THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    How many here shoot a 6.5x55 Swede?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many here shoot a 6.5x55 Swede?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tell me about it. I have had my interest piqued.
Thanks!

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of them. The first one I bought is a Howa and the chamber is a bit generous. I can seat a bullet out so far that it's barely inside the case but it still doesn't touch the lands. I doesn't shoot worth a damn either.

I also have a CZ 550FS. It has a 20.5" barrel and the full stock. It's very accurate and a pleasant rifle to shoot. Mild Recoil which is slightly more than my 243Win and less than my 25-06.
I haven't bloodied it yet so I can't say how well it performs on game.
I shoot 130gr Swift Scirocco bullets out of it and it will shoot them into 3/4". The trigger is 2.5lbs standard and the set trigger breaks at 14oz. To light for my taste but I don't use the set trigger in the field.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a 96 for awhile it killed deer just fine.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Load it to modern pressures in a modern rifle with H4350 and you will kick the crap of any 6.5 creedmor Big Grin

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built several 6.5x55s on Turk and VZ Mauser actions. My daughter killed a really nice Montana 8pt whitetail with the one I built for her. Built one for my son as well, he passed some years ago, so now one of my nephews hunts with that one, it’s killed axis deer, black buck, whitetails and lots of hogs.

None of the Swedes I built were hard to load for and they didn’t disappoint in the accuracy department.

I also have a CZ550 American that is very accurate and easy to shoot. It’s taken deer and antelope. One of the most accurate rifles I own.

6.5x55...accurate, low recoil, punches well above its weight, what’s not to like!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger m77 African in 6.5 swede.
Really mild recoil and shoots Speer and Hornady 140 grain pretty decent.
I usally load some typee of 4350 or Reloder 22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swede has been one of my most prized cartridges since my first one over 40 years ago. Been through 3 or 4 96 Mausers, a couple of 38/96 and even prized 94 Carbine (z1r has it now). Had a Winchester Featherweight 6.5 and it was the only one I couldn’t get to shoot. My current go to 6.5 Swede is an FN based Husqvarna 98 Mauser.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 927 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 creedmoor magnum!

Damned fine round.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-rifle is a Steyr Classic Mannlicher Full stock in 6.5 Swede. Easy recoil and extremely accurate using 140’s.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four 6.5x55 Swedes. My first was a stainless Ruger No.1. My second was a CZ 550. My third & fourth were the recent Ruger Africans from Lipsey's.

I used one of these Lipsey's specials last year to take a Pronghorn at 100 yds., using Hornady factory ammo, 140 gr. SST Superformance @ 2,735 fps.

The CZ, I turned over to Wayne at AHR for his #3 package. It's truly a gorgeous rifle and I plan to take it to Africa when this worldwide pandemic business disappears.

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is a great cartridge. I don't shoot it myself preferring 7X57 + 6.5X56 M/S but my preacher does shoot it + I have loaded for him for years. His son took his 1st whitetail with it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys I have two 6.5x55 fantastic cartridge.One is a 94 carbine ex Swedish Navy what a beauty! Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
The Swede has been one of my most prized cartridges since my first one over 40 years ago. Been through 3 or 4 96 Mausers, a couple of 38/96 and even prized 94 Carbine (z1r has it now). Had a Winchester Featherweight 6.5 and it was the only one I couldn’t get to shoot. My current go to 6.5 Swede is an FN based Husqvarna 98 Mauser.

Interesting.

I have a m70 featherweight, that has had the barrel bedded. With federal ammo it shoots under .75. All day long.

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've had one for quite a few years. It's one of the Kimber of Oregon's last ditch attempts to make some cash before selling to the New York company.

For a sporterized M96 Swede Mauser it's pretty darn accurate and shoots everything I've put through it up to 156 grain bullets. It's been my favorite blacktail caliber for years. No need to baby this rifle.

[url=https://postimg.cc/CRB4j7rQ]

I also have an original Carl Gustav m96 in military trim. Few countries made rifles as nicely finished and that shot so well.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Firstly the 6.5 is encountered with 2 throat lengths .. the "real" 6.5x55 with a longer throat for 256 bullets , and at least Winchester used a much shorter throat.. accurate ammo handloaded for one might not perform well in the other.

It's a fine cart. Generally high sd bullets and mild recoil. Critters can't tell 1mm difference, so it compares well with the 7x57 and 308

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38346 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 70 Classic 24 inch SS Action and barrel with dark almost black walnut stock.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My truck gun is a swed carbine in a plastic stock with a 2-6 bushnell scout scope. one white tail. Loaded with 140gr and H-414

Posts: 6347 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thinned down to one... a beautiful Husqvarna 1640. It is on a little field trip to Dennis Olson and I am looking forward to getting it back tweaked the ways I want it.

Posts: 160 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1909 Peru with Douglas premium barrel in 6.5X55 and a 1910 Mexican with military swede barrel---both are terrific.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One BRNO 500.2 in 12g-6,5*55

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 x 55 barrel for my Sauer 200.

My preferred load is a 130 Barnes TSX.

I have used it on Nayla, Black Wildebeast, and Mountain Reedbuck and it performed superbly.

It is an an incredible underrated cartridge and will run the pants of that newfangled 6.5 Creedmoor.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1014 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross, can't go wrong with a 6.5x55...a light-recoiling, accurate round that kills much better than its ballistics suggest. I like the big, long 156gr round nose bullets for NE Whitetail hunting, but with lighter spitzer bullets it has considerable range.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako L691 so chambered. Using 129 grain Hornady SSTs over a stiff load of Reloader 19 it turns out satisfactory hunting-sized groups on paper and performs very admirably on medium game out to 300 yards. I've killed quite a few pronghorn, deer (whitetails and muleys), and hogs and have yet to recover a bullet (I like exit holes). It is very pleasant to shoot and flat gets the job done. I like it!

Posts: 3288 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka and like it just fine. Super smooth bolt, and decent accuracy.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Firstly the 6.5 is encountered with 2 throat lengths .. the "real" 6.5x55 with a longer throat for 256 bullets , and at least Winchester used a much shorter throat.. accurate ammo handloaded for one might not perform well in the other.

It's a fine cart. Generally high sd bullets and mild recoil. Critters can't tell 1mm difference, so it compares well with the 7x57 and 308

I've heard that the American made chambers are cut to 7x57 diameter because that's the brass they use to load their 6.5x55 factory ammo in. I've never handled or shot one so I have no way of knowing if it's actually true. It seems to me a bad way to go. Anyone know if it's true? Confused

PS. Your bullet weight should be 156 grains. 256 gr bullets would really be looooong! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I have a CZ 550 6.5x55 that Lon Paul customized for me. It shoots very well with 140 NPs at about 2750 fps and extremely well with 125 NPs at about 2900 fps. this is with the short carbine barrel. With a 24" tube a expect it would tread right on the heels of the 270 Win but with better BC bullets.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12838 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I picked up a Tikka T3x Hunter model in 6.5x55 a year or two ago and it is a great combination. The little rifle is very smooth. I picked up a bunch of Lapua 123gr match ammo during a fantastic website close out sale, and even though this is a sporter, it will group under .5” at 100yds with it. It shoots well with PPU ammo also. Plenty of accuracy for whitetails at 60 yds Smiler.

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an old military Swede many years ago... traded it away for something, but got another that I Bubba'd in an attempt at sporterizing. It shot better after all that extra wood was removed from around the barrel. That one also went DTFR & I picked up a BSA CF-2 carbine with a full length stock which is still in the safe. It also shot better without all that extra wood around the barrel. It likes the old Hornady 160 RNs over 4831 or RL22 & Nosler 140 Partitions over 4350, both in Herter's (Norma) brass, the best & was along for a walk in the deer woods a few times but never killed anything.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in military guise.

Its the easiest shooting of the military guns I have. Great fun shooting steel at 1-200 yards with the old iron sights. On paper, the best I have done is a 3" 5 shot group with the irons it came with. For me, that's on a par with my better sighted (aperture type) military rifles.

Its an old military round. It will do what all of them do- kill things you shoot it at.

If you find a sporting rifle that piques your interest, it will work on everything up to moose... while I personally think its light for moose and elk, lots of folks have used it for them and manage just fine.

Go for it!

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I am convinced. I have one for my Blaser, but some of you will not accept that as an actual gun, therefore I will go fine one.

If anyone has a nice one, holler. I will be forced to use it in my Blaser otherwise....

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact united Sportsmen Company. They have a sale on a CZ model 557 in 6.5x55. Its offered at $751. That seems like a deal to me. First thing I would do on a CZ is install a Timney Trigger and side safety, and then you would have a lifetime piece. You can see the gun on GI,page 3 of the CZ Rifles list. Good luck, the 6.5x55 is my go-to rifle.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned three.
First was a M96 sporterized with full stock.
Second was a Model 70 FWT
Neither of those stuck and went down the road.

My last is a Husqvarna 1640 with new barrel and McMillan Edge stock. It just got back from a TLC trip to Dennis Olson in MT.

It is sitting on the bench as I type this. Getting bore coated and Leupold 3.5-10 re-installed tonight.

going to load some Barnes 129gr LRX and Hornady 129gr IL's and shoot them Sunday at the range.

Hope to hunt antelope and deer with it this fall.

I really like the package and thinking it will stay around awhile

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious, what do you coat the bore with.

Posts: 1119 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Dura bore coat, it is a nano ceramic coating.

Once applied and cured it makes cleaning a snap.

Usually about three cycles of foaming cleaner and a patch and all is good.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 1119 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite calibers, hits above its weight. I have several R93 barrels, and 6,5x55 is one, if not thee most accurate. If I remember correctly, I'm using Varget pushing either 130 or 140gr Accubonds.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have two. A Blaser R8 match and the prototype K95 Stutzen. Both shoot sub 1/2moa with pretty much everything.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako Hunter and a Winchester Sporter in 6.5X55. This was in the mid 90s when modern loads were rare.

I had to develop loads by measuring the base of the cases. I made a wooden plug to fit in my micrometer and diligently measured every case after every shot for over 300 round IIRC.

I ended up really good hunting loads in both rifles. The Sako would shoot 5 of the 120 gr Nosler BT into one ragged hole. I got just short of 3000 fps with Nosler 125 gr partition for 270 Win like performance.

I also got good results with the Hornady 160 gr RN.

In the last 15 years I stepped down to the 6.5X54 MS - again 2 rifles.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11004 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Many years ago, I owned a Husky 38. Very accurate with the Loooong 160’s, but minimum bullet runout was especially important to keep under control if for best accuracy. The 6.5x58 Portuguese was often referred to as the “pencil” Mauser after its’ intro to Southern Africa. All of the old military 6.5 rounds are great for hunting. Updated throat and lead specs certainly make them more accurate. I disagree with those who say the Swede is significantly superior to 260 or Creedmoor, in any way. Yes, the Swede can be pushed slightly faster in a modern rifle, but it’s not enough to matter. I prefer cartridges like the Swede and 7x57 for their history and slick feeding in Mauser rifles, but I won’t be convinced that the Creedmoor and 7mm-08 are any less effective in the field, even though they are not my cup of tee. I hope to someday add a Ruger African in 6.5 Swede or 275 Rigby to my battery. The value of the Ruger 275s is now so high that a 6.5 is the more logical choice, given my budget. The 275 has more of a “cool factor” to me, but the 6.5 is no practically no less effective. I’d eventually like both, if possible. I have the Lipsey’s Ruger in 9.3 and love it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote