Find
Notify
Tools

Vais Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I came across this website and wondered ifanybody had any information on this deal? The Vais brake seems to have a good reputation for a minimum of noise increase in a muzzle brake.

vaismuzzlebrakes.com

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
They are all loud. Its like being "sort of" preganat.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Brakes don't actually make rifles louder.. Some redirect enough gas towards the rear that the sound is being sent towards the shooter and bystanders... A well designed brake sends the gasses slightly forward and out to the sides.. By doing this the sound goes with it... At the same time you still don't want to be standing next to the muzzle without ear protection... Good ear protection is a must when at the range whether your rifle is braked or not... When you have a brake you should CERTAINLY be wearing them.... When in the field I would still suggest a good set of electronic muffs or other such protection... They will allow you to hear what you need to hear but not the report of the rifle...

I've heard good things about the Vais brake in both recoil reduction and keeping the sound away from the shooter...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't give objective or quantitative data concerning "Vais" brakes, only subjective observations. Having said that here is my story. I had Hill Country Rifles accurize and install a Vais brake on my rem. sendero in 338 ultra mag. Two years ago I shot a deer at 590 yds. with this rig. I screwed the magnificaton of the scope I was using at the time way up. Consequently I got a hell of a case of scope eye. Only time I've ever done this. Also, load testing at the bench was no fun. I'd put a roll of toilet paper between the rest and my shoulder just to keep from injuring my self. Yesterday I was load testing for the first time after getting the accurized and braked rifle back. The recoil after braking is along the lines of a 270 rem. The range where I shoot has a metal cover to shield one from the elements. Consequently there is considerable reverberation when shots are fired. I was already set up when three guys came out to zero their rifles. After they had finished, the leader of the group who was obviously a rifle looney like myself came over and asked what kind of cannon I was shooting, which of course led off into discussions on various topics. His comment was that he hated being next to a braked rifle when he was shooting at the range, but he was plesantly suprised at how mild the report and concussion was from this rifle. I let his two cronies touch off a couple of round each. One was shooting a winchester featherweight in 300 wsm, the other a light weight ruger in 270 wsm. Both said that the recoil from the braked 338 ultra mag was less than that of their rifles, and were duly impressed. The particular load that I was testing was 100 grains of retumbo and 225 grain partitions.
I only have a four braked rifles out of the 50 or so that I own. However, I am more that satisfied with the Vais brake on this rifle.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have one on a CZ 416 Rigby. People on the next spot to mine on the firing line (covered firing line) told me that it did not sound any louder to them than a regular .30/'06 w/o brake. Since I was wearing ear protection, I cannot say, but it didn't impress me as being any louder than an unbraked rifle. Recoil reduction is quite good.

I think to really know for sure how well it works as far as sound is concerned, you'd have to measure decibel levels at different points around the same gun while shooting, both with the brake and without it. A perfect caliber for such a test would be the .264 Win. Mag. It has a horrendous,loud muzzle blast but is not unpleasant to shoot w/o a brake. I would not try this with the .416"

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I came across this website and wondered ifanybody had any information on this deal? The Vais brake seems to have a good reputation for a minimum of noise increase in a muzzle brake.

vaismuzzlebrakes.com

I was referring to some rumors about some of the problems between the owners of the Vais muzzlebrakes (Bartlett) and the originator and developer of the Vias brake, George Vais.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Vais brakesans recommend them highly. Good people with a good product.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I know many people who have worked with George and the impression I get is that George has been done a terrible wrong. He is a guy who is a master at what he does and is really a very simple man, he is not pretentious or arrogant although he has definite opinions. I have met him a few times and can only say that if I were on a jury, He'd be able to do as he pleased.

_BAxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read it all but hate to see such a dispute.

My Vais brake really tamed my .416 Rigby. Contrary to predictions, I have received no a-whippings from the PHs or people at the range.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known George more than ten years, and he is an admirable man. He had some serious allergies, and sold the business thinking they were so bad he needed to return to Greece. He did, but found that they were as bad there, and he missed us and the USofA. He returned and has had some problems with some possibly "altered" paperwork in his sale. It allegedly keeps him from building any brake designs for a certain period of time. Some sort of non-competitive clause. In the interim he CAN design and patent brakes, which he has done. He claims his new one is better, and the one I have does seem to cut recoil even more, which is nice. A company near Boise is making them.

George himself still operates a gunsmithing business in Boise, and is doing rather well these days.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IS,

Can you give us more info about the latest brake George has designed? Name & Contact info?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got three; 338 win mag, 300 weatherby, and on my 416 remy. Don't know why I put one on the 416, but once I did, I left it on. As much as I'm reticent about advocating any muzzle break on any shooting forum, I must mention that these things are miles above and beyond any other break I've heard or shot. Specifically, the muzzle blast is muffled enough that blind folded fellas standing behind a shooter probably couldn't really tell a difference (this is no hyperbole here either, as I hate that as much as the next guy). I can't when I shoot them. It mght be different for the guy next to me, but I've had guys at ranges approach, question and compliment whilst using them.

The recoil reduction is also good, but not really much better than the next break. It's the lack of increased muzzle blast that makes these suckers worth the expense, and of course, they are easily removed before hunting. Although, I don't know that a guide or a girlfriend would really care if you used it on the hunt b/c they're so quiet. I imagine ego would be more of a genuine incentive for removing the vais than concern for your pardners' ears.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thing. I asked my smith about the mechanics behind the efficacy of the break and its ability to work well without burning out ear drums. He pointed me towards the holes on the front end of the break suggesting that it expells the gas out forwards and at an angle instead of directly sideways like other breaks. Seems to me this would cut back on its recoil reducing capacity, but what do I know? In any case, if all you are worried about in terms of noise is that which is in front of the business end of the rifle, I don't think using it in the field would be a real issue, unless you're in the practice of frequently shooting while your compadres are in front of your gun. Just what I was told; I'm no physics major.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
IS,

Can you give us more info about the latest brake George has designed? Name & Contact info?

Thanks,
Dave

The latest muzzle brakes George designed and patented are two brakes; the magnum and the hunter. The magnum is reducing recoil more than the previous designed brake and is slightly quieter. The hunter is similiar to the magnum in recoil reduction but the sound increase is not dtermineable by others standing by either with the muzzle brake installed or not installed. A Mini-mangum is also available and is a little quieter than the magnum and can become flush with the barrel. Contact George Vais at 208-323-7674 for more information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM,

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote