THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Where do I find discontinued Federal HE ammunition?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do I find discontinued Federal HE ammunition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Once upon a time, I purchased a Remington 700 Ti in 7mm-08 for my nephews. I happened to pick up a box of Federal high energy 140 TBBC's and much to my amazement, the 'kids gun' put 3 shots into the same hole at 100yds. The light weight and great accuracy changed the 'kids gun' into 'my gun'. It has been literally a death ray on whitetails. Now, much to my chagrin, Federal has discontinued the offering (actually a couple of years ago) and I can't seem to come up with anything that shoots nearly as good. Any ideas on where I may find some boxes of the original Federals? Their product number was P708T1. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland,

Many thanks. Unfortunately, AmmoBank and a few other websites still list the ammo, but don't have any. I will keep an eye on the auction sites.

Are you still enjoying your Bolliger? I used to only bring mine out for special occassions, but I am hunting more with it now. Yours is still the best I have seen.

Take care.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its time for you to reload.I cant stand the way factory ammo changes so much.The only factory ammo I shoot any more for hunting is the 338 Win mag 200 gr power point.I started loading Hornady 200 gr bullets for when they replace it.You will save money reloading ,shoot alot more and have more fun.I use 7 mm rem mag brass to make 264 win mag brass.I bought a 1000 140 gr remington core locks for $80 bucks .I can reload a box of 20 for about $4 .That is a hudge savings over $30 for factory.My pet factory Winchester 338 load is now $43 a box.I can reload it for about $6 with my once fired brass.I bought a dillion 550 reloader and after about 30,000 rounds its still going strong.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CWW,

Thank you, I need to shoot my Bolliger more; I would like John to build me a .375 H&H - .416 Rigby on a Oberndorf or Golmatic action, will be my next project. Did you lately shot something with yours?

Just came back from a Brown bear hunt in AK used my Ed Brown .375 H&H, got a nice bear 8.6 beautiful hide will make a nice full mount. Anyway leaving shortly for white tail – E. Texas.

Did you see on the bottom of the auction page you can buy the ammo right away, it looks like the guy has a whole lot of them.

Good luck and great hunting, thumb
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem I have encountered with reloads is that in order to obtain the same accuracy, I have to sacrifice +/- 200 fps. I have been unable to find a load that will safely duplicate the velocity of the factory 'high energy' load. I have read on this forum in the past that the Federal HE's are a compressed load of a powder not publically available. In any event, it seems that the seller on Auction Arms does have a good supply, so I'm buying in bulk.

Roland, mine is a 300 win mag so I have started using it on deer and hogs. I love it, and can't wait until I get another Bolliger.

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Just to check, it looks to me like your part number matches other part numbers current for Federal except for the T1 suffix which appears, in other chamberings, to indicate use of the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet. So I'm not sure what else, other than the High Energy designation has changed? What muzzle velocity was claimed for this ammunition? The Hornady Light Magnum rounds use a special compressed powder, but I wasn't aware the Federal High Energy line did?

It looks to me like Vihtvuori's high energy N550 powder could get you over the 2900 fps mark with the 140 grain Nosler Accubond (I don't have the Speer in my database). Hodgdon's new HV100 hybrid powder due out next year may get you another 100 fps beyond that? We'll have to wait and see?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HE 7mm-08's claimed a muzzle velocity of 2950 with the 140 gr TBBC. Here is a link to an online pdf catalog listing the load:
2001 Federal Catalog

Thanks for the suggestion on the N550. That is one I had not tried.