Find
Notify
Tools

270Wby/150gn TSX Combo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted
I'm thinking about loading up this combo in my R93. As I need a load that can perform Texas-heart-shots out to 200 on big deer when needed.
I encounter this sort of shot time & time again, but until now have not thought about taking such a shot.
The cal(308Win)I have ATM is not up to such a taste IMO. Perfect standing broadside shots yes, & when the situation is near perfect no sweat.

Is this 270Wby/150gn TSX combo(25.5†barrel) worthy of such a task? And would you recommend this combo for a Texas-heart-shot on large bodied deer like Elk, Moose etc?

Or should I just get myself a 9.3x62/250gn TSX's & never look back?

My shots are mainly between 50-200 yards. In mostly forest areas with the occasional 300 yard across gully shots needed.

340 Roll Eyes

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're constantly presented with going away shots you may want to address your hunting style. Will that combo work on Deer? You bet, for Moose and Elk I'd say go with your 340. Contrary to what most on here think I use big guns on big animals. To hunt Moose and Elk I have to travel quite a bit. If I'm presented with a less than perfect shot I want to be able to drive a bullet whichever way I need to. I'd go .338 and up, way up.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a good bullet and your .308 will do just fine. I,d go with a 168 grain tsx.
Inside 200 yards I bet it would go clear through a big buck end to end.
So would a 270 win, with a 130 grain tsx or a partition.
I am Elk hunting later this weel with a 160 grain tsx from a 7mmSTW, and while I don't plan a back door entrance, I bet it would do just fine on a 600 LB elk.
Deer are not that hard to kill, and a .308 is plenty of cartridge for any reasnable shot.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a good bullet and your .308 will do just fine. I,d go with a 168 grain tsx.
Inside 200 yards I bet it would go clear through a big buck end to end.

I can vouch for that. I have put a 168 TSX out of a .30-06 from just about stem to stern on a moderate size buck. I eyeballed the penetration at about 34". The TSXs only open to about double diameter so they penetrate quite well in addition to the damages the rotating petals do.

On the other hand, I'd never say don't get or use the 9.3x62. I used my .375H&H with an original X bullet on a whitetail a couple of years ago with predictably good results, so I'd expect the 9.3x62 to do nicely as well on the deer and larger.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 wby is a great long range round, made for shooting game at long ranges, not necessarily up the wazoo

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote