - 69.5 gr. of water to the top of the case) and had the 130-gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet seated .030" off the lands.

For 58. gr. of IMR4831, the pressure indicated was 77,014 psi (way over max), whereas for 58-gr. of H4831, the pressure indicated was 62,774 (well within range for the .270 Win.). That's what prompted my question to Jerry Eden.

- Bertrand Russell

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks South Pender. Appreciate your research and of course you are right. The only two powders in my ancient reloading book that get a 150g Partition to near 3000 fps are Norma MRP and H4831 ...

Regards,

Chuck