The Accurate Reloading Forums
Sako actions

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/779104547

12 October 2007, 21:51
Bobby B.
Sako actions
Anyone know where an older Sako action can be obtained? I want to build a 7RM with a Sako action, a Harry Lawson Thumbhole and a Ron Smith Gaintwist barrel.

Bobby B.
13 October 2007, 22:41
Fish30114
Raw actions are hard to find. I would probably poke around on GA or such and find a rifle that would make a donor for your project. JB at accuflite sells some actions ocassionally, but they aren't much (if any) cheaper than a rifle.

Good Luck
14 October 2007, 03:41
Bobby B.
Fish,

What's GA?

Bobby B.
14 October 2007, 04:22
sbsmith
GunsAmerica
14 October 2007, 18:30
Fish30114
quote:
Originally posted by sbsmith:
GunsAmerica
thumb
14 October 2007, 19:54
Jim Kobe
I have a NEW L691 for sale but it is left hand.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

14 October 2007, 21:12
Bobby B.
The action I'm interested in obtaining is the Sako Finnbear. I don't know what other name(s) are used to define this action. Mine was purchased as a complete, new rifle in March 87.

If someone is interested in selling theirs to me, I'm willing to pay accordingly. I'm not looking for a 'deal'.

Bobby B.
14 October 2007, 21:12
Bobby B.
It must be right hand.

Bobby B.
15 October 2007, 00:54
AllenBosely
Are the older style Sako's true Mauser type actions?

The older controlled round models that is.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.
15 October 2007, 02:25
jpb
AllenB:

The really, really old Sako actions were indeed controlled round feeding and where based on Mauser 98 actions. There are sometimes seen here in Sweden, but I don't think they were exported to the US in any numbers (if at all).

When somebody says "old model Sako actions" they normally mean the 2 lug, non-controlled round feeding actions. I have 3 and there are very nice.

John
15 October 2007, 10:26
AllenBosely
Thanks jpb, I was just wondering. Adding a bit more to my gun education.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.
16 October 2007, 03:09
Wizard78
Interested in a whole rifle? Do a little at a time while enjoying the work, rather than having to wait for the whole thing to be done to shoot. I didn't post on our BST but here's a link.

http://www.homeattherange.com/viewtopic.php?t=4119
16 October 2007, 04:46
woods
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82747330

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82943233

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82370986

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82900534

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

24 October 2007, 09:18
Indlovu
I have a sako finnbear in 30-06, that i dont use; interested? PM me
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
Anyone know where an older Sako action can be obtained? I want to build a 7RM with a Sako action, a Harry Lawson Thumbhole and a Ron Smith Gaintwist barrel.

Bobby B.

25 October 2007, 21:53
Stonecreek
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
Are the older style Sako's true Mauser type actions?

The older controlled round models that is.

Allen

The pre-1960's (pre L61R) Sako rifles for full length cartridges were built on FN Mauser actions. The actions were not made by Sako and are not "Sako" actions, only the barrels and stocks attached to them are Sako.
25 October 2007, 22:22
Dr. Lou
Ditto Stonecreek's answer. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member
25 October 2007, 22:33
458Win
I have an L61 Sako rifle in 338 I'm planning on selling. It's been a camp loaner for the past fifteen years in a plastic stock so the original wooden stock is still excellent. Blueing is still good as it's had my rustoleum finish - which is easy to remove.
Anyone got an idea on price range ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
26 October 2007, 21:23
Stonecreek
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have an L61 Sako rifle in 338 I'm planning on selling. It's been a camp loaner for the past fifteen years in a plastic stock so the original wooden stock is still excellent. Blueing is still good as it's had my rustoleum finish - which is easy to remove.
Anyone got an idea on price range ?

.338 usually brings a bit of a premium in a Sako. You can see all sorts of asking prices on Gunbroker or Auction Arms, but when a standard Sako actually sells, it is usually around the $750 range that is listed in most of the current pricing guides. Of course, Phil Shoemaker's Sako would be a little bit like Teddy Roosevelt's Winchester and would be expected to bring a nice premium Wink!
26 October 2007, 23:42
458Win
I was guessing around $800 so am not far off. Will be picking it up this week when I fly back to camp to get the Supercub. Guess I'll post it here when I get back.
Thanks

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
27 October 2007, 01:51
Bobby B.
Thanks for all the info and offers to sell. Purchased a L61R on this side of the 49th. Will be sending the action off to Hart Barrels next week for a 7 RM. They'll send the rebarrelled action off to Harry Lawson for a 5F French Walnut in the Cochise stock. This is my choice for my first Namibian hunt for 2009. And. Im pretty pumped.

Bobby B.