THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ruger tang-safety .284 winchester

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger tang-safety .284 winchester
 Login/Join

posted
First post, so I hope this is the correct way.

I have a Ruger 77 in .284 winchester. I am hoping you folks can answer a few questions about the rifle.

The magazine seems to be 3.0 inches in length, and handloads of 2.90 AOL fit just fine. The guy I bought the rifle from gave me his pet handload, which was 2.90. Was this the length of Ruger's short action, or did Ruger make a "medium" action for calibers such as this, 7x57, .257 roberts, etc.?

Would like to put a lightweight synthetic stock on it. It seems that few makers produce stocks for this version of the 77. Any recommendations?

Thanks
jvy

Posts: 7 | Location: idaho | Registered: 20 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would assume it is their short action.

I have a Tikka M595 short action in 284 win(origionally a 7-08) its magazine measures 3.020", so I can load my 284 out to 3" easy enough.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few Ruger 77 Rs in 284. All have been tang safety short actions.

Ruger chambered the 77 in 284 early in the production run and then dropped it. Sometime in the 1980s, there was a small, non-cataloged, run of 77 Rs made in 284 with a 3-digit prefix on the serial number. I believe that the last 1 that I had, had a 770- or 771- prefix.

Ruger 77s that were factory barreled/chambered in 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, and 7x57 all have long actions. Or at least all of them that I have seen have had long actions.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My synthetic stock recommendation would be McMillan, www.mcmfamily.com. Look under "Specials" at the top of the page for the best prices or check with Rick Bin at 24hourcampfire.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote