Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try the Howell carts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seem to be winners.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the 35 and 375 versions cuzz you can get shorter tip to canalure bullets in these cals and work well in a std action.

Pushing a 300 grain 375 bullet @ 2500 fps with so little powder is cool imho.

That is an uber efficient cart!

But the 375 ruger has taken away a lot of the niche.

The 358 version would be the most bang for the buck if you already had a whelen.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was doing some of my wildcatting I talked to Ed about his brass. I had always thought it made better sense than the Hawk case. Ken Howell did a great job with the design.

The Howell case is 2.6" long. I tried some in one of my 340PDKs. My case is a blown out shoulder forward 280 case with 40 deg shoulder. What I found was that my case using Norma brass had the same gross capacity as his. However in an 06 length magazine I ended up with a higher net capacity because of the bullet just filling that longer neck.

His case really pushes the limit on the 06. You do gain over the normal factory version. The 375 does look great but as Boom Stick said the big pull to shoot a 375 rd from a 06 length magazine will probably be handled by the 375 Ruger.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote