Find
Notify
Tools

250gr. TSX 9,3mm on pigs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Again they worked perfect but again I have the feeling that they are too tough for pigs, if you don't hit bone they will run away enough to make you sweat !!!! I only recovered one of three bullets.

I also missed a young piglet and my buddy a very good boar CRYBABY

I bagged a young male and a nice sow.

Sorry for the bad quality pictures !! I am using my cell phone.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Allright - this one didn't shed huh?

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
What I say is that sometimes if these bullets don't hit bone they will pass through with very little exit holes on smaller/medium game Frowner

The most valuable atribute (for me) about these bullets is making what I think americans call "texas shots" or any kind of angled shots. This gives the hunter a big confidence in taking difficult shots. These bullets will just travel all along the animal. Big Grin

Despite the bullet one decide to use I must say that the more I use the 9,3x62 the more surprised I am with its versatility, low recoil, killing power, etc, etc ,etc

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried the 250 grs TSX in my new Blaser for the first time today. 62 grs of RL15 gave me a (3 shot) group of .45" @ 100m. My heart was singing when I saw that Cool. (Ok, ok, I know this was only the first group, but hey, a man has the right to rejoice, yes?).

I can't wait to try these babies on some piggies... It is good you keep us exited with your pictures Lorenzo, first bovines now Sus Scrofa. Keep'em coming!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo:

Thanks for the post. I have wondered about loading the 250-grain TSX's for elk in my daughter's 9.3x62. We tried the 250-grain Nosler ballistic tip, and it is fine for deer-sized game, but based on our experience, too thin-jacketed to be used reliably on elk. The ballistic tips are fine on lung shots behind the shoulder on elk, but do not hold together well enough for reliable penetration into the body cavity of an elk after hitting the shoulder bone.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that sow had a nice little gut shot hole in her. I imagine that was a fun guttin job. Wink

This aint the proper forum for this remark, but I sure can't wait to sick my 9.3X74R chapuis on some o' them little piggies. Also look forward to putting 500 grains of both 470 nitro and 458 Lott into Wilbur... you just made me more impatient. rotflmo

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
found the woodleigh 250gr rnsp and pp better preformers in my 9.3x62, those tsx are too hard for pigs.

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cc:
found the woodleigh 250gr rnsp and pp better preformers in my 9.3x62, those tsx are too hard for pigs.

You are correct. Such a bullet would work better with a .338WM, .330, or perhaps a .340 Weatherby.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with the 286 gr. Nosler partition at 2520 FPS in my 26" barrel Mauser. I sold it recently so will make another..It was an elk and deer killer deluxe. I had good luck with it on African plainsgame and liked the 320 gr. Woodleigh for buffalo but you need the 26" tube and drive the bullet at least 2400 FPS on buffalo..I built one for a lady client and she killed a number of buffalo with that load.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray-

Out of a 26 inch barrel on a 62mm, what kind of velocity do you get on the 286 grained bullets? I assume with a barrel like that, you could shoot the lighter bullets flat enough to use it on pretty much any type of PG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, I see that you mentioned that in the post. My apologies. killpc