THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    When a hunting bullet completely penetrates an animal and exits...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a hunting bullet completely penetrates an animal and exits...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurleys story is the same as Ive seen many times..I suspect "energy" is a worn out term, but I equate energy to bullet expansion created by velocity to some degree and that tends to create the term to some extent..The bottom line is choice..take your pick, base on the majority most kills I,ve had or witnessed seem to produce internal destruction about the same, one with a exit and one expended at the off side skin, they both work and I don't believe the thread is of any value, because it is what it is..I do believe well constructed bullets properly placed is the answer..

An example IMO is monolithic of proper weight do an enormous amount of internal damage (energy to some) and they most always get an exit hole, Same for Noslers Accubonds and partitions and simular bullets..

To each his own, but I don't see energy as a good guide to bullet performance, just another made up figure in by some gun crank of yesteryear trying to impress the masses, and did a pretty job of it..The more destruction internally and the biggest hole coming out is a pretty good reference to killing power and on an on..

And thats what we are here for, to opine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The moral of the story is bullets can do very funny things.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only projectile that will leave all it energy in a soft target such as an animal is one that does not expand and does not exit. A considerable amount of energy is expended in an expanding bullet in the plastic deformation of the projectile it self.
It there is no plastic deformation of the projectile then all the contact energy is transferred into the target cavity (not exiting)
I do not suggest it is the most effective terminal method.
Mechanically there are four ways to transfer energy. Fracture, elastic deformation, plastic deformation, heat/friction.
All aspects/ sum of these can be an expulsion of energy on the projectile and target.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:

Very true.

A funny thing happen on the way to the target

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog
and thats even if they get there! Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a rifle that will shoot thru the animal Im hunting lengthwise, then Im prepared for whatever happens..sure handy when the first shot doesn't put them down especially on the larger stuff, but follow up on even deer is important to penetrate a going south animal pumped up on adrenaline. And Ive hunted many elk when the stuff was so thick a 30 yard shot was all you get, if fact its the best place to find a big bull..black timber swamps,and blow down timber areas..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:

A platoon on line ambush at night with tracers in the mix will give you a pretty good idea. BTDT.

Semper Fi

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote