THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Tell me why you hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me why you hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why the 6.5 Creedmore over the .270, .280, 6.5 Swede, 6.5-284 Norma?
Why hunt with it over these?
Thanks!

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
I think that, for many, it is because this cartridge is the "shiny new object" in the rifle-cartridge universe. It won't do anything that the other four cartridges mentioned won't do. I guess some are enamoured by the "short action" concept, but, to me, that's been tremendously over-sold. Ballistically, it is a near-clone of the 6.5x55 Swede, although the Swede will outperform the Creedmoor by about 50-100 fps with most bullets. For an all-purpose big-game cartridge, the other three mentioned--the .270 Win., .280 Rem., and 6.5x284--greatly outperform the Creedmoor.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
We (it's for my youngest) hunt with one because that's what the only available Browning Micro Midas lefty was chambered in at the time she needed a rifle to start hunting. I didn't specifically target the Creedmoor, but we really wanted that rifle for her, a small-framed lefty shooter. So, we have a 6.5 CM. Smiler

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would a good girls rifle. Nothing else, but something new. Yes. I have built about ten of them. It's a good cartridge.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Thanks!

I figure my use of the 6.5 Creed is "in additon to" rather than "over". Not all that different from the 6.5 x 55 SE or the 260 Remington at the distances at which I shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one as much for the rfle itself as the caliber. I wanted to see if they could make a really accurate gun and cartiage to be as accurate as they claim for $400. Yep, they did. I shoot and plink with it and let the granddaughters shoot it. I hunt with a 7x57.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer and other medium game are much more sophisticated than they were 30 years ago. With the advent of broadband most deer now have access to the internet and realize that they can only be killed with the very latest fad in guns, cartridges, and sighting equipment. If a hunter isn't equipped with a metal "chassis" rifle using a lighted reticle and shooting a cartridge which is brand new to the market, then deer are invulnerable to other types of firearms.

Only in Russia and China, where the internet is censored by the government, can game be killed with traditional guns and cartridges.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll keep with the 270.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll keep with the 270.
Never has it happened that I am on stand with my 270 and a buck walks out at 250 yards and I wish I was hunting with a Creedmore.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with the Swede for many years. To get the consistent accuracy I get with OTC CM ammo I would have to handload the Swede.

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one . I liked the rifle. It just happened to be chambered in the Creedmore.

It shoots well, incredibly well. Performance is anemic in hunting situations.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t own one. Lots of good cartridges and I presume it’s just fine. I have several similar guns so really no need to chase the latest fad.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How about, because it is like a 6.5X55 or 6.5X57 of the 1890s and beyond

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Why, my friends does nobody mention the 6.5-06. It'll flat outshoot the Creedmore, (velocity wise) and is easy to load and acquire components for. I built one on a Springfield action, and it is the cat's meow. Yes it has shot a few of those too! Deer, antelope, coyotes, jackrabbits, prairie dogs and whatever else I could find to shoot. Now, I don't have a problem with any cartridge, I like them all. But I get my hackles up when no one mentions this fine cartridge.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Someone already mentioned this, but if you are a factory ammo shooter, the options for this cartridge are seemingly endless. Ammo manufacturers have made this their darling. I actually have a 6.5x47 lapua built into a trim little package, virtually the same as the creedmore. I built it for medium range deer hunting, 350 yds or less. I prefer cartridges that don’t pound my shoulder too much, and honestly, for the stated purpose, you just don’t need a boomer to get the job done.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing

30 cal minimum for me

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been overly impressed with the Creedmore, I like speed that gives flat shooters. When the 6.5 PRC came along with its additional 300 fps I had to try that long narrow bullet. I now have two and am very impressed indeed. Same way with the .270 Win, loaded many for buddies but never owned one. When the WSM version came along with a 130 grain bullet at 3450 fps I jumped and now own four that my pastle of grandsons and greats shoot lights out. Once again speed is my huckleberry. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 CREEDMORE was designed to handle the modern high BC bullets available today ie long and sleek.The longer case neck is a plus.and rifles are chambered and magazined for the longer COL. With a muzzle brake the ability to stay on target and witness impacts is another plus. Myself and my 3 sons all shoot heavy barreled 6.5 Creeds in precision rifle matches, they are crazy accurate, mild recoiling and you can watch you hits. My daughter and son in law hunt with Ruger American 6.5 Creeds and with factory Hornady hunting ammo easily print 3/4 in groups.While it is a great long range target round, it is a moderate range big game hunting round right there with the swede.The only thing it has over the rounds you are comparing it to is it's inherent accuracy and the great selection of factory match and hunting ammo available of the shelf. We reload which makes things even better as it's a very easy round to fine tune to your rifle and crank up the velocity a bit. Big and mean game, get a bigger meaner cartridge.The Swede has killed a lot of game over the years and the 6.5 Creed is the same thing just better designed for todays bullets and COL.
Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Swede has killed a lot of game over the years and the 6.5 Creed is the same thing just better designed for todays bullets and COL.
Scott

Interesting. Just how does the Creedmoor handle today's bullets better than does the Swede? It seems to me that all of today's better bullets can be seated out to the same optimal length in the Swede as they can in the Creedmoor--and leave the muzzle at a slightly higher velocity.

My other question is this: What is it about the Creedmoor's case geometry that somehow makes it inherently more accurate than the Swede? If you took a super-accurate 6.5mm bullet and used the same careful reloading techniques in both the Creedmoor and the Swede, why would you expect better accuracy from the Creedmoor?

Not meaning to be argumentative, just curious and eager to learn.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with South Pender and some of the other posters. I personally would just get a 6.5x55. There is always something new and shiny coming out on the market and lots of shooters buy them to play with.

While there have been advances made in case design over the years, in recent times the majority of the hoopla with new releases in the market revolves around selling rifles and the supplies for them. And that is great, people need new toys, but as I get older I find myself going back to the older cartridges that I have used and which have been around for a long time for a reason.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of 6.5 CM at the range, many set up for LR shooting. At the checking station there seemed to be all calibers with little preference.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bring up a couple good points.With factory U.S. manufactured ammo the Creedmoor has a slight advantage due to having higher SAMMI pressure.With handholds and increasing it's pressures, the Swede has a slight advantage.As far as accuracy with the same premium high BC bullets they are equal.It comes down to the barrel and rifle quality at that point. I only compared the Creedmoor to Swede because I used to have one and they are so close in performance. The Swede has a great history as a hunting round.The Creedmore performs very efficiently considering it has 11 percent less case volume than the Swede and does it in a short action. I recently switched to the .280AI for my primary hunting rifle.
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
quote:
The Swede has killed a lot of game over the years and the 6.5 Creed is the same thing just better designed for todays bullets and COL.
Scott

Interesting. Just how does the Creedmoor handle today's bullets better than does the Swede? It seems to me that all of today's better bullets can be seated out to the same optimal length in the Swede as they can in the Creedmoor--and leave the muzzle at a slightly higher velocity.

My other question is this: What is it about the Creedmoor's case geometry that somehow makes it inherently more accurate than the Swede? If you took a super-accurate 6.5mm bullet and used the same careful reloading techniques in both the Creedmoor and the Swede, why would you expect better accuracy from the Creedmoor?

Not meaning to be argumentative, just curious and eager to learn.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Thanks!

I wouldn't.

I would use the 270.

Hunted hundreds of animals with it, up to eland.

Never had a single problem.

Having said that, As far as hunting is concerned, the larger the case the better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I won't be buying one because buying firearms in South Africa is a complicated affair.
That said, we have traditional "ambush" springbuck hunts here that are essentially culling affairs with multiple animals shot.
A 6.5 Creedmore with a 22" barrel and suppressor, shooting a 120 gr bullet at about 2800 fps would be just about perfect for the job.
Not something we do much of nowadays, but a generation ago a rancher would shoot a hundred antelope a year like this. (Daytime, not spotlighting.)

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
My kids and I have taken 50+ head of game with the 6.5CM. Just like any other cartridge, it works as long as you place the shot where it needs to be. Mild recoil helps facilitate a lot of practice rounds fired, which in turn helps facilitate proper shot placement in the field. It's also a bonus that accurate over the counter rifles and ammo are readily available for the Creedmoor.

I did find all the bashing laughable. Now I simply find it to be a waste of time. It works, it's not going anywhere any time soon.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you aren't a hand loader creedmoor, if you are 6.5x55, no contest. None!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a 6.5 Creedmoor for a friend. He has a 220 Swift and a 300 Weatherby. 6.5 is half way between 224 and 308, Creedmoor ammo and brass is (was) very available. A Creedmoor, 260 REM, X55 in the field are pretty much the same.
I am a 6.5X47 Lapua fan. Nobody asks to borrow ammunition.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to have to hunt with a low recoil rifle this fall. So I am most likely going to end up hunting with a 6.5.

I built it on my safari blaser chassis and with a blaser match barrel, a silcencero omega 300 suppressor and S&B scope it weights in at 13 pounds.

It had minimal recoil and shot .30 inch with federal fusion 140 grain ammo.

I am going to build an identical same gun in 308 with same scope snd suppressor and see if there is any difference in recoil.

Looks like 2022 will be the year of the 6.5 cm for me. Hopefully will take it to Kansas if I draw.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, it would a good girls rifle. Nothing else, but something new. Yes. I have built about ten of them. It's a good cartridge.

I bought a Weatherby Camilla for my daughter in 6.5 Creedmore because they didn’t make one in 7mm-08. It is a good killer with virtually no recoil. I hunt with a 30-06.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Creedmore is a PR phenomenon...and its working because here we are talking about it.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't have one. I'm still happy with a 7X57 + 6.5X54 M/S but I am all for new cartridge innovations, if for no other reason than it keeps the industry alive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and enjoy it, that's all the justification I need for it or any other firearm I own.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Since wildcatters have long necked up or down just about every factory produced cartridge case, wouldn't it be great to neck down a 6.5 Creedmore to .224"?

Oh wait, that would be a .22-250 Improved. Big Grin

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We here in Scandinavia hunted with one for 130 years.. welcome after Smiler Smiler

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing... as the 6,5x47 Lapua was the superior cartridge. But Hornady spent ALOT on marketing.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
We here in Scandinavia hunted with one for 130 years.. welcome after Smiler Smiler
Right, the 6.5x55--slightly better than the CM.

quote:
Marketing, Marketing, Marketing... as the 6,5x47 Lapua was the superior cartridge. But Hornady spent ALOT on marketing.

In what way is the 6.5x47 a superior cartridge to the 6.5 Creedmoor? Certainly not velocity-wise.

- Bertrand Russell

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because Ive had a 250-3000 for 70 or so years.

I shot the 6.5/06 std and Imp., 264 and several other modern 6.5s and preferred the 7x57, or .270 and last but not least the 30-06 won all the blue ribbons.

Modern rounds keep popping up and that's OK, but over the years they have mostly lost their luster or failed in the marketplace about the same time as the high dollar add campaign started failing, ammo and components disapeared and they got shelved..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I don't but know alot of people that do. Lot's of ammo out there for them. I reload and just like "odd" things, so I opted for a T3X hunter in 6.5x55. Great shooter.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I don't because there are so many better cartridges for hunting. The performance of the creed is nothing special.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, I have a 260 rem. 'about 20 years now' I wouldn't sell it for a 6.5 creed But I will take my 7MM-08 to the woods for deer hunting over a 270 , 280

Posts: 1132 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious… if comparing factory ammo, do any of the European manufacturers load the 6.5 Swede to higher pressures than those in the U.S., maybe Norma?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote