New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WSM Loading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester Featherweight 300WSM on the way. It has become clear due to the die selection for reloading this cartridge that perhaps just a 2 die set might not be the way to go.. Since I'm new to this cartridge but not reloading, I'm looking to the more experianced hands here who have delt with the 300WSM on which way to go and why...

Thanks Guy's

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 2 die set for years with mine. No problems at all.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have 3 300 WSM's and use a seperate standard sizing die for each, one RCBS, 2 Forsters, and use a Redding micrometer seating die for all 3.

No issues at all.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded for two different 300 wsm's w/ a two die set of RCBS 300 wsm dies. The only problem I've had is with making sure my f/l resizing die was screwed down tight enough that the bolt would close on a resized and reloaded round.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I use the Redding Competition die set with the bushing neck die and competition seater. I only full-length size after several firings.

We Band of 45-70er's

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Redding two die set.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for the 300WSM and just use a standard 2 die set from RCBS. I load for two 300 WSM rifles and have had no issues what so ever.

I also load for a 270 WSM and just use a two die set from RCBS. I See no reason for anything else.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Guy's... I followed your lead... Ordered Redding 2-die set.. Now just waiting on the rifle...

Thanks All...

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXRam:
I'm probably in the minority, but I use the Redding Competition die set with the bushing neck die and competition seater. I only full-length size after several firings.

I too do as TXRam does, i only full length size after several reloads. I believe neck sizing gives that added advantage that we are able to take advantage of as handloaders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
The only problem I've had is with making sure my f/l resizing die was screwed down tight enough that the bolt would close on a resized and reloaded round.
GWB

Which means that you're likely running pressures that are significantly above accepted standards.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily, Stonecreek; I have a 270 WSM Tikka and I had the same problem. I even had to grind 0.1 mm from the bottom of resizing die (Lee) to push the shoulder back and my reloads are certainly on the safe side; now, a smartie could say that it's better to grind the shell holder than the die, but I have only 1 270 WSM rifle and I don't plan to buy another.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
Ok Guy's... I followed your lead... Ordered Redding 2-die set.. Now just waiting on the rifle...

Thanks All...

Good job! Thats what ive got for the countless 300WSMs I reload for, works very well. BTW, get the carbide expander kit for around 15 bucks from Redding, makes for easier resizing, and you can always use it for other 30cal dies if they're redding brand, that is. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding two die set for my 300WSM. I had to grind a little off the bottom of the sizer die to set the shoulder back enough to chamber a reloaded round. Works great, except for the fact that my youngest Son has it now.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote