Find
Notify
Tools

7mm CX bullets from Hornady
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I was able to pick up a few boxes of 150 grain 7mm CX Hornady bullets at my local.

Has anyone loaded for them yet?

Do I need some kind of special seating stem or are they of a normal ogive to fit a normal stem?

The only 7mm Blaser dies are from Lee and Lee doesn't do fancy Match dies.

Our whole house was packed for a move to Idaho, but we went up there and didn't like Idaho Falls so we aren't moving.

I have yet to unpack my reloading gear.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho falls ain't Idaho.
it's more like 4 cities scabbed together with 2x4's.
those bullets sound too fancy for me,, so I got nuthin there.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the new CX bullets.
Watched a Hornady promo video. I think they recommend the ELD-X seating stem due to the sleeker nose profile.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
Idaho falls ain't Idaho.
it's more like 4 cities scabbed together with 2x4's.
those bullets sound too fancy for me,, so I got nuthin there.

Job was in Idaho Falls.

Not going to go into the details of it. I work for the government, and this was a inter-agency transfer with a lot of lies and deception.

Property managers and half of anyone else we had to deal with was the same.

I did meet one awesome real estate agent, retired Marine. Hell of a guy.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Namibia and used those 150 CX with excellent success.

Only recovered 4 out of a dozen or so, and retained weight was 93.3 % excellent accuracy and expansion.

I'd use them again.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have used Barnes equivalents in 30, 357 and 40 caliber. Normal stems seated them fine, probably because they are much less likely to deform than lead.

What was common to them was that they were very accurate and expanded very well at much lower velocities than normal mons. I tested the 30 cals down to 1100 FPS and they were perfect. The 357s I tested down to just below 900 FPS, ad copy expansion. The 40 cals I tested to 900 something FPS and got perfect expansion.

BCs were not great, but that's not what you want these bullets for anyway. These are for lower velocity full expansion and penetration. They deliver that.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry: How would you compare the Hornady CX to the Barnes TSX or TTSX? I just got back from a trip to South Africa where I shot several animals with the .270 WSM and the 130 gr. TTSX. I was impressed with the bullet. I shot a klipspringer at 182 yards and hit him just behind the shoulder and it came out just in front of the hind quarter on the opposite side. The exit hole was only about a half inch and did very little damage to the hide. The PH said it was about the same as using a .375 with a FMJ. I shot a red lechwe and got about the same entrance and exit holes but internally cut most of the arteries at the top of the heart and lots of lung damage. Same entrance and exit holes also on a common reedbuck but hit a little higher. Lots of lung damage and only ran about 15 yards.