Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.350 RM vs .338 WM vs 9.3x62
 Login/Join

posted
Everyone seems to have their favorites but is there any practical difference between effectiveness of a .350 Rem mag and a .338 Win mag and the 9.3x62 using comparable bullets? I was thinking in terms of use on moose, elk and perhaps large bear if I ever get to Alaska. Which is easiest to reload for?
Thanks

Posts: 41 | Location: Monroe,NC | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You will have a better time getting whelen and win mag ammo in Alaska from what I hear.

Write in vote for the 35 whelen and 338 win in second.

All of those are HUNTING and not stopping carts and being that you will have a guide any of those would do.

Here is a good article that might help you decide

http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides...s-For-Big-Bears.html

Aim and bullet will make the diff.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got all three. Short to medium range no difference in stopping power. Long range definate advantage to the 338. Bullet SD, trajectory, wind drift, and penetration goes to the 338. I don't hunt long range and don't like the kick of a lightweight 338, so mostly hunt with 9.3 or 30-06 now.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
robert
i'd say 338 win mag.
but i''m not you ,borrow or beg some one who owns all 3 or one, but shoot them all for yourself,then decide.
moose are big n live in big bear country. Bull elk can be hard to put down.big bears can soak-up alot of lead.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farrknives:
I've got all three. Short to medium range no difference in stopping power. Long range definate advantage to the 338. Bullet SD, trajectory, wind drift, and penetration goes to the 338. I don't hunt long range and don't like the kick of a lightweight 338, so mostly hunt with 9.3 or 30-06 now.

How would a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester sound, or even 338-06? Just curious.
Dan

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also got all three, well almost. I have a 9.3x74r instead of the 62mm, but that's neither here nor there.

I enjoy all three cals, but my first thought would be to disregard the 350 remington and replace it with the 35 Whelen. The whelen is just as good with a bit more versatility and availability... my all-around favorite for N. American game.

As mentioned earlier, the 338 has the advantage in availability, distance, and S.D. The 9.3 has got a much more arched trajectory, but it does make bigger holes than the 338... another fantastic round. The Whelen won't be as flat as the 338, but flatter than the 62mm. It doesn't have quite the power that the other two have (obviously bigger holes than the 338), but it's got comparably less recoil.

In conclusion, I would personally choose the Whelen simply out of personal preference, and the 9.3 would be a close second. However, the smart choice is probably a weather proof 338 win mag simply b/c of the fact you'll be hunting in Alaska, and you might need that extra bit of distance the winny will give you.

ZThe 358 win, 338 federal don't perform as well as the 35 Whelen and the 338 win mag respectively. The 338-06 is, however, another good option, but why not get the extra juice of the win mag or the fatter bullets of the Whelen? My 2 pence.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
One bonus with the 9.3 is that if you ever decide to hunt Buffalo in Africa, this caliber will be fine in most areas.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with both the 338 Winmag and the 35 Whelen, I see very little difference in performance on red deer and moose using 250 gr bullets in both.

As mentioned above, the 338 Win will stretch the range a bit compared to the 35 Whelen, especially if one is using monometal bullets in ex 210 to 215 gr weights.

As it is, the Whelen has come to be my "do it all rifle". It´s a Ruger M77 with 22" Shilen barrel, light and handy and I like it very much.

The 338 Winmag will be with me on my next PG trip to RSA as we will hunt open landscape in Northern Cape as well as bush veldt in Limpopo.

I know you didn´t ask for the 35 Whelen, but I like it wery much.
No personal experience with the 350 Rem Mag or the 9,3x62 by the way.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......I don,t think there would be a spit worth of difference in the 3,s killing time...other than bullet selection/ distance to target .....Most important is find the rifle you shoot the best and get better with it ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo favors 338 otherwise about the same.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your knowledge and experience. Don't know why I did not think of the Whelen but that does sould pretty good too. From what I have heard, the .338 is pretty stout in recoil so perhaps the Whelen would make more sense. I already have a .30/06 so I could use those cases to form .35 W if necessary.

Posts: 41 | Location: Monroe,NC | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Duncan:
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your knowledge and experience. Don't know why I did not think of the Whelen but that does sould pretty good too. From what I have heard, the .338 is pretty stout in recoil so perhaps the Whelen would make more sense. I already have a .30/06 so I could use those cases to form .35 W if necessary.

clap

just do a custom barrel with a 1 in 12 twist and long throated thumb

the ai version has the same capacity as the 9,3x62

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote