Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shooting a 300 PRC??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone shooting a 300 PRC?

On paper it seems like a great cartridge. There are a lot of new rifles being chambered in 300 PRC.

I was curious if anyone had real world experience with it.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 PRC. I have not shot it yet, due to Covid. It has a Swarovski Z-5 3.5X18 44mm, with a Custom Turret from Outdoorsmans, mounted on it. Looking forward to using it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but shot two of them a fair amount out to 500 yards helping set it them up for friends. One was a Bergara HMR pro and the other was a Christianson Arms...can't recall the model but it had a carbon fiber lightweight barrel.

Both were dandy shooters but that's s easily attributed to the guns than the cartridge. I own an HMR pro in 6.5 and its as close to a one hole gun as I own. But in both cases the 300 PRC guns shot well and the Hornady ELD-M ammo we were using did a great job out to 5oo yards.

Its got some kick to it. In my experience with my 2 Win Mags the PRC seems roughly the same in terms of performance. SOme will say its more efficient. Ehhhh You can make a paper argument for it maybe. From a practical standpoint its not much difference. I've thought about picking one up just because then I go play with one of my 300 Win Mags and shrug my shoulders and say why bother. Besides...ammo and brass for the thing is impossible now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Is anyone shooting a 300 PRC?

On paper it seems like a great cartridge. There are a lot of new rifles being chambered in 300 PRC.

I was curious if anyone had real world experience with it.

Thanks!!

I shoot a 300 Norma Mag. It’s a little more souped up than the 300 wm and 300 prc.

Ammo has gotten cheap. Strange world in the age of a ammo shortage 300 Norma mag ammo is cheaper than 300 win mag and I have bought 1000s of rounds.

I have hunted with 300 Norma mag and it is a beast. Basically shoots a 30 cal up to 235 grain at 4400 ft lb.

I shoot it with muzzle brake and recoil is less than 6.5 cm.

300 prc should be a great gun. I am not sure what it would add over a 300 win mag for hunting. But I shoot my 300 Norma 10x what I shoot the 300 win mag at the range.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 PRC as a proof of concept rifle for the cartridge as a go/no go decision point for a future custom build.

The good: It, like all of the current/contemporary Hornady cartridges is well designed where it counts (throat & twist). Mine matched advertised velocities and had low shot to shot dispersion on target out to 600 meters which is as far as I ran it. Is it revolutionary? No, not at all. Is it better than a the Win or Wby version? Yes, maybe, but the increments at the margin are getting awfully thin. Since bullets seem to be getting longer by the year the twist and long C.O.A.L. Relative to case length are advantageous.

The bad: Hornady brass remains among the worst rifle brass I’ve used. After two to three loads on each piece of brass the primer pockets were done for. The other options are ADG which is reportedly excellent brass but it’s pricey and they seem to under underestimate the demand for their product relative to the two production runs they’ve made, and Lapua which is forthcoming.

The ugly: Not the cartridge but the Rifle. I have experience with two Christensen Ridgelines. One the aforementioned PRC and a friends in .300 Win Mag. Yes they shoot lights out but they aren’t so hot on build quality for the price point in my opinion.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say the Christianson we shot wouldn't group worth a darn when we were trying to do the initial sight in. I had to go through all the scope mounting system and even tried a scope off one of my rifles and it still had issues. I finally took it out of the stock and found it wasn't properly seated in the bedding. So I fixed that and re-torqued the action screws to spec. Finally it shot really well so that was probably it. Stupid lack of attention to detail easily fixed. But shouldn't come that way for that price like you said.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What is Christianson? Just misspelled Christensen Arms or any unknown custom maker?

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s Christensen Arms.

Christensen Arms

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I always liked "Christensen Arms" concept until I have saw few. As you said, build quality (finish) is not on par with the money they want for.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Mesa Precision, Hill Country Rifles or West Texas Ordnance are good options if you want a nice custom in 300 prc.

I had a Christensen Arms BA Tactical for a short period of time, it was good trading material.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote