New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth 375 bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. I have a Whitworth Express in 375 that I would like to equip with nice looking bases and rings for a Zeiss 1.5-6x42 T that I have. Or set it up with a Leupold 3x. Quick release would be preferred. Thing is, I want bases that look good even with the scope off. Anything you have tried and made to work? Thank you. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The only really nice stuff I've seen unfortunately costs more than a Whitworth 375. That said, you can have one of our posters like Jim Kobe modify an off the shelf set so that it has some degree of a nice custom look. I bought a rifle of his with his "from scratch" bases and they look much nicer than standard Talleys. Same concept, but I think they were CZ spec dovetails.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best looking non-custom option, to me, is the Leupold QR system.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If I pick one it would be off the shelf S&K SKulptured bases and one-piece rings.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, Wow, those are nice looking. If I need a set for a fixed scope I will go that route. I am looking for a QR system now. Thank you. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Send it off to Jim Kobe, you won't regret it. He just did bases on my 270 and they are nice. Won't break the bank either.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option that's quite good looking is to hunt down a set of the old Kimber of Oregon bases and QD levered rings. Both are still relatively easy to come by as I just saw a set of two piece bases that would fit your Whitworth (they may still be listed) and the rings seem to come up on eBay several times a year. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting mixed answers as to what the Whitworth is based off of. Some sites just call it a Mauser 98 large ring and others call it a FN pattern Mauser. What is the difference? Leupold only makes the QR bases for the FN Mauser. I am not really sure what to order for?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
To my understanding, it is a copy of the FN Supreme action, which is a large-ring Mauser 98 action. I have used Talley QD mounts on mine.

Here is a previous discussion:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/3761055111

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Interterms MK10, Mauser, Marked Whitworth, is nothing but a commercial Mauser 98, from which the commercial FNs were made. It has no clip guides, but otherwise, use any base you would use for a large ring Mauser. Or fn.The rear base holes are drilled forward of what a military 98 can be as there is no clip slot, so they put a hole there, but the hole spacing is the same.
So, it all depends on how much money you want to spend.
Oh, Mauser and FN, no difference.
I have a new Whitworth 375 action in front of me as I write this.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote