New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper does it! Range test/pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I got to the range with my new Cooper in .270 Winchester, and all I can say is wow! I had removed the action from the stock, and figured out enough about the trigger to lighten it to right at 3 lbs., and cleaned it up a bit, it felt great. I stuck it back together, and tightened the action screws to 65 in/lbs.

I shot one 3 shot group at the end of my range day with this rifle, as I figured I would be just tuning in my Cooper. Well long story short, it is one of the best groups I ever shot, I'm not even sure how to measure it really, it's just a tad over caliber size in total, 3 shots-- and just call me a wuss, but I just couldn't shoot it anymore that day. I guess it's like shooting 4 under on the front nine, and then just not playing the back nine!

The loads were virgin Nosler brass, 58 gr. 4831 SC, and CCI LR primers, and Nosler factory 2nd 130 gr. Accubonds. Just set up the rounds to clear the magazine with a fair bit of room in the magazine, and don't even know how far off the lands I am. Boresited in a 3x10x42 Swaro, Talley rings. Damn, what will I do if the load actually shoots worse the next few rounds--only downhill from here right?!

I was actually aiming at the bottom bull, so the POI is about 3 inches high, and I guess I could tweak the windage Roll Eyes

At any rate, the Cooper handles recoil well, not that it is a huge issue in a .270, but relatively it is great. I think this is going to be a regular to the field......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niiice! I've got 2 Coopers and brother, they do shoot. I've been looking in my rack trying to decide what to sell to fund one of the new model 52's. I decided I'm not ready to part with anything yet, so the next Cooper is going to have to wait a bit. I'm load testing a Remington Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in 7 mag, hoping to get 800 yard marmot accuracy. If the rifle can't do it, it may become the down payment on another Cooper.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!! So much for load development. Smiler

How much does it weigh (with the scope)???

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad, it's hard to argue with these rifles performance, and I like the all around handling of the rig, only PITA is having to take the barreled action out of the stock to adjust the trigger--so be it, I'm the kind that once I get the trigger where I want, I never move it again. I did see where they just opened up to take orders for the 280 AI improved, so maybe that could supercede your 7 mag desire.....

Phil, you're right, I almost hate to shoot the next groups, but I figure I should be close on the load thumb

I weighed it just now, and on a fairly accurate medical scale, it goes about 8lbs 8 oz to 8lbs 10 ozs with the scope. The AV scope on it weighs 12.7 ozs., so I guess you could back out 13 ozs. for scope/bases/rings and get to about 7lbs 11 ozs for the rifle alone.......

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I would have expected better. Oh well. Roll Eyes

Just kidding, that's fantastic! Only problem with a rifle like that is if you ever miss you got no excusses.

I'd like to get one of those Coopers one day in a .22-250.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy awesome group batman... beer
I don't think I've ever seen a group that good before.
That rifle is good enough to sleep with.. Big Grin
No mysteries with that rifle at all.
How long is the barrel on the rifle? Looks long from here, maybe 26 inches. I'm a long barrel loony.
Sure is a handsome rifle, and I like that stock design and color.

I'd say that rifle is a keeper.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how long is the barrel?
how much does it weigh?
what were you using as a rest?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would measure the group outside edge to outside edge , then subtract .277 for bullet diamiter.
I would not be disapointed if it does not shoot that well again. Any group of under half Moa with a hunting rifle should make you prety darn happy.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1, you're right, the only excuse left with a rig like this is 'sun in the eyes!'....Cooper is famous for it's smaller caliber rifles, and they do offer a repeater in 22-250, a friend has one, and it is beautiful wood and blue, and shoots bug holes all the time. He has a whopping big Nightforce scope on it that makes it a long range varmint nightmare!

Don, the barrel is 25 1/4" long.

Kstephens, it weighs about 8lbs 8ozs. with the scope and rings/bases, no ammo, the Swaro weighs 12.7 ozs., so if you back out 13 ozs. for scope/bases/rings it's probably about 7lbs 11 ozs. naked.
For a rest, which I always use during load development, I used a Sinclair mechanical front rest (owl ear bag) and a rear bag from Protektor that is filled with 'heavy' sand from Sinclair. Very stable and repeatable setup.

TJ, I really figure that was the right way to measure, I just don't have that many one hole groups that are that small. I could have shot a couple more and probably opened her up to an 1/2" or so. I DO agree with you though, a hunting rig that will shoot 1/2 MOA or better is darn good.

Thanks guys--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont know how to say this without it sounding like an insult.
im really not tryin to be rude.
but i sure as hell would expect the rifle to shoot like that.
3x10x42 Swaroovski scope.
Talley rings.
25 1/4" BBl.
handloads.
sinclair sandbagged rest.
and a pretty much handbuilt rifle.

it should shoot a ragged hole everytime.
I have factory steyrs with leupolds that shoot almost as good with factory ammo, 20" BBl's off a bag. whats the big deal?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i dont know how to say this without it sounding like an insult.
im really not tryin to be rude.
but i sure as hell would expect the rifle to shoot like that.
3x10x42 Swaroovski scope.
Talley rings.
25 1/4" BBl.
handloads.
sinclair sandbagged rest.
and a pretty much handbuilt rifle.

it should shoot a ragged hole everytime.
I have factory steyrs with leupolds that shoot almost as good with factory ammo, 20" BBl's off a bag. whats the big deal?

Ahem!

There are plenty of guns on the market that don't shoot as good as the Steyrs do. I would expect a Steyr to do exactly what you describe. Many folks who own Steyrs can't shoot as well as the rifle can. So good on you.

The Cooper rifles are also known for their accuracy. From what little I've heard about Cooper, is the founder of Cooper left Kimber to start Cooper. It's rumored Kimber rifles have not been what they once were, since then. Personally, I'd take the Cooper over the Kimber nowadays hands down.

Fish30114,

You have a heck of nice gun that you can apparently shoot well enough to appreciate it's accuracy. Getting a group like that is not all the gun. Don't let anyone kid you. Some folks can't shoot a group like that even if the gun is capable of it.

If you've shared this with others, I'm sure you're already getting some peanut gallery comments from folks who say their "____" could do that if it had a better scope, better handloads, they were more "in-practice... (insert excuse here). Or you get the other end of it with statements like, "I don't need a rifle that is that accurate." or "It wouldn't shoot that good if it was a real caliber like a 300 Win Mag."

Congratulations, for shooting a good rifle well are few and far between. So let me officially become one of the few to say, you did real good. Great rifle and great shooting.

Folks who claim they can do as well, rarely are able to prove it. Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Pretty decent accuracy from a calibre which apparently is not known for it... Cool

I really like the profile of that stock, is it an in house Cooper design or someone else's design?

I have a couple of pretty accurate rifles, with decent scopes, but it is usually me who is the weak link in that particular chain.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Is this a single shot or one of the newer magazine models?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, it is one of the new model 52's, detachable box magazine fed repeaters.

Brian, it is in fact the Cooper synthetic 'Jackson Game Rifle' stock, I like the geometry a lot, and though I wasn't sure when I ordered it, I actually like the color scheme also.

Kstephens, point taken, but like The Big Guy said, Steyr's aren't run of the mill rifles, and apparently you are an excellent shooter. I actually think for first rounds out of a rifle with loads that are just starting loads It's impressive performance. I shoot a LOT and don't see lot's of groups like that ever with larger caliber hunting rigs. I have several that will, almost all of them have had a load developed for them though. I do have one Sauer that will do similar with factory ammo--at least the current ammo from the same lot (got 3 1/2 boxes left), but IME rifles that perform that well with factory ammo are pretty few and far between. I've shot some similar groups before, but not first rounds out of a rig, with loads that were just a starting point so to speak. Even with rifles that I know will do it, like Claret Dabbler says I don't always do it! I do need to get a Steyr though......

Big Guy, thanks for the comments, it does mean something to me for someone to recognize that it's not just that commonplace, except apparently for Kstephens Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish, Most people here I think are able to separate the wheat from the chaff, the real deals from the BS. Good shooting.
Steyr's are good rifles but they aren't the be all and end all the the obsessive KSTEPHENS makes them out to be. And "Almost as Good" isn't "AS Good".
I've got 4 Steyr's, maybe one of these days if I'm ever home for long enough I should box one up and send it too you to play with for a little while. You might enjoy it and want one, or might not, we'll see....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ,. thanks, as usual, good perspective.

Take care--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and people say the .270 isnt accurate! very nice group. I have a rem 700 sendero in .270, but it isnt a 1 hole rifle like that. congrats!