The Accurate Reloading Forums
pre 72 Sako

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/770106747

17 October 2007, 19:43
Bobby B.
pre 72 Sako
Is the pre-72 Sako controlled feed and does it have an adjustable trigger?

Bobby B.
19 October 2007, 19:27
Dr. Lou
Is the pre-72 Sako controlled feed? No
Does it have an adjustable trigger? Yes


****************
NRA Life Benefactor Member
20 October 2007, 03:46
Wizard78
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Is the pre-72 Sako controlled feed? No
Does it have an adjustable trigger? Yes


You're half right. The pre 72's are controlled round push feed. (like many newer Winnies) Controlled feed pertains to the ejection part of the eject/feed cycle, as I understand it. If the bolt has to be pulled completely back to eject using an ejector that protrudes through the bolt, when it is at the extreme rear of the bolt cycle, then it is termed controlled round feed. The non controlled feed rifles use an ejector button (in the bolt face) that flips the spent case as soon as it clears the ejection port. This can lead to short cycling the bolt and trying to feed a round before the bolt face is at the rear of the case. The push part of the feed pertains to the spring loaded extractor claw on the bolt. The original controlled round feed on the mauser style actions had a claw extractor and you were forced to load the ammo in the magazine to cycle. In the new style, the round can be pushed right into the breach and the spring loaded extractor will flip over them to load single rounds. The controlled part was referring to the ability of not being able to short cycle the bolt when ejecting and feeding so that you were guaranteed a feed when the case was ejected. The post 72 Sako's are also controlled round push feed but I'm not sure of the model 75's as I've never owned one.
21 October 2007, 18:26
Stonecreek
Wizard78:

I'm afraid that you misunderstand the term "controlled feed" as it relates to a bolt action rifle. With a CF rifle, the cartridge from the magazine feeds up into the extractor in such manner that it is grasped by the extractor before being fully chambered (thus allowing a cartridge that has not been fully chambered to be withdrawn simply by pulling back the bolt). All pre-72 Sakos (as well as subsequent Sakos up through the L-, A-, and S- series actions) are "push feed", meaning that the cartridge fed from the magazine is not engaged by the extractor until it is fully chambered.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I am more comfortable with the push feed for a number of reasons, but many shooters take the opposite view (usually for reasons they don't understand). However, I would be unconcerned about using either system for game hunting of any type (although target and varmint shooting is much better done with a push feed).
23 October 2007, 00:58
Wizard78
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Wizard78:

I'm afraid that you misunderstand the term "controlled feed" as it relates to a bolt action rifle. With a CF rifle, the cartridge from the magazine feeds up into the extractor in such manner that it is grasped by the extractor before being fully chambered (thus allowing a cartridge that has not been fully chambered to be withdrawn simply by pulling back the bolt). All pre-72 Sakos (as well as subsequent Sakos up through the L-, A-, and S- series actions) are "push feed", meaning that the cartridge fed from the magazine is not engaged by the extractor until it is fully chambered.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I am more comfortable with the push feed for a number of reasons, but many shooters take the opposite view (usually for reasons they don't understand). However, I would be unconcerned about using either system for game hunting of any type (although target and varmint shooting is much better done with a push feed).


Thanks. I'll get it straight one of these days.
23 October 2007, 23:09
Buliwyf
I have seen older factory Sako rifles with a true claw CRF action which I thought was a FN action.
24 October 2007, 02:47
Stonecreek
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
I have seen older factory Sako rifles with a true claw CRF action which I thought was a FN action.


Correct. Prior to the development of the L61R full length action in the early 1960's, Sako used FN Mauser actions for the "long" cartridges it chambered. The FN Mauser is, of course, a CF action, but the actual Sako actions were push feed.