Find
Notify
Tools

I did a test on felt recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Recoil affects everyone, I had a friend from Central who I knew was tough but also abit macho. He wanted to shoot my 9 1/2 pound 505 Gibbs so I gave him one of my 680 gr hard cast Bullets loaded to 2350 fps! He put it on the bench, snuggled in tight behind it and fired, he had tears in his eyes when he got up and handed the rifle back to me and said he didn't want to shoot it any more.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
You made a grown man cry. I'm still laughing as I write this.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a person who has a 577TRex.

He is always trying to get me to shoot it.

I told him no only if I get to reload the rounds.

Because he is the kind of guy who would load a full power round.

Then laugh about the damage it had done to your shoulder.

I seen him pull that crap with other unsuspecting shooters.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I found that stock design has a lot to do with felt recoil. Any model of the Brit SMLE hurts me. My first shot gun was a 16 gauge bolt action and it hurt. My friends 454 Casull, Brazilian double action revolver, five shots was enough. Another friends single shot 357 max, one shot was enough.
A 375 H&H was tolerable, 458 Win was a push. My three most favorite calibers are 45-70 loaded with case full of IMR 4064 with a 445 gr cast bullet out a a Siamese Mauser and a Winchester 1886. 405 Win out of a Winchester 1895, and a 375 Whelen out of a Mauser 98 and a Wincher 1895. Lots of fellas take a look at the cartridge and back off.
MY eye doctor gave himself a hunting safari after retiring from the Army. He started practicing with his 375 H&H a year out. 20 rounds per month off hand for a several months then twice a month. I encouraged him to shoot more for purely altruistic reasons, the once fired brass had nothing to do with it. Now I have the brass several bullet molds for 375, all I need is the rifle and the dies.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock design? poof, sgt York told me keep shoot'en that springfield son you'll get used to it!!! trigger pull?, keep shoot'en son, you,ll get used to that also. jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote