THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    280 factory ammo, chrono'd buddies, LOW..

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 factory ammo, chrono'd buddies, LOW..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Using a 700 Alaskan 24" I believe, clocked a Federal 160 Grain accubond at 2625.......I was shocked, he did not know better, but I'd imagine a factory 7x57 load would easily do that, I was thinking Federal would have had it about 2800 or close to that figure.

Makes a great case to load your own and chrono check.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found Federals specs very accurate in the ammo I have chronographed.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Another rifle may get the speed that Federal advertises.. It is certainly possible that the rifle in question is slow....

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, the .280 has a history of not living up to factory specs. I have seen many articles suggest the bad press surrounding this issue is why the .280 never caught on. That being said, most factory ammo I have ran across a chrony these days does pretty well, so maybe you just got a slow lot.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you give the Hornady BTSP/SST Light Mag factory ammo a try.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I bought any factory ammo but one of the advantages of home rolled ammo is dependable specs. In the good old days, before every kid on the block had a chrony, what was printed on the box was always good for a laugh.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've actually found the same differences in published velocities with 270 ammunitionn from Federal. Shooting 150gr NP vital shok ammo, we chrono'd 2650-2670, when the velocity is listed at 2850. Granted, my 270 is using a 22" barrel, but I seriously doubt I'm losing 100fps for every inch of barrel.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It doesn't surprise me but there are some loads that hit the vel. mark. If you can find any Speer Nitex ammo in 145gr or 160grGS. Vel. is pretty much on in my 23"bbl. 280 & accuracy is as good as I can get from any handload.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
So much for Federal's specs! Roll Eyes

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics/Ammo_Ballistic...l=2800&bulletwgt=160

That is too funny, I never looked, but guessed 2800, and that is their claim, FAR off, but to be fair, I only clocked 1! I notice only 20-40fps in a mid capacity round.....ES.

Slow bbl? Could be, if it were 175fps slow, I'd honestly sell it. I have had 2900-2960 in 21" 7/08's, handloads, 140grainers.

Could be gun, lot, or just sub spec ammo/sub published data, my point of this thread was guys who take say a factory 280 rifle/ammo out say after elk, may hit lower and with less energy downrange than they ever imagined.

I think my 7mm-08 will do better with 160's.

Good thing animals don't use Chonies! If we hit them right, things should work out.....within normal distances anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I've actually found the same differences in published velocities with 270 ammunitionn from Federal. Shooting 150gr NP vital shok ammo, we chrono'd 2650-2670, when the velocity is listed at 2850. Granted, my 270 is using a 22" barrel, but I seriously doubt I'm losing 100fps for every inch of barrel.

Get this the last box of 170grn remington 30-30 I chronographed through my Savage 340 with a 20" barrel.

1. 1863 fps
2. 1879 fps
3. 1828 fps
4. 1838 fps
5. 1888 fps

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Off topic, but how was the Ozark 'fall foliage colors' this year with the drought? Worse than the past 2 years I would suspect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're not suffering a drought at all like the rest of the south. This past month has been a bit dry but other than that we've been getting plenty of rain.

The leaves did so so this year due to a warm November.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote