New
Find
Notify
Tools

All around 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had to sell my 700KS Mountain rifle earlier this year and now I’m starting to look for a rifle to replace it. I have a lot of brass and billets so I’m not interested in any other caliber.

I would like to find a used Sako Black Bear but I have found one yet. I’m looking for an all around rifle, new or used: light weight, 22” or shorter barrel, express sights would be nice, under $900. Suggestions?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I am really not sure of the price in the US, but if you want a light-weight and highly functional rifle, look at the Browning X-Bolt. (Second-hand?)
I have a 300 WSM in Stainless Stalker and it works very well.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger MKII stainless with syt stock.

Would be hard to find a more weather proof all around rifle then one of them.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Finding a good, reliable 30-06 should not be all that difficult

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Finding a good, reliable 30-06 should not be all that difficult

That’s really the problem: there are so many to chose from. It’s just a question of finding one that moves me. I really like the Sako Black Bear but I don’t think I have ever seen a used one for sale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick look on Gun Brokers shows page after page of 30-06 rifles but I only found 2 Sako Black Bears and the least expensive was $1459.00 NIB

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend a Ruger Hawkeye in SS/syn.

I have one with a 22" barrel that weighs 8#2oz. with rings and a Leu. 2.5-8 scope.

I also have a Ruger Hawkeye with a 20" barrel that weighs 6 1/2 lbs. bare. This one is very light, compact, easy to carry, and it too is SS/syn, so easier on maintenance.

I bought both rifles on CDNN brand new for $500 ea.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter; 30-06s are like hammers; they are just tools and are good for many tasks. There are no bad ones.
I have a new Rem 770 you can have for $250.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 100. Used to be $600 now $800.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you read the posts in “medium bores” discussing some issues with longer cased cartridges and Sako model 85 rifles.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Many new rifles don't have irons. A Rem 700 from the 70s thru mid 90s would be tough to beat.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one the new Winchester Model 70 Alaskan has useable iron sights on a 25 inch barreled 30/06.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
New Winchester model 70 featherweight. Light, accurate, reliable, but you will have to add whatever kind of open sights you desire.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Please keep them coming. Most of the suggestions are options that I am thinking about.

New Sako Black Bear: more than I have in the budget right now but I’m working on that.

Ruger: my first center fire was a M77 and very accurate. I really didn’t care for the squared off bottom of the stock so I traded it for a pre-64 M70. I would like to find a 30-06 RSM but they are few and far between.

M700: my go to deer rifle is a 700 mountain rifle in 7x57. Love it. light, handles well, a dream to hunt with. Have thought about looking for the same rifle in 06 but I don’t want to have so much overlap in configuration. Question: 700 new vs. “old.” Lots of 700’s on the market, which years models to avoid Abe how do I make sure I don’t have one of the problem trigger/safeties?

Browning: I have never really considered them an option. I do know of a nice Belgian Safari in 06, originally a salt wood gun with the metal refinished by Art and in a new composition stock. Price is not unreasonable.

New M70’s: really don’t know much about them but I tend to think of pretty much all
The new M70’s and 700’s of inferior quality.

Just too many choices so I guess another way to look at it is what rifles should I avoid?

Thanks,

JDG

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Avoid? No truly bad rifles can make the market; some just have features you might like better than others, like plastic stocks and detach plastic mags on some of the $300 ones; they work fine though and are quite accurate.
There are no bad 700s; there are bad and stupid owners. The new Model 70s and 700s are fine; I just barreled a Portuguese 70 in 400 Whelen.
Iron sights on a 30-06 are like tits on a boar hog. Useless; when is the last time you had a scope fail?. My customers only want iron sights for decoration.
Personally I would get a Model 70 of any vintage; they are all good. Or a Ruger 77.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I recommend and what I would do; get one of each make and handle them and test fire them all. Then you will know which one you like best, and you can keep the top 3 and use them for hunting. Sell the ones you don't like here on AR. That way, your decision is based on your personal tests; not on the opinions of others. Every hunter has his own fav; as I said, they all work. Hard to screw up a 30-06.
You need to lay out some parameters first in order to make an informed decision; do a decision matrix; put your variables on the X axis like price, wood or plastic, magazine, and whatever features you like, and the alternatives on the Y axis; each maker goes there. Then give each one a weight add them up, and there is your answer.
Or, come over and you can shoot all the Rems, Rugers, Winchesters, and custom Mausers and many cal 30 military rifles you want, except no Sakos. I have none.
Actually, personally, I would build a custom one with all the features you like on one platform. Then there are no surprises.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Ruger MKII stainless with syt stock.

Would be hard to find a more weather proof all around rifle then one of them.

it's hard to beat this combo - which is why I have the same - it's a tool and works well

Tom raises an interesting point about no truly bad rifles - some subjectively ugly ones -- heck, I love the ugly mossberg 810 .. a truley ugly rifle.

Today, an "el cheapo" mossberg patriot or savage/stevens <$300 (i haven't been gun shopping in awhile) will shoot round about MOA... and we complain if it's much bigger groups (btw, barrel nut rifles are SUPER easy to tune), say 2" ... which was considered a great rifle pre-64

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:

Ruger: my first center fire was a M77 and very accurate. I really didn’t care for the squared off bottom of the stock so I traded it for a pre-64 M70. I would like to find a 30-06 RSM but they are few and far between.

JDG

If your first Ruger was an M77 (that is a Mark I), it indeed had the clunky squared off stock bottom.

This changed with the Mark II. The stock was made slimmer and rounded. It got even better with the Hawkeye and a wonderful trigger (LC6), that neither the Mark I nor Mark II had. I had my gunsmith do trigger jobs on all of my Mark IIs ( and that was a lot of 'em), and have not had one trigger job performed on any of my Hawkeyes (again, a lot) as it's just not necessary. Wonderful trigger!

The Mark I is clunky compared to a new Hawkeye, had a terrible trigger, and a lot had outsourced (and bad) barrels. I understand some barrels were good, and a lot were not.

Again, I would repeat: Try a Ruger Hawkeye 30-06.

If weight and carry ability is paramount, get the 20" barrel model. Otherwise, you can get your 22" barrel as well in the 'standard' Hawkeye.

Good luck on your search!

p.s. The 30-06 'RSM' is actually called the 'Express'. The RSM was built on the Ruger Magnum action (no longer made), with calibers 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott. The Express was made on the standard action, with calibers 25-06, 270 Win., 7mmRM, 30-06, 300WM, and 338WM.

I own all of the RSMs, and all of the Express'. They are wonderful! I have used them in NA and Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger did a special run of African Hawkeye in 30/06. Cabela’s sold them.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tikka is hard to beat. Well priced and super accurate

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found my perfect all around .30-06 in a used Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional. They are around for about $1000 give or take. Excellent handling gun that all shoot exceptionally well

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're looking for something different.
How about a Husqvarna 1640? They're slick looking, well-made, with a super strong action. They're light weight and accurate. A little different, so it might make you excited to own it. I love the schnabel forend. Not expensive, either. Simpson's often has some for sale.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I would get a Model 70 of any vintage; they are all good.

Yep tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you like the old 700 look at the new Bergara's.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
How about a Husqvarna 1640? They're slick looking, well-made, with a super strong action. They're light weight and accurate. A little different, so it might make you excited to own it. I love the schnabel forend. Not expensive, either. Simpson's often has some for sale.

This is a brilliant suggestion

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True about the Husky; these are built on FN 98 actions, and are excellent rifles; I have a few of them; mostly to bust down for the actions.
As for the Ruger 77; there was no MK 1 model.
Just the 77, and the MKII. I remember well when it came out.
Personally I like the boat paddle stocked ones, and I have two tang safety 77s in them. I made them fit.
However, there is a big difference between the term "quality" and the various aesthetic features one might want. As Jeff said, the ugly Mossberg is made to perform to a very good performance standard, although it looks like..., well you know.
The cheapest ones out there will shoot as well as any hunting rifle made; then it becomes the desired things that some guys like and some don't need.
So, it looks like the OP has to decide what he wants it to LOOK like because they all do the same job.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Personally I would get a Model 70 of any vintage; they are all good.

Yep tu2

My thought's exactly,,it would be hard to pass up a pre-64 fwt,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price also seems to be part of the OP's concern.

Two days ago, I bought another Ruger Hawkeye blue/wood 30-06 at my LGS, used, for $450.

Mounted a Leu. VX3i 2.5-8.

Shot it yesterday with Federal 180 gr. TBBs, and got 1" groups at 100m.

I'll be anxious to try many more loads to see what she can ultimately produce.

For the money, I love these Ruger Hawkeyes.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggest you read the posts in “medium bores” discussing some issues with longer cased cartridges and Sako model 85 rifles.

I'm not familiar with the Black Bear action but if it's built on the Sako 85 action look elsewhere. Lots of ejection problems with that action. Problems are worse with the long (30/06) length actions. The problem is the ejector is located in the 6 o'clock position and ejected cases tend to hit your scope and fall back into the action jamming this up rea good. Do a google search on "sako ejection problems" and you will find plenty of information.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I am really not sure of the price in the US, but if you want a light-weight and highly functional rifle, look at the Browning X-Bolt. (Second-hand?)
I have a 300 WSM in Stainless Stalker and it works very well.

Great recommendation Karoo. I really like mine.

Side story, I was at our local sporting goods store and they had 3 X-Bolts (maybe A-Bolts) for $275! (Blued) Why I did not buy all of them, I have no idea- probably a case of stupidity!

I asked them why they were on clearance. They said they could not sell them and that everyone wanted the 6.5 Creedmore Roll Eyes

Hard to beat a 30-06

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
New Winchester model 70 featherweight. Light, accurate, reliable, but you will have to add whatever kind of open sights you desire.

I bought one of these used but like new here on AR. Great rifle.

On the Sako 85, definitely familiarize yourself about ejection issues.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would steer you to a 1970's Rem M700 with the Walker trigger. It has grooves in the finger bow. Since Rem has gone tits up there is no longer any warranty replacement. You might find an unknowledgeable seller wanting to unload theirs. Have the trigger removed and cleaned. One of the best production triggers made. The new X-pro triggers not so good.

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a pre 64 fwt. in 30-06 for the last many years, and its still my favorite rifle, you can find them for $800 to $900 in very good condition..I wouldn't sell mine however..

I also have a nice Win. mod 54/70 factory conversion, schnable forend, old Lyman receiver sight, shoots an inch at 100 most of the time. It has a mod. 54 creepy trigger, but its a collector of sorts in that it was returned to win during a period with the mod. 70 came out and Win. added a new barrel, mod. 70 safety, and bolt etc. Win over stamped a new mod. 70 barrel with a 54 stamp for those who had 54s at the time.....neat gun...I might sell it as Ive been cutting back on my guns..I think it should be worth at least $1100..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=2&GunID=3518

Instant heirloom. It would be hard for me to buy anything modern.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The problem with all these high dollar collectable rifles being recommended is that (perhaps, I assume) the OP won't want to take them into the field because each scratch and dent reduces the value. I say that because that is the way I am.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 featherweight that I would sell. It would come in a McMillan stock with a Timney Trigger and Leupold double dovetail mounts. It is in excellent condition.

PM me if you are interested.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt my guns. Now, I’m not going to take a minty pre-64 M70 into the woods (in fact I wouldn’t ever buy one) but I have no problem putting a pre-64 or any other “shooter” grade rifle to work. Thinning blue and a few dings and scratched is part of what makes old guns interesting to me.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

I know we are handing out opinions like which is better; a Ford or a Chevy but this is an excellent choice. It was my first .30-06 many years ago and one I would dearly like to own again!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the 30/06 (and also the 270 and 375) just goes hand in hand with a Model 70. Pre 64, Post 63, either way.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote