New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen and 400-350 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to complement my rifle battery with single shot (I love them) so break-open system or falling block would be desirable. The caliber should be 400-350 NE. Sure, there are better calibers available for the medium-sized game, such as 7x65R (see, for single shot I want a rimmend cartridge only) or 9,3x74R. But the 400-350 has an appeal for me and it shares the same bullet diameter as the 35 Whelen, so I could use the same bullets when handloading. My question is, if I am able to get with this old British rimmed cartridge same velocities as with the Whelen. I would like to use mainly 225 and 250 grain bullets because nothing bigger than boars or red deer are present in our area.
Any 400-350 NE users?

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 No2, I think, was a rimmed cartridge. It used 225 grain bullets traditionally, but would sing with 225 and 250 grain bullets. It was a Rigby round. The No2 was the rimmed sister to the 35 Rigby Rimless also known as 350 magnum.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com...-and-the-350-magnum/

Posts: 10800 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky enough to have two original Magnum Mauser rifles in .400/350 in the shop for servicing & load development. The .400/350 case has greater capacity than the .35 Whelen but operates at a lower pressure. So, the Whelen is capable of higher velocities. However, the .400/350 with a 225-grain bullet at 2500-2600 fps should be more than a match for any stag or boar.

Ballistics aside, the .400/350 is as obsolete as they get, & would be strictly a hand loading proposition. Even then, cartridge cases and dies will be expensive and hard to get. And, finding a gunsmith with a reamer might be tricky, too. The 9.3x74R, as you know, is popular and more practical.

Good luck!

Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superior list 350 No2 brass in the cartridge list they send when you buy from them.

Posts: 10800 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Superior list 350 No2 brass in the cartridge list they send when you buy from them.

I do have a cc supplier here (or better nearby - in Germany). DHM
They will prepare for you, whatever you want...

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
depends, our elk in the USA tend to be shot at long range these days in most areas so Id lean towads a flatter shooting caliber, depending on the action. My elk rifle these days is a Ruger No.1 in .338 Win and it performs at both short and long range..In a bolt gun I like a .375 Win. but have shot more elk with a 30-06 and 7x57 than anything else. I am assuming in the republic your shots are in dark timber thus close range with a 225 bullet at 2150??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
depends, our elk in the USA tend to be shot at long range these days in most areas so Id lean towads a flatter shooting caliber, depending on the action. My elk rifle these days is a Ruger No.1 in .338 Win and it performs at both short and long range..In a bolt gun I like a .375 Win. but have shot more elk with a 30-06 and 7x57 than anything else. I am assuming in the republic your shots are in dark timber thus close range with a 225 bullet at 2150??

Ray, here in CZ and the surrounding countries we hunt mainly in woods or fields, but these cannot be compared with your plains, like you have in US. Thus, I rarely shoot beyond 150 yards. By the way I started my hunting career with grandfather’s O/U ZH Brno 12gauge/7x57R. The combination guns are still quite popular here, although the feathered game population is declining. I myself have strong affinity for the British calibers and the proposed one seem to be suitable for my purposes.
Based on the old sources I went through, I should be able to get 2400 FPS with 225 grain bullets, probably even better with today’s modern propellants. And my barrels are always long… Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 225 gr. bullet at 2400 fps is a deadly load at up to 300 yards as a matter of fact..Looks like you have a winner in that cool gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote