THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Putting a boss system on a benelli r1 338 win mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting a boss system on a benelli r1 338 win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of putting a boss system on my benelli r1 338 win mag .I have a stainless 338 boss system with the muzzke brake and the other one without the holes .I am getting older and want to still shoot 338 win mag but don't like the recoil any more .I had a model 70 338 win mag with a boss system on it and it kicked like a 270 .The gas operated 338 win mag should kick even less with a boss system plus be way more accurate .I have not fooled with this rifle much but I think it would be a smooth shooter with the boss system .I got 1 inch groups at 200 yards with my old model 70 stainless 338 win mag at 200 yards which is pretty good .I think it would keep me shooting the 338 a while longer .I will have to use ear plugs hunting if I use the ported boss system .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
With muzzle brake should be comparable to 308 recoil. Sure like my 338 WM R1. Very good fit and finish. Sighted in with Buffalo Barnes 250gr TSX ammo.

Also have 338 WM Ruger Hawkeye with detachable brake. Huge muzzle blast. Brake not used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like that benelli r1 338 win mag also .Its
Very light to be a semiautomatic 338 win mag .I think the boss system would make it super accurate .I have hardly shot mine . It didn't like 225 grain nosler Accubonds for sure .I was hoping they would work out for a long range load .They are well made rifles .I wish I had a 260 barrel and bolt that would be lots of fun to shoot !

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Only factory loads so far in mine. 225gr TTSX Barnes Vor-tx ammo shoots to nearly same 100 yd POI as 250gr TSX Buffalo Barnes ammo. Accuracy not bad with either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As opposed to a boss system, Id go with a KDF type system that's detachable with a thread protector, for one thing it allows a shorter barrel, works better than the boss system which was a rather failed system for Winchester, but to each his own...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That boss system really worked it was just ugly .I had one in 338 win mag it kicked like a 243 . It shot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with factory ammo .I like my ruger 77 338 win mag but it's kick has gotten too much to me for fun any more .I used a 338 for 35 years but now it's kick is not fun on my torn rotator cuff .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the detachable brake on the Ruger African, Ive used it on the .338, 375 with a KDF,
9.3x62..I take it off to hunt with, but its nice at the range in Idaho..or at my house..My main gripe about the boss system that twist open and shut is you alway have a 2" or so longer barrel..just me perhaps! tu2

LIke you as I age, I am more and more appreciative of the muzzle brakes, to each his own on that subject however..for years I was anti brake, no mas amigo! I love'em.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote