Tools

Ar platform question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few good ar rifles

2 larue
Colt le6940

I have a bunch of sbr (Daniel ect) but this does not apply to them - i am stuck with them.

My ar rifles are very accurate.

But I dislike shooting them. They have retractable stocks.

When I shoot them I don’t like the buffer spring at all.

I want to switch these rifles to a traditional fixed stock.

Does anyone have recommendations for a fixed stock or a target stock.

Also is there a way to replace the buffer spring with heavier or target buffer spring.

Also I really don’t like the muzzle brake. I don’t want to shoot the guns suppressed. Is there a lower noise muzzle device.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried calling larue to get the questions answered. I was 24 in the wait line and decided to drop out.

I assume fixed stocks will be available in this crazy market.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Gee sounds like you want an Ares not an AR. I have a Rem 1100 buttstock on one.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Gee sounds like you want an Ares not an AR. I have a Rem 1100 buttstock on one.

I don’t want any more rifles.

I want to convert my rifles to something like this

https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/obr-7-62/

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you use it for, but if light weight is useful, why not look at the polymer lower receiver in development my KD Arms and Brownells for the InRangeTV WWSD2020 project?

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
Not sure what you use it for, but if light weight is useful, why not look at the polymer lower receiver in development my KD Arms and Brownells for the InRangeTV WWSD2020 project?

Basically target shooting 100-3Of meters. I want a heavier gun.

I really hate the buffer spring noise and irritating vibration that runs thru the stock.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:

Basically target shooting 100-300 meters. I want a heavier gun.

I really hate the buffer spring noise and irritating vibration that runs thru the stock.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one set up similar I would just search Ebay or run a add here may be Craig's list.

With the fix stock you still get buffer spring noise.

When I was running a lot of tactical rifle courses I used the noise or lack of as a indicator when to change mags.

Might want to try Midwest gun works or is it Midwest manufacturing

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't stand the collapsibles for other reasons, so my M-16 receivers wear the standard riflestock. Mine are the shorter A1, my buddy prefers the slightly longer A2. Same buffer and spring, BTW. I just did a search and found some, though not as many as before the "retro build" crowd gobbled the surplus up. The Diemaco C7 version is good.

There are also fixed stocks that work with the carbine buffer and spring (search "stubby fixed carbine stock")

The rifle buffer is longer than carbine versions, and it's heavier than almost all carbine buffers. Do not use a carbine buffer in a stock designed for the longer buffer - else you will trash your lower receiver. The opposite error will just make you feel foolish, cannot be assembled.

There's no reason you can't swap out your carbine buffer/spring/stock for the rifle version. Beware of loosing the little detent/spring that are held captive by the stock......guess how I know......

The riflestock/buffer/spring mitigates, but does not eliminate, that sound ("sproooiiiing"). You'll have to decide for yourself if the change mitigates that sound sufficiently. Do not lubricate the spring (makes the noise more objectionable, IME).

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get the sprooing noise in my full stock Stags nor my Armalite.
I was expecting to, after the years of use from the uncle sam versions I toted around all day every day.
but nope.

they must not be made out of cheap mattel brand toy grade injection molded plastic.

the other thing I like is the longer heavier barrels with no flash hiders.
they are quieter... a lot quieter.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
is it only JP or ?? that makes the encapsulated recoil spring system. It is quieter, no twang.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
There are other captured spring systems (armspec comes to mind) but from what I have heard JP has the best. I have one in my daughters AR and dont hear any wooshing sound. To be fair though, its the only AR that I have fired so I have nothing to compare it to. As far as fixed stocks, I like the double star. its made from aluminum and has a foam cheek piece, which really helps when it gets cold out.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/d...tock-black-a101.html

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magpul makes a nice modernized looking fixed buttstock with the rifle length buffer tube. Geislely makes a braided wire buffer spring that quiets the buffer action. The Magpul PRS style stocks are excellent, but a bit heavy.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes the correct answer as people have stated is: Get an A2 buttstock and get rid of the birdcage flash hider and screw on a thread protector or cut the threads off and crown it. I have several rifles set up that way.

Easy stuff.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
swap to an A2 style, and use a captured buffer spring

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

i also dislike the atomic cheese grater sound

if you want a "more rifle" like, you'll need to convert your platform to a piston upper .. or bolt action

this reduces shooter's perception of muzzle blast - by projecting it forward - i have them on all my 223 ARs... and my 22lr AR as well
https://vtsupply-com.3dcartsto...-15-Comp_p_1546.html

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys.

I will start working on converting the larue 5.56 and see how it turns out.

I a, glad I am not the only one with this issue.

Makes these rifles a lot less fun to target shoot with the twang.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to trade you a complete black matte A2 butt stock with buffer and spring for one of your adjustables complete with buffer and spring. I happen to have a spare.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I would be happy to trade you a complete black matte A2 butt stock with buffer and spring for one of your adjustables complete with buffer and spring. I happen to have a spare.

Do you want to sell it? I would like to hold on to all the matching large and colt parts in case I sell the rifle down the road.

Thanks

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The AR platform is utterly stupid for hunting, or shooting off the bench!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I find them too loud for hunting. Loading and unloading is load and I don’t like driving around with a loaded gun unless it a blaser with a cocking mechanism.

The ar platform is accurate and I like target shooting with a 5 round mag. Picking up brass sucks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to get rid of a lot of the noise, get a linear brake. The cheap Levang one Brownells sells is as good as any. All the holes face forward out the front, and the sound to the shooter from a 16" barrel is like a shooting a 22 - 24" barrelled rifle. Who cares if it's loud downrange, that's where the bullet is going. There is no concussion around the shooter like a cage brake.
We have them on three rifles, two of them bolt actions, because they are nicer to shoot than having a plain muzzle.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been shooting 2 or 3 deer a year with an AR for several years now and I rather enjoy it.
Granted it is a different animal than the wood stocked bolt rifles I've normally killed deer and Elk with but I find the whole thing rather fun.
At home I can assemble an AR in various configurations and cartridges without a trip to the "smith".
Rather enjoyable to shoot deer with a .223 one year, a 6x45 another year a 7.62x39 (AR) another then a 25x45.
I'll continue to play with this platform until I die, I find it enjoyable but it has it's shortfalls.
I'll never quit tweaking bolt rifles as well but once you "learn" an AR you do find some advantages.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well.....I'm not supprised that you don't like the AR15

After all.....it is an American rifle

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote