THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Tell me why you hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me why you hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Just curious… if comparing factory ammo, do any of the European manufacturers load the 6.5 Swede to higher pressures than those in the U.S., maybe Norma?

Yes, Norma does, in fact one of their loads (140gr?) is the same velocity as their 6.5 Creedmore load.

To each his own but I’ve had a 6.5x55 for many years so I never saw the need for the Creedmore. Same bullet/same velocity but I do understand the attraction if your starting out. Right now it’s popular but time will tell if the Creedmore version lasts 100+ years like the Swede has.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted big game with the Swede for many, many years.
Gave it and 100 handloads of 140 gr. Partitions to my nephew for completing putting himself through college. He always liked that rifle.

So, now what? Do I get myself another 6.5 Swede, or something else? I took a look at the CM and the ammo offerings and decided to give it a try.

First 2 seasons I knocked down 4 elk with single shots each of the 143 gr. ELD-X and decided it's a keeper. With the CM I can shoot factory, or I can shoot handloads. My choice.

Happy Camper

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
I think that, for many, it is because this cartridge is the "shiny new object" in the rifle-cartridge universe. It won't do anything that the other four cartridges mentioned won't do. I guess some are enamoured by the "short action" concept, but, to me, that's been tremendously over-sold. Ballistically, it is a near-clone of the 6.5x55 Swede, although the Swede will outperform the Creedmoor by about 50-100 fps with most bullets. For an all-purpose big-game cartridge, the other three mentioned--the .270 Win., .280 Rem., and 6.5x284--greatly outperform the Creedmoor.

I agree!

I do have a Rem 700 Classic and a M70 featherweight in 6.5 X 55, and of course a handful of Swedish service rifles. I don't remember if they are intermediate length actions, or 30-06 length. The 6.5 Swede round is accurate out of my rifles, does not kick hard, feeds and extracts well. Makes for a great hunting round.

The origin of the 6.5 Creedmore was a desire to create a better target round. I remember it being called the 6.5-08 done right. It is a fabulous target round and I won't take anything from it in that regard.

The 6.5 Creedmore was one of those many cartridge that were thrown at a wall, and one of the few that stuck. Cartridges are not introduced for any real consumer benefit, they are introduced to increase Corporate profits. Just open your Cartridges of the World, and examine the hundreds of pages full of cartridges that are infinitesimally different from each, as a class. Each one introduced with a bang, and fireworks, brass band playing. Each one the end of history.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My 6.5 Creedmoor would kill just fine. But, it only saw time in the field once or twice.
The Creedmoor is basically an nearly identical twin to the .260 Remington. My first custom rifle is a 6.5 CM with a Douglas barrel and other goodies. The 6.5 CM attraction wore off pretty soon. But, the custom is still one I'm proud of.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it
Most don't like to think their trusty ol'06 isn't the best and is surpassed by some new upstart
but that the way things work
everything evolves and rifle cartridges are no different
I will take the Creedmoor in the 6.5 and the 22 cal configurations not because they out shine anything I don't have
it's because I can and anything that keeps me behind the trigger and making ammo is key in my world

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
New is better. I won't carry a 30-06 into the field, nor will I take anything that anyone else might have.
6.5 Swede; yawn; old. Reliable, but old.
New, unique, cool, is better.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a Kurz Oberndorf Mauser action that I had Duane Wiebe turn into a beautiful custom rifle. The 6.5 Creedmoor seemed like the best all around short action load for the Kurz action. It is a perfect little whitetail rifle. I use the Barnes 127gr LRX bullet at 2850fps/MV from a 22" barrel.

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good cartridge, as good as some, not as good as others and in no way the king of the 6.5 hill nor is it particularly "new". I believe that a nearly identical cartridge was developed in Australia in the 50's for 'roo shooting. I won't be buying one as I have a Swede in a Husqvarna and a 6.5 X 54 in 1903 M/S.

What I find amusing....and a lot arrogant as well as ignorant...is that many American hunters/shooters think America invented 6.5 caliber. Tell me again when the Swede and 6.5 M/S were introduced?

I hunt with a 6.5 mm cartridge, just not the CM. During our deer season I ordinarily hunt with a different rifle cartridge each morning and night until I tag out. Last year I shot my deer with a 9 X 71 Peterlongo...vastly more unique and cool than the CM.....it's over a century old as well.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
New is better. I won't carry a 30-06 into the field, nor will I take anything that anyone else might have.
6.5 Swede; yawn; old. Reliable, but old.
New, unique, cool, is better.

Well if that is the case then you should hunt with the old Swede as it will be the rarity in the woods with all the people that have jumped on the 6.5 CM bandwagon. Seems like everyone has bought, is buying or having a Creed built. Go to the range and it seems like half the people there are excitedly shooting their new Creed and are busy telling everyone else there what a wonder cartridge it is. And our firearms sale sites up here are filled with guys selling rifles chambered in the CM, because they have scratched that itch and are now on to the next new toy chambered in another new cartridge that they simply must have. Smiler Whatever makes you happy is the name of the game and it's good for the industry.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I bought a 6.5CM because it came in the then new Kimber Hunter series and I wanted to try one ` and was curious about the cartridge itself.

I've been a staunch .270 fan since I bought mine in 1969. A lot of game had hit the ground in it's wake.
Also the .243, 30-06 and even the .358Win have seen a lot of use... but I liked the .270 the best.

After aquiring the CM and using it on targets and game, I had to admit that it has some great attributes.

It has minimal recoil and mild report. Shoots flat enough to work just fine with set and forget scopes for almost any kind of hunting. With a scope for dialing, it's as easy as it gets...

Mine has harvested several elk - all with a single 140gr bullet. It's also taken some very large Blacktail bucks - last years was at 360 yards.

That mild recoil and blast makes it easy to shoot and therefore easy to hit with - and all that makes it easy to kill with.

My Kimber has a SWFA 3X9 MQ scope on deck - and even with that large scope the rig is lighter and more nimble than most setups.

The Creed ia a good common sense cartridge - if your open minded enough to honestly try one, you'll probably be a fan, too.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Blacktail,

I do think the 6.5s in whatever flavor are about the perfect blacktail cartridge for the reasons you stated. The Swede is certainly mine.

Nice buck you have there by the way. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a gun that ticked all the boxes I wanted ticked,only choices were 260, 6.5cm or 308, decided the 6.5 was easier to locate components for. And it wil kill pretty much anything I want to hunt these days, there are places I go, I'll take a bigger cartridge. I quite enjoy that rifle, it performs like I wanted it to.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with the 6.5CM because the plastic stock goes with my yoga pants and crocks that I hunt in.
Plus I can put a 4 pound scope on it to shoot at 800 yards plus; the range I always shoot my deer at!
Old guys in jeans and boots carry around short range guns like 30-06's and crap like that.
Just sayin'.

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but you are way outa style! The latest is a Nahru jacket worn with a big bold medallion on a long chin over a pink Leisure Suit,

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike williams:
I hunt with the 6.5CM because the plastic stock goes with my yoga pants and crocks that I hunt in.
Plus I can put a 4 pound scope on it to shoot at 800 yards plus; the range I always shoot my deer at!
Old guys in jeans and boots carry around short range guns like 30-06's and crap like that.
Just sayin'.

Man you sound silly but what ever it's your hunt

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white eagle:
Sarcasm is lost on some people.
quote:
Originally posted by mike williams:
Just sayin'.

Man you sound silly but what ever it's your hunt

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I decided to go with the 130 years of history and have just purchased a Sauer 101 Classic in 6,55x55SE ...... Did not look at the CM.

Am pretty sure that I will be ok with the Swedish 6,5 Smiler

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktail53:
I bought a 6.5CM because it came in the then new Kimber Hunter series and I wanted to try one ` and was curious about the cartridge itself.

I've been a staunch .270 fan since I bought mine in 1969. A lot of game had hit the ground in it's wake.
Also the .243, 30-06 and even the .358Win have seen a lot of use... but I liked the .270 the best.

After aquiring the CM and using it on targets and game, I had to admit that it has some great attributes.

It has minimal recoil and mild report. Shoots flat enough to work just fine with set and forget scopes for almost any kind of hunting. With a scope for dialing, it's as easy as it gets...

Mine has harvested several elk - all with a single 140gr bullet. It's also taken some very large Blacktail bucks - last years was at 360 yards.

That mild recoil and blast makes it easy to shoot and therefore easy to hit with - and all that makes it easy to kill with.

My Kimber has a SWFA 3X9 MQ scope on deck - and even with that large scope the rig is lighter and more nimble than most setups.

The Creed ia a good common sense cartridge - if your open minded enough to honestly try one, you'll probably be a fan, too.

Great reasons! I'm a 270 Win fan too as well Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have a Christianson Arms Mesa in 6.5 CM, because I like everything 6.5MM. It’s an efficient, accurate little package.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 14 year old grandson, just yesterday, killed a cow moose at 275+ yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with 43.5 grains of 6.5 StaBall and a 127 LR Barnes X. It's a snappy little round and he can shoot it extremely well.

One shot, took a step, went down before he could work the bolt and shoot again. I'm a proponent of "shoot until down" and don't sit there and admire the shot.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Because I am a 6.5 fan and it’s an efficient, short action cartridge that’s exceedingly accurate.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Dupe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Just curious… if comparing factory ammo, do any of the European manufacturers load the 6.5 Swede to higher pressures than those in the U.S., maybe Norma?

European CIP for the 6.5 Swede is around 55,000 psi. SAAMI pressure for the 6.5 CM is around 62,000 psi IIRC.

Norma 6.5x55 143 gr. Bondstrike factory ammo nominally produces 2700+ fps MV.
Hornady 6.5 CM 143 gr. ELD-X factory ammo nominally just under 2700 fps MV. Both calculated with 24" barrels.

What are the pressures involved? Dunno.

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Filled my cow elk permit with this big Roosevelt cow. She went 350# hanging carcass at the butchers. A single 140 gr Sierra spbt from the 6.5CM - that some of you are apparently scared of....

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
And this years Blacktail buck.
330 yards with the same shiny, new, "crock wearing" 6.5CM and a 140 gr Sierra spbt.

I could have done it with a host of other rifles I own... 243, 260, 270, 7-08... but I like this one the best for what I do.