THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A new tube for my first project...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new tube for my first project...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I'm finally taking the first step towards overhauling a few rifles of mine. But I've hit a wall. I'm betting that a good number of you have been through this and I thought I would put this poll/question out there.

From day one I've wanted a 3-Groove 1-11 twist 26" Lilja barrel for my 300 win mag and even though it's still at the top of my list a few others have gotten my attention.

I'm basically picking from Lilja, Rock, Bartline and Broughton. The last three got added to the list after seeing a "5R" rifleling patterned Rock barrel basically shoot everything that went down the tube into a ragged hole.

The "5R" and the "5C" from broughton have really pulled me away from standerd rifling after hearing reports on them.

Any experience would help. Thanks.

Question:
Which one?

Choices:
Lilja 3 Groove
Broughton 5C
Bartline 5R
Rock 5R

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Come on Guys. Surely someones got an opinion out there...

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieger barrels is the hot ticket.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply 30378. I've heard that a lot too. Maybe I should start looking at the Kriegers.

One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I have a 24" Lilja heavy stainless in .338. No complaints. My rifle does not like the 200's but the 185 TSX's are almost a 1 hole group.

I think all your choices are fine, I believe the end result is who puts it all together.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m61,
rock-5r
bartline
krieger
are all cut-rifled you can''t go wrong
regards Wink

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Lilja 3 groove 1/11 twist on a 300Wby,Broughton 5C on a 300WSM, Kreiger on a 280AI,Hart on a 243AI, Chanlynn on a 7x57. As soon as the barrel gets here I'm doing a 270WSM on a Lawton cut rifle barrel.

I pulled up the Bartlein site this week and see they added 5R to some of their offering so they must have a licensed agreement with Obermeyer to use the name 5R. The guys at Bartlein learned from working at Kreiger. Chanlynn,Kreiger,Rock all started at Obermeyer I think.

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/custombarrels.htm?79,14

http://www.obermeyerbarrels.com/

http://www.lawtonriflebarrels.com/

Mark Chanlynn (303) 823-6270

If you can get one might want to try Obermeyer other wise Broughton or Rock. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote