New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Sako's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Sako rifles are based on Sako actions from the past, back when the recoil lug was an integral part of the receiver. I want to build a 7RM on a Sako action but I've heard that Sakos are no longer built that way. I've heard that the recoil lug is 'somehow screwed to the receiver'. Is this true? Can an accurate rifle still be built on today's Sako actions? If so, which is recommended for the 7 RM cartridge?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built several rifles in the Mag. line using the newer Sako actions. If bedded properly, the new actions are as good as any.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby B, the new 85 has an interesting recoil 'peg' and pocket. It handles recoil well. I have built 2 custom 6.5 x 284's on the 85 chassis, and they are stone cold shooters. JB at accuflite set these up for me and they are just awesome. I believe the 5 or 'L' action is designed for the 7 mag. I wouldn't hesitate to build your rig on a new 85 as the platform.

Check out the new 'Bavarian' model if you like something a little different. I need another rifle like the proverbial hole in the head, but I MUST have a Bavarian in .270 Win.........

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new issue of Rifle Shooter magazine has an article on the model 85. They claim half minute groups. Made me want one and I sure don't need to buy another rifle. I just want one.

Looks like a good platform to me. Good luck. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote