New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 x 56 Mannlicher Recipes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Gang. I just recently purchased a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine. It will make a great companion to my 1903. I'm going to have fun working up loads for 250 gr round nose bullets.
The little data that I found lists primarily 3031 powder. I was wondering if anybody might have some other recipes using other powders.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you slugged your bore? The bore on my 1905 measures .353. I size my 250 grain Hornadys to fit.
I've had the best results with H335 and a Fed. 215 primer, 45 grains gives me a little over 2100 fps. Reloader 15, Fed. 210, 2025 fps.
No need for me to say start lower, your rifle may vary.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I use reformed Winchester 30-06 cases and turn the necks.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to get the rifle in my hands this week. I will slug the bore when I get it. I've been considering Hawk bullets since they list multiple diameters for 9mm.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Handloader magazine issue number 170 (July-Aug 1994) has a "Pet Loads" article by Ken Waters on the 9x56 M-S with a fair number of loads. If you will PM me with your email address I can send photos of that article. Ken is a bit wordy and I disagree with some of his findings, but it's still the best source of 9x56 data.

I took my first elk in the '80s with a 1905 carbine using 250 grain Winchester Silvertips slimmed down to .353" and was very happy with the rifle (except the recoil - the darn carbines hardly weigh anything).

Winchester 30-06 brass worked best for me too because it's just enough smaller at the case head than other brands that it fits the M-S chamber perfectly. I'll see if I can dig up my actual load.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info steve

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ken Water's book "Pet Loads" has a lot of info on that calibre as well as a lot of others. I sold my 1905 to another member here a few years ago with a lot of extras, including a bullet swaging die. If memory serves, he lives in Hershey, Pa. so he might be close to you. I THINK his handle here is custombolt if I remember correctly.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my new/old toy yesterday. My 1905 Mannlicher carbine was made in 1913. She is a beauty! A true carbine with 17inch barrel and double set triggers. I'm certain she's going to kick like a mule but I'll be smiling from ear to ear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my 1905 MS out to the range yesterday to see if she had a preference to bullet diameter. I purchased some Hornady 250 grain Interlock spire point bullets and sized them down to .354 and .355 diameter.
Well, it looks like I have a winner! This group was made at 50 yards with a peep sight. The load is .355 with 48.0 grains of IMR 4064.
This old girl built in 1913 will be accompanying me in the PA woods this year. I don't know why the target picture is rotated 90 degrees. Sorry about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Legend bullets might work well for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip delloro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 9x57 mausers and the 220 gr Speer bullet works very well also

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread! For those of you who swage down jacketed bullets, what is your source of swaging equipment? Corbin?
Many thanks,
Roger

Posts: 473 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The least expensive route that I found was to purchase custom over-run breech lock sizing dies in .355 and .354 at $16.00 dollars each. I also had to purchase the breech lock kit that accepts the dies for $15.00. The breech kit can be used with any other sizing dies that I might buy in the future.
I sure would like to locate a nice 1910 MS to add to the collection.