THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Any word from Lipsey’s on 2020 exclusives?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any word from Lipsey’s on 2020 exclusives?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, the shot show is over and I’m curious about Lipsey’s 2020 Ruger exclusives. Number ones, single actions, Hawkeye African etc. Shot show is over and there is usually a video on YouTube with products from the Lipsey’s booth, but nothing yet. I guess a few days needed for editing, perhaps? I fear that slow sales may be killing incentive to do exclusives, especially the non-black guns I’m into.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone in the AR group but thread posted they had knowledge the 35 Whelen African would be this year Lipsey special.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Someone in the AR group but thread posted they had knowledge the 35 Whelen African would be this year Lipsey special.

I am the one that said that. A local dealer told me the he heard from Lipsey’s that it will be the Whelen. However, until an official announcement it put out, I’m not counting on that as 100% certain!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, ColoradoMatt. Sorry, I burned you as your own source.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Hello, ColoradoMatt. Sorry, I burned you as your own source.

Don’t know what you mean by “burned”, but no need to apologize, whatever the case. Looks like lots of folks are hoping for the Afican/Whelen and I hope Lipsey’s makes it happen for them. The Lipsey’s African in 9.3x62 was everything I could have asked for in a Hawkeye. It took me the entire year to come up with the dough to get one (I got a bonus for referring a new hire at my job). I would have loved to have gotten a 275 Rigby version, but they sold out so fast, and now the second hand prices are through the roof. Since the 6.5x55 version is every bit equal to the 275/7x57 version, and it’s available at a reasonable price, I should just save up to get one and be content. As far as classic caliber big game two rifle batteries go, a 6.5/7mm Mauser paired with 9.3x62 is pretty awesoime. I’m so impressed with these Ruger Africans that I may sell my shooter grade Oberndorf Type A in 9.3x62 (that I payed way too much for.).

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider myself lucky to have been able to pick up one of the African 275 Rigby rifles. You are right that the 6.5x55 is comparable & the last time I looked Lipseys still had several in stock.

Of the ~250 275's produced about 1/2 of them were sold within 3 days after release, then I was told that Cabelas stepped up & bought the balance.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what the Ruger #1's will be for 2020, also any new left hand items?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I have a 6.5x55 at the shop, just an fyi

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Matt,

I have a 6.5x55 at the shop, just an fyi

If it’s the one Cabela’s and it’s been there for several months, I have fondled it and whispered sweet nothings. Kids in college puts the breaks on spending money.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, a lot of speculation on the next Ruger African caliber from Lipseys. I was pretty pumped when the 35 Whelen was mentioned. No real news yet however.

So, I decided to go to the horse's mouth and simply ask Lipseys!

They said it will be the 280 AI.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Well, a lot of speculation on the next Ruger African caliber from Lipseys. I was pretty pumped when the 35 Whelen was mentioned. No real news yet however.

You've got to be joking???

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
quote:

You've got to be joking???

Maybe they said AI but meant the 7x64 Brenneke - which might be pretty cool...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was from Jason Cloessner at Lipsey's, Vice Pres. & Product Development mangr.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Man...that’s surprising...maybe a sheep rifle...but African?? Are people standing in line for that??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're not joking!! I'll still buy it however, the 280 AI wouldn't have been my first choice. I would have preferred the 35 whelen.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still holding out for a 300 h&h

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hear what market research led them to chamber the 280 AI? While the 275 Rigby Hawkeye African sold amazingly well, the last two didn’t sell nearly as well. This decision makes me think that either (1) an influential person(s) at Lipsey’s wanted to see their pet round chambered in the African, or (2) they want to quit having these rifles built, and making a sales dud run will help justify the discontinuance. The 280Ai is a great round, but certainly not one prospective Hawkeye African buyers have been clamoring for. Horsefeathers!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal choice would have been the 35 Whelen, and a 30-06 is as old as Teddy Roosevelt's 1909-1910 safari. I would have loved to see a 338-06 as well, but it has no African history. And to be fair, the 35 Whelen doesn't have African history either (I've taken it twice. Does that count?!), but neither does the 280AI.

Thinking of African History, I think the 318 Westley Richards or the 350 Rigby ooze with safari charm, but the trouble is ammo from a marketing standpoint. However, Hornady came to the front when Lipseys first made the 275 Rigby, making the 140 gr. properly head stamped ammo, so I was hoping a 'deal' could be made with Hornady again for one of these old safari calibers.

The Whelen has a fair share of factory ammo these days, and Nosler makes (6) different loads for the 338-06. The 30-06 is a no-brainer for factory support, and is certainly an 'old' safari caliber.

I'll still buy one of these rifles in 280AI.

Well, there's always next year. Hopefully...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason from Lipseys just emailed me.

He said the 35 Whelen and the 30-06 are on his list! Smiler

He also said the 9.3x62 & 35 Whelen were so close in caliber, he wanted to 'to spread them out' a little.

Next year?!?!

Only the 'Shadow knows'. Perhaps I'm showing my age on that comment...

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Lipsey's does lots of exclusive not just Hawkeye African.

They can do a 280AI and specify what every they want and call it a Hawkeye Hunter or Hawkeye Alasakn or African based on what it is closest to.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked Lipsey's website and the 280 AI is on there.
MSRP of $1279. I would expect street prices to be about $1000 or so. Will probably buy one off of gunbroker. Never used gunbroker before, will see how that goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,

I spoke to Phil Massaro, a writer for some gun magazines, awhile back and he is trying to get Hornady to make 318 WR ammo. Wait and see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
My personal choice would have been the 35 Whelen, and a 30-06 is as old as Teddy Roosevelt's 1909-1910 safari. I would have loved to see a 338-06 as well, but it has no African history. And to be fair, the 35 Whelen doesn't have African history either (I've taken it twice. Does that count?!), but neither does the 280AI.

Thinking of African History, I think the 318 Westley Richards or the 350 Rigby ooze with safari charm, but the trouble is ammo from a marketing standpoint. However, Hornady came to the front when Lipseys first made the 275 Rigby, making the 140 gr. properly head stamped ammo, so I was hoping a 'deal' could be made with Hornady again for one of these old safari calibers.

The Whelen has a fair share of factory ammo these days, and Nosler makes (6) different loads for the 338-06. The 30-06 is a no-brainer for factory support, and is certainly an 'old' safari caliber.

I always thought Hornday making the 275 was due to Rigby getting back into shape?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just checked Lipsey's website and the 280 AI is on there.
MSRP of $1279. I would expect street prices to be about $1000 or so. Will probably buy one off of gunbroker. Never used gunbroker before, will see how that goes.

Man, I was so hoping that Jason Clausner was pulling Surefire7’s leg! Roll Eyes

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surefire,

I spoke to Phil Massaro, a writer for some gun magazines, awhile back and he is trying to get Hornady to make 318 WR ammo. Wait and see.

cj, That is a very interesting possible development. The 318WR case is very close to a 30-06. Hmmmm...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

I always thought Hornday making the 275 was due to Rigby getting back into shape?

BaxterB,

That could be.

I was thinking since the Rigby 275 'IS' the 7x57, and they already make that ammo, it was simply a matter of a different head-stamp. Dunno.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surefire,

I made the same request at Dallas Safari Club.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Must have been a committee... Take the average intelligence and divide it by the number of people in the room.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the real 275 rigby is not the 7x57.
in ballistics and case length they are pretty much the same.
but the Rigby differs up there in the neck and shoulder area.
it differs like it is closer to the 0-6 than the X57.
I need some more 275 Rigby cases and was hoping they would run it again.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
quote:
the real 275 rigby is not the 7x57.

Please explain ?

I’m really looking forward to hear this one! popcorn

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surefire,

YES, PLEASE!!

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
quote:
Surefire,

YES, PLEASE!!

I sent Phil a message on Facebook and he told me that he hasn't had any luck yet.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The best thing about the 280 AI is that it should feed a 400 Whelen once you sell the barrel.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I’m done pouting, I’m trying to find the logical reasoning and upsides to chambering the 280AI in the Lipsey’s Ruger African platform. A truly fast/flat magnum type round had yet to be chambered, and the 280AI gives us that while keeping four rounds down and a reasonable amount of metal left around the bore of the “A” weight barrel. The 280 AI holds 1/2 to 1 grain less powder than the 7mm SAUM, which is to say that there is really no difference in performance, and no practical difference from the belted Rem mag either. The same parity exists between the 300 H&H and the 300 WSM. Since the classic 3.6” long 300 H&H is a no go, and the 300 Win mag is available in the standard African, the 280Ai seems like a logical compromise, especially considering the thin barrel (assuming we’ll get the “A” weight barrel). The 280AI may not be synonymous with African hunting, but at least we didn’t get another boring 270 barf!!!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Now that I’m done pouting, I’m trying to find the logical reasoning and upsides to chambering the 280AI in the Lipsey’s Ruger African platform. A truly fast/flat magnum type round had yet to be chambered, and the 280AI gives us that while keeping four rounds down and a reasonable amount of metal left around the bore of the “A” weight barrel. The 280 AI holds 1/2 to 1 grain less powder than the 7mm SAUM, which is to say that there is really no difference in performance, and no practical difference from the belted Rem mag either. The same parity exists between the 300 H&H and the 300 WSM. Since the classic 3.6” long 300 H&H is a no go, and the 300 Win mag is available in the standard African, the 280Ai seems like a logical compromise, especially considering the thin barrel (assuming we’ll get the “A” weight barrel). The 280AI may not be synonymous with African hunting, but at least we didn’t get another boring 270 barf!!!

I just don’t see who, in the blued/wood/ebony forend/open sights(!) world, is pining for an AI? It’s fairly a nostalgia rifle...

But what do I know...

one of us
posted Hide Post
et oh Alf missed his bowl movement today! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
.280 ai was an interesting choice for Ruger/Lipsey's

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
In a couple of years when about 225 of 250 are still unsold and available I’ll buy one at a bargain basement price and have it rebored to 375 Howell.

A boring .270 would’ve sold better in this platform.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
I think it is because Ruger had a shiny new .280 AI reamer with only 150 barrels chambered on it. A Ruger No 1 dealer had a 150 rifles made up with a 25" "A" weight barrel and some of the nicest wood on a Ruger since the late 1960's.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote