THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Hodgdon 154 interbond 7 MAG loads please

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon 154 interbond 7 MAG loads please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I'm looking for Hodgdon(ADI) loads and /or VihtaVouri as we don't have good supply of other powders in N.Z

I hope to get 3000fps with 154 interbond out of 7mm REMMAG bewildered

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
I'm looking for Hodgdon(ADI) loads and /or VihtaVouri as we don't have good supply of other powders in N.Z

I hope to get 3000fps with 154 interbond out of 7mm REMMAG bewildered

Here is what is listed in the Latest Hornady Manual (#7)

Viht n-560

2600 2700 2800 2900 3000
55.5 58.1 60.6 63.2 65.7 (max)

H-4831

2600 2700 2800
56.3 58.6 61.0 (max)

Vhit n-165

2600 2700 2800 2900
56.5 58.8 61.2 63.5 (max)

H-1000

2600 2700 2800 2900
61.2 63.6 66.0 68.3 (max)

Retumbo

2600 2700 2800 2900
62.6 65.2 67.7 70.3 (max)

Hornady cases used
Winchester Mag primers

Good luck on finding a fast accurate load beer

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Try 63-65grs H4831sc, otherwise I loaded 64grs RE22 for a buddy last year with the 154SST and he reported very accurate groups and a couple deer in the freezer. Rem. 9 1/2 primer is what I use in the 7 Mag, btw. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Try H4350 starting at 59.5 gr. and go to 63 gr. checking pressure signs as you go up in 0.5 gr. increments. It should get you there but it's on the edge pressure wise.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interbond has a thicker jacket than SST! Do not use the same loads! You will pop primers and stick bolts. Do not ask how I know, it makes me look dumber than I am.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
Interbond has a thicker jacket than SST! Do not use the same loads! You will pop primers and stick bolts. Do not ask how I know, it makes me look dumber than I am.

I dont think the Hornady manual says anything about reducing your load if loading the Interbond, the bullets look identical, same BC and everything albiet minus the cannelure, I wouldnt worry about it. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
imr 4831 is also very good 61 to 62 grains should do ya fine . w-w brass ..federal 215 mag primer. any 150 to 154 grain bullet
regads Big Grin

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
H1000 has worked well for me with 154 gr bullets in my 7mm RM, H4831 is good and my best accuracy with 160 and above is with Retumbo. I use CCI 250 primer with all loads.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
imr 4831 is also very good 61 to 62 grains should do ya fine . w-w brass ..federal 215 mag primer. any 150 to 154 grain bullet
regads Big Grin

Id agree with Jeff here, too. When I sold my 7 mag to my buddy Ron, I told him I could reload some shells right away and promptly decided on 62grs. IMR4831 with the 154 SP, though I used the Rem. 9.5 primer, brass I believe was Rem also. Went out the next morning and Ron shot a 1/2" group right off the bat, my reply was, " Ron, why did I sell that rifle"? Only problem with IMR powders is the longer grain in their granules, therefore I use sc powders now, will be loading 64grs H4831sc next week in fact for a couple buds at work, though my first choice wouldve been 64grs. RE22 had it been in stock.

posted Hide Post
http://dwightpilkilton.proboards49.com/index.cgi?board=...ay&thread=1187876584

Above is a link to my thread on our shooting club board...there is very little trafic so I use it largely so I can reffer back to it as I play with new loads ect. There are loads and pictures of targets.

The 154gr SST was the most accurate bullet of the few I've tried since I have been reloading for 7 mag (last year I just shot factory loads as I got it just before deer season opened) The best advice I can give you is forget "the magic 3K FPS line" everyone wants to pass. There is nothing wrong with it if your rifle shoots a hot load really well. And I've heard some people say the interbonds like to be pushed. But keep in mind what the other poster said...it's a harder bullet and bullets that are harder and take more force to obturate or deform and compress to fit the bore/rifling the higher chamber presure will be. You'll see the hornady SP 162gr with a much higher charge weight max than a 150gr SP Nolser ect in the Lee book and many other resources. That is why when we work up a load with "general" information we start low and work it up and make notes along the way. Every rifle has it's sweet spots in charge weights along the way and every bullet and rifle will not be the same. two different makes of the same weight and general design bullets may have very different max loads and likes and dislikes charge wise. One reason having several manuals to peruse is a great thing. You can make some informed guesses but you will always want to start very conservatively. And not every rifle is going to get you an accurate load at max....most just the opposite unless yo get lucky. The good news is Game will never know a 150-200FPS difference and out to 400 yards it is so slight a trajectory difference as to be pretty well ignored.

The truth is (in general and in my opinion) all these new waves of premium bonded bullets exist for 3 main reasons. 1) the can sell them and make money (they aint cheap either) 2) All the new ultra super wiz bang magnums...that exist for the same reason...mostly) and 3) People are pushing their handloads so hard as to have poor performance from over-driven bullets. Even here in AL where the average shot is well inside 100 yards and a long shot is 150-250 yards people feel like they need every last bit of velocity and power they can muster. When the deer walks out at 60 yards the bullets fragment and blow up.
Upside... bullet manufactuers have pushed the envelope and designed bullets that can do long range and up close well. The question is do you really need/want that. For many the answer is yes. For many others just backing off 2-3% in charge weight would solve their problems a lot cheaper.

All that said if you wanted a one bullet to do it all the 154gr or 162 Hornady interbond or 160 gr. Nosler partition are surely great places to look. Just adding a few thoughts on the matter to consider. My high end 154gr SST load was 63gr of H4831SC and my favorite load (and more consistent) was 60gr which was probably at least 100-150 below the 3K FPS mark as memory serves. I ran out of bullets as I began to play with H1000 powder though. That weight might be worth playing with some slightly slower bulkier powder. H4831 is great stuff but I'm finding better load density and when you find a sweet spot in charge weight nearly equivalent accuracy in the 162gr. You might try IMR7828 (just the fast side of H1000) it might be even closer to ideal for the 154gr. Most of the Reloader 25 or 22 (I can't remember which it is offhand) loaders I have read noted better accuracy with H4831 even though they got more speed off the AA powder.

I never had any luck with H4350 in my 7 mag...others have but H4350,H4831 (or H4831SC) and H1000 would be my choices to play with. They are all worth having around anyway. Anything slower than H1000 & I doubt you are going to get much above 2800FPS without just blowing unburned powder out the end of a 24" bbl. And it will be pretty dirty as well in the case of 870. If you have to pick one grab H4831 IMHO You may not pass 3K FPS before presure signs but then again you might...odds are the accurate load will be well below that though in any case unless you get lucky.

I think H1000 with the right bullet if 150-154gr range might get you right at 3K with some luck and be very accurate there. It is much like H4350 is in a .270 -It fills the case up and tends to have a sweet spot around 90% + case capacity. But use common sense and work up slowly. Don't let the "need for speed" talk you out of safety or a more acurate load before that point. But you might both if you hunt them carefully. My rifle was very finnicky so your mileage may vary Wink

PS- get the Lee factory crimp die and the deluxe rifle die set with the collet die. I've gotten great life out of my brass using them. You need to seat to 3.290" (or longer if you rifle likes that) when pushing the envelope to help keep presure down and thet means you will not be using the crimp groove. Though the 162gr hornady SP interlock does sit in the right spot at or just above max OAL It's a boat-tail to...a great budget bullet in 7mm! I load it to 68.5gr with H1000 seated 3.290" and get .620" groups at 100 yards at about 2850-ish FPS!