THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ok 338-308 (aka 338 Federal) users, need some hunting reports
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok 338-308 (aka 338 Federal) users, need some hunting reports
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yes, for any paper and deer hunting I'd be happy with 200 Hornady's which is why I bought 2 boxes, and yet to have a 338 Federal, but intend to as I like the round. It is a practical round for much hunting, not a super long range number, but with enough reach that at normal hunting distances, 'reach' will not be an issue. Let's face it, much game is under 300 yds, and depending on the available rest, or lack thereof, 200-300 yds in the field is not always a chip shot with most guns of portable weight. That said, I do remember seeing a posting of a guy who custom built basically a 'tactical style/weight' rifle in 338 Federal. Heavy to carry? Yes! Do I think it will work out well for him? YES! I expect having a steady holding rifle in a moderate cartridge that should have very solid penetration, wound channel, and energy trasmission will be a sure bet w/in the round's capabilities and shooting a rifle so designed will ensure field accuracy, but building a rifle like that is not what most would choose if they expect to tote it around when not sitting.

Thanks for the posts.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sako 85 hunter is a fairly substantial chunk of wood and steel but the weight sure helps getting a good shot off. And you can shoot it off the bench all day without getting punchy.

6.5BR thanks for this thread it has gotten me excited about spend a little more time with my 338 Federal.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I know many don't see this round as 'sexy' but it seems like a 'practical' round for many, and I hope to get one to fool with myself. When you get bored with your Sako, and need cash fast, and I am in that position, let me know. Sako has to be hard to beat. ALMOST got a Tikka last year but I held off, just wanted the STEEL bottom of the sako, not plastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I get bored with a Sako I just put in one of my safes and shoot one of my five Blasers or one of my Sauers or one of my other Sakos I am not sure how many Sakos I have but I am always finding one I forgot I had.

I do not usually part with any of my favorites and I like em all.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, parted with some Sako's in past Roll Eyes

Nice rifles you named. The wood that stood out the most I believe at the SHOT show was the Blaser's and the Perazzi....one shotgun was literally 250-300k, dead serious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be working on loads with the 210grain Scirroccos in the next few days Will post a report next week.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
One never knows about calculations, but "Load From a Disk" estimates 4.16" low at 250 yards with a bullet 2.5" high at 100.

Guess this an example of why they always say to compare calculated info with real results.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Frontier, and with the 200 Hornady, highest velocity was 2393 fps. With the 200 Speer, I got 2508 fps for 3 shots? Not sure if it was a chrony error? Seemed pretty high, and will have to retest the load? Wondering if I should push for higher velocities from the 16" barrel? I am using 308 Win brass ran through my sizing die. Have to admit, with a cheap Simmons pistol scope in the forward position, and aiming through a little tunnel in the scope because of needing more eye relief, I have had a couple 1/2" 3 shot groups with some loads, and several under an inch. Plus my aging eyes, I think its pretty good for a light barrel weight.

Posts: 298 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I think you are getting what you can in that 16" bbl, 2500 is about right based on Ken Waters getting just over 2600 in a 23 or 24" bbl with 200 ballistic tips.

Same load both bullets? Could be different diameters, I'd mike the bullets just out of curiosity to see if one is tighter than the other, but bearing surface and bullet base/heel design may also differ, interesting. Great accuracy though, and if you are likely using it in timber, it should do what you need, handle quick, kill effectively and efficiently.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I shot a small 110lb whitetail with the 200grn Federal Fusion factory load on our season opener. I placed the bullet in the base of the neck at 150 yards. It stopped at the neck bone and went no further.

I dropped the deer off at a processor, so didn't manage to recover the bullet while butchering.

That doesn't prove anything about the Fusion, but one would expect more penetration on a tiny deer. Seems the Fusion may be quite soft. I hope to try it again on a broad side presentation. May just have to use a doe tag this weekend.

These factory rounds chrono 2675fps at 15'. I just bought them for the brass, but they shot descent groups and are much faster than any of my handloads thus far.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
VERY good speed, what gun/bbl length? Custom bbl? Thanks, yes surprised bullet did not go through, may have hit some solid bone-base of neck, what angle? Thanks and congrats on the shot, nice shooting.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Factory 22-7/16" tube (Tikka). Yep, angle into the neck bone, but still expected alittle more penetration even though it hit the spine on an angle. Like I said, doesn't prove anything yet. I'll try to smack another before long with the Fusion, hopefully a broadside presentation.

Yes, they are quick, I've tried several powders and can't even get close to 2600 in the same tube. One thing I found out quickly while reloading this round is that many of the suggested powders such as 4895 and Varget are alittle too slow for this cartridge. I've had to move to faster powders to get over 2500 fps with 200s. My best loads yet have been while using AA2015BR under 200 Grn HDY SPILFBs. Max recommended loads have been between 2500-2550 and produced sub moa accuracy. Slightly over max has kept the accuracy and picked up the speed a bit, but I'm running out of case capacity quickly. I couldn't get any descent speed out of the 200 NBTs. I'm probably going to eventually swap the bolt release and magazine on this rifle for the LA set-up so I can get closer to the lands and gain alittle capacity.

I got side tracked with other projects and just zeroed with the remaining Fusions I had left from break in.

Don't know what powder Federal is using, but I'm thinking it's a compressed faster burning powder, something with a rate similar to 2015.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
That is a coincidence, my 7BR 21" gets 2875 or so from 2015/120 grain bullets, 200 fps off a 7/08 using 2/3 powder! Not bad. That powder may be overlooked for many applications. Might try 335 and others with similar burn rate.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe it get's over looked a bit. I even stumbled onto some descent 30-30 loads with it at one time. Also ran into several really accurate 22-250 loads while using 2015 under 50-55grn pills.

I may have to look at 335, I believe I will be trying at least 2 more powders in the 2015 range when hunting season winds down. I really hate to use powders that don't have published data but, with today's programs and starting with minimum loads it can be safely done and has been working for years with many custom carts.

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
IIRC Sierra tech told me long ago he used 335 alot in 358 WCF. Did say have to watch as pressure is not 'linear' but I use a full-compressed load in my BR, suspect a load would be similar in 338F and 358 but would look for data.

Let us know what works well for you.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
110 lb Doe broadside at 250 yards. 200 grn Factory Fusion again. Aimed alittle to high and impacted the bottom of the spine just above the lungs. Took out about 3" of the spine as well as damaging the top of the lungs for a quick death on the spot. Exit around 1.25" in dia. Tried to find the bullet in the soft topsoil behind her with no luck.

I may carry this rifle a few more times when the rut begins to try it on a little larger deer.

Ya'll have a good one.

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I believe IIRC, 2015 was what put my 50gr or 55s out at 3400 from a 223 with 22" bbl. Bypassed most any or all other powders tried. I don't see 2015 used much but it has a niche in many ctgs as a preferred 'go-to' powder.