Notify
Tools

savage 12 accuracy issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Savage 12 FVSS in .308 win. I've read many posts here and elsewhere about the "out of the box" accuracy of these rifles. Seemed to be just what I needed.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it (after breaking it in) of factory and handloaded ammo. I'm a little concerned and at least not impressed. It is pretty consistently in the 1.5-2" range at 100m. Certainly not what I was expecting. My best group yet was about 0.6" with Remington accutip ammunition. Handloads haven't cracked 1 MOA yet. I've used both Varget and RL15 (RL-15 gives significantly less depressing results) and have stuck to Hornady SST bullets (mostly 180 gr, I need something I can possibly use on moose). I recently put a Choate ultimate varmint stock on to see if it helps It did, a bit, but now the thing weighs more than a tank (I don't mind as long as it shoots).

I'm at a bit of a loss right now. I haven't gone and bought a box of match ammo yet "just to see". Not sure I want to waste the money but it might be worth it.

The problem could be with the shooter but I'm the best shot I know (I actually know I'm pretty good)

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of bedding the action but I'm not holding my breath that it will do the trick. Everyone has a load that will drive tacks (in their gun) but I'd rather not waste the resources searching for that (Does that make me too lazy/cheap to solve this problem?)

Re-barreling is not an option.
What is?

Anyone else had a savage act up on them until they found the trick?

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
FWIW the scope is a Bushnell elite 3200 10x mil-dot.
Not top of the line, but I can read the fine print on the target. I don't see it being the problem.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Just one opinion, but I'd take a serious look at different weight bullets. I understand your desire for the heavier load but a good 150 or 165 gr. bullet should work nearly as well on game. My .308 doesn't shoot 180's well at all, but improves a bunch as bullet weight goes down. I have an '06 with exactly the opposite problem, won't shoot well with anything but 180's.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Some things to look for in "not shooting" Savages:
1. Bedding. Is the barrel free floating? If not, get out the sandpaper and something to seal it with afterwards.
2. After checking to ensure all screws are reasonably tight for the action, can you slide a sheet of thin paper around and under the rear of the tang? If not, grab that sandpaper again and gently relieve this area, gently.
3. It sounds as if you have fired sufficient rounds, but ocassionally a Savage will take about 100 rds to settle in. Clean it thoroughly.
4. Have you tried a different scope? Recheck the mounts too.
By the way, a 165gr premium bullet out of the .308 has killed a lot of elk in Colorado.
Good Luck

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would for sure try some different bullets. Start with a match bullet and a proven load to see if its even close. I'm betting the SST might be the problem. Try something as simple as a 150 gr. round nose and see if that will work. If the match loads show no promise, and the 150 class bullets won't shoot for beans either, then I'd say you have a real problem, but to base it on factory loads and only one bullet in the handloads doesn't give much room to show what it can do. head over to here to see about a load that seems to work in a number of different rifles....http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/index.php

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give the 150-gr Nosler Ballistic Tip a try.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If new, I'd send it back to the Savage Customer Service Dept..or have a gunsmith check it out...
he could probably tell you cheaper, than burning several boxes of match ammo thru it at today's costs...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get a box of Black Hills 168gr Match. If it doesn't put five in under half an inch, there IS something amiss. Scope bases and rings tight? My last two 308's, a tactical, and a 12BVs-SS both shoot under 1/2" and the BV is a .25-.30 grouper for five shots.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the replies.

I was starting to suspect that a lighter bullet might be the answer (disappointing). Not sure if I'll try some lighter handloads (gotta get something figured out soon, the season is here) or some "factory" match stuff (not sure what is available around here).

I agree that sending it to a smith or to Savage might be cheaper than fumbling around at the range (less frustrating too) but time is an issue.

If I can figure out how to post images (not so talented at this stuff) I'll put some results up.

Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington 700 VSS in 308 (now a 338) that wouldn't shoot 180's of anything and the SST's were the worst.

I went to 165gr Interbonds and it got a whole lot better. The interbonds were consistent 1.25" at 100 and they do a little better in my wife's 308.

The Barnes 168gr TSX bullets are MOA or better in both rifles. They don't copper clad anywhere like they use to and they are faster.

I currently use the 185gr TSX bullets in my 338 Federal. I'm sold on these bullets now.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility...check the condition of the crown at the muzzle. A light clean-up may make a difference.

Plus, mount a scope of known integrity just to eliminate the possibility that the current glass is not holding zero.

Bedding may also provide a gain in accuracy. I`ve epoxy bedded an early 112BVSS in .308 that showed dramatic improvement. I left .010/.015 clearance under the rear tang. Just my preference, not everyone does it in the same fashion.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I have a nice Savage 112 FSAK in .300 RUM , perfect for moose !!! With the adjustable muzzle brake it feels like a .270. It also shot .5 MOA out of the box. I put about 50 rounds through it and haven't touched it in 3 years since I really have no use for it.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First check the scope mounts, make sure they're tight. Next swap scopes with a known good one. With a rifle like the heavy barreled savages, it's a 95% chance the trouble is in the scope or mounts. It doesn't matter if the scope was new out of the box, I've had more scopes bad from the factory than I've had break on the rifle.

I've loaded for four different heavy barreled savages, a FV in 22-250, a FLV in 308, a 112 FVSS in 220 swift, and a BVSS in 22-250. The worst of these would consistently average under .5 MOA. Heavy barreled savages shoot, no question about it. Most likely it isn't your rifle, and that a good shooting rifle shouldn't shoot some stuff into 2" and have a magic load that does .5", it should be a lot more consistent than that. If you still can't get it to shoot then send it back to savage, they should make it good.

My bet is it's the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We ended up bore scoping the barrel on my cheap Savage when it would not shoot. Was a mess from the factory! Just junk.

Put a Douglas tube on it. Put it in a Brownell's glass stock. Replaced the trigger guard with a metal one. Had to adjust the firing pin exposure to make it consistently ignite WLR primers.

Now it shoots, but it doesn't eject.

Shoots 165 CLs, 165 Noslers, and 168 gr HPBT match bullets very well.

Ended up being anything but cheap. I cannot recommend a Savage in .308 Win.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
Wellll,

I got out to the range this weekend and put some lighter bullets through the rifle.

The results were great (at first)

155gr. AMAX, 45-47gr. RL-15 shot 0.4 to 0.7" at 100yds. Sweet, just what I'm looking for.

150 gr. sierra gameking, similar loads, 1.3-1.7"

I'm not sure if this gun doesn't like hunting bullets or if this is acceptable groups for a SGK. I've read that these tend to be "extremely accurate" hunting bullets. Maybe there are too many manufacturer marketers trolling on these pages Wink

Factory Remington corelokt 150 gr. (cheapest stuff I can find) shot 0.375" for a 3 shot group.

I'm really not sure what to make of this gun. I'm certainly not trusting it on deer past 200yds (which is perfectly reasonable).

Maybe I'll blow $20 bedding the action or something.