THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    AccuBond, or AccuBonds in 'medium-heavy' calibers?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AccuBond, or AccuBonds in 'medium-heavy' calibers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can see an AccuBond bullet in something like a 7x57 but, in mid-bore magnums, it seems like these are too lightly constructed to be viable.

I can get 9.3x62 Mauser 250 Grain AccuBonds but, I question its effectiveness on light game like deer and definitely on heavier game animals like Moose or Elk. I'm thinking of deer for example, you would get an 'ice pick' pass through or it would possibly explode on a shoulder. On something like a moose, would it 'splash' on a shoulder and lack good penetration? Would for example, an AccuBond work well on an adult Feral hog?

What am I missing with AccuBonds in heavier medium bore calibers? Are they effective game loads? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot length wise turning the insides of a small deer into pre set up jelly with my 35 Whelen and 225 grain Accubond and totally destroyed a cow elk with a heart shot.

The elk bullet was sticking out like a tumor on the offside.

The little deer just flopped with no bullet recovery.

I would have no issues with 260 grain 375 Accubond on deer. I use the 270 grain Spirepoint on deer, boar, and elk. I think the 260 Accubond is firmer than the 270 grain Spirepoint Interlock.

A lot of elk has been killed with a 338 WM and 225-250 Accubond.

More than likely, I will use my 35 Whelen with 225 Accubonds for Nilgi in June.

I have ran Accubonds in my 7mm STW on Mouflon maybe 80 pounds, 200 pound Fallow through and out both shoulder blades and spine, to a 440 pound gutted Red Stag through the top of the heart that is a lot of velocity to destroy a bullet. Only caught one. The raking shot through the pelvis of the stag as he turned on his hind legs stumbling from have his heart destroyed from the first. He could not put weight on his forelegs.

All exit wounds have been large and graphic.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
375 300gr AB on ~700 kg Bull Moose ~2300 fps impact 2nd hit spined it broadside piled up DRT as it bolted. Shattered pretty bad for a bonded core 70% weight retention shallow penetration. Done experimenting with these loading 270gr TSX or SAF from now on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that bullet from the spine shot? 70 percent and spine sounds pretty good.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took an Alaskan Moose with a 300 WM and 200gr Accubonds.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 180gr and 200gr accubonds in my 338-06ai for deer, elk, black bear,feral hogs, Red deer, coyote, fox and bobcat. I have never had an accubond pencil thru, splash or blow up on any animal. I have only ever recovered one bullet and that was from a 6pt bull elk that I shot at a little over 200yds. The bull took 3 steps and piled up, bullet was just under the hide on the off side.

I like accubonds, they work for me.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Recovered 375 300gr AB from spine hit. For comparison 458 500gr IL similar shot on big Moose 1800 fps impact shoots clear thru more decisive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had problems with Accubonds. Have taken antelope, pigs, mule deer, blacktail deer, sitka blacktails using 270, 30-06, and 340 weatherby.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of course we all know, 1 in a row is a significant sample size.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite bullet for elk and PG has been the 225 gr. Accubond in my .338; and the 200 gr. Accubond in my 30-06. Ive used both extensively over the last number of years from its birth when ever that was...

I have only used the 250 gr. Accubond in my 9.3x62 on one bull and two cow elk and several Mule deer and I have no doubt it will do the job everytime...I sure you can feel as good about the accubond as one would the partitions..Its a grand bullet..I have witnessed its use on a couple of Bison with outstanding results..You will like it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken 7 whitetails with the 250 gr. Accubond from a Ruger #1 in 9.3x62. The bullets seem to open fine without excessive meat damage. All were one-shot kills. In Arica I used the Barnes 250 gr. TTSX from the same rifle and took sable, eland, zebra, honey badger, and civet. All were one-shot kills except the eland. The first shot was going to be fatal but he was headed toward a canyon with lots of thick brush so I kept shooting (3 shots total) until he was down. I also shot a pronghorn with the 286 gr. Partition. It made a clean kill without excessive meat damage. I would have not problem taking the 250 gr Accubond after game, but would prefer the 250 or 286 gr. Barnes or 286 gr. Partition for larger critters. I would probably place the switch away from the Accubond (somewhat arbitrarily) at about 500 pounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Recovered 375 300gr AB from spine hit. For comparison 458 500gr IL similar shot on big Moose 1800 fps impact shoots clear thru more decisive.

I would not be upset with a bullet that retained 70 percent and looked like that after striking and breaking the spine as big as an moose.

Each has our own desires.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have shot mostly european boar and one roe deer with 9.3x62. worked well on boar, and destroyed most of meat on roe due to angle of shot, in shoulder -out ham.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
375 300gr AB worked but might not do had it been a big Bear. Need better performance than that.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
As I understand, the Accubond is the same level of "toughness" as the Partition. Perhaps others can comment.
Not the strongest bullet but about the best compromise around for medium-sized animals.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the Accubond and normal Partitions are designed to retain 70 percent weight. The heavy/large bore partitions are designed with the partition moved forward to ensure more weight if the front core is lost.

I think 416 sixteens 400 Accubond pictured above looks perfect after shattering s Moses spine, and would have broke a Bear’s spine just like it did his moose with the same result DRT.

However, I have only killed game up to 600 pounds, so everyone has to work out their own salvation in fear in trembling.

I have pushed them as hard and fast as you can through heavy bone and they did not blow up 600 pound Red Stag. He weighed on the scale 440 gutted.

I used the same bullet on deer up to 200 pounds and Mouflon all dead so hard they bounced hitting the ground. Massive exits. All through the shoulder blades. I used a 140 grain 277 caliber that exited with gushing exit wound on a scaled 210 Fallow. I blew an exit with that load in a 2 1/2 year old bunch big enough to put mu feet into. The Euro hunts have pictures in the Euro Forum.

I have used the 35 Whelen at 225 to kill a 300ish pound cow elk and 80 pound yearling whitetail. Both died in seconds, in sight. The cow elk made big holes on both sides. I could get both my fists in the offside exit of the muscle skeletal structure. The bullet was against the hide. The little deer exited with two fists exit. The pictures are in the American forum under my elk hunt.

I am going to use the 35 Whelen and 225 AB in June on my nilgi unless my STA is done and tuned by then.

If anyone needs photographic evidence, PM me.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Compare 416 300gr TSX 100% weight retention good penetration recovered from big Bull Moose hit heavy bone ~2500 fps impact. Not seeing lead splatter advantage??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said everyone must work at their own salvation. Except for large calibers on 1200 plus pound game, I just can’t get into monos.

The Accubond is designed to expand and retain plus it minus 70 percent. Yours did that, broke a Mosse spine, and gave drt. If you need more use a mono or a Swift.

I do not expect more than what you got, nor what the Accubond has given me on the class of game the OP asked. Large exits, lots of blood, dead in seconds from 80 pound deer to 600 pound bulls. At the fastest velocities 3207 and the normal 2700.

In all honesty, if I were going after a 1500-2000 pound animal would I expect a Swift or Mono, Weldcore to do better than your picture. No, you have 70 percent weight retention, a broke spine, and dead right there.

Would I use a Mono, Weldcore, Swift 375-40 plus caliber on 1200-2000 pound animal? Yes as to way not bigger game equals tougher bullet, and Yes, but for bad angle follow up shots. Most likely I would use a solid.

The OP asked about light to medium game. I have hit major bone and have massive exit wound photos with Accubonds on 80-700 pound game. I will use nothing else for that class of game.

In the STA bc they do not make a 270 grain Accubond, I am going with the Weldcore. But no deer or elk needs the 270 grain Weldcore. If Nosler would make a 270 grain Accubond, I would use that on elk size and down.

You are more likely to get the pencil through no blood effect with the monos on deer than anything else.

If your Accubond had retained 50 percent and not broke the spine, I would agree with you. The bullet did exactly what Nosler advertises it would do. If anyone needs more on 2000 pound animal by all means use a harder design.

I just do not agree the bullet failed. It did what the catalog says.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have shot dozens of plains game with 250gr AB in 338WM at 2600fps, also use it in 270 and 308.
Good expansion and deep penetration, in my books one of the best balanced bullet designs out there.
With decent shot placement everything just flops over.
But then I don't kneel at the altar of the 100% weight retention or else it is bullet 'failure' religion....

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot enough stuff with the accubond to have a legitimate opinion (not that that will stop me...) but the partition works fine...

However, the accubond long range is NOT the same bullet. IMO, its no better than a cup and core, but costs way more. Every one I have shot acted like a berger/varmint bullet and disintegrated inside the animal.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 9.3mm 250gr Nosler AB in my 9.3X64 quite a lot. Great bullet for pretty much anything. Only exception was my Damara Dik Dik that I blew the holy hell out of with it. Otherwise, from whitetails here to kudu and oryx in Namibia, it has done exactly what it was supposed to. I've probably taken 20-25 head of game with it, mostly whitetails.

My load pushes that bullet at 2775fps.

I have only ever recovered one bullet. It was in my kudu and weighed 210 grains. It passed through about 30" of kudu before stopping under the skin on the off side shoulder. Moderate quartering away shot.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of good info from a lot of folks here.

I've never used the Accubond. Used the Partition for years with no complaints.

From those here with experience with both bullets, do you feel the Accubond does anything that the Partition cannot, and vice versa, or are they about equal?

I understand their differences in construction. I am curious about their differences on game. Perhaps the OP is also?

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I haven't shot enough stuff with the accubond to have a legitimate opinion (not that that will stop me...) but the partition works fine...

However, the accubond long range is NOT the same bullet. IMO, its no better than a cup and core, but costs way more. Every one I have shot acted like a berger/varmint bullet and disintegrated inside the animal.

I agree with the Accubond Long Range. Most folks I have read have not been impressed with it. The jacket is too thin. I think there is something to the lead core profile/shape as well.

I simply do not want, nor desire, nor need 100 percent weight retention most of the time.

Like, I have said I have only caught 2 Accubonds. One through the pelvis of a diying and stumbling Red Stag Bull. One poking through the hide of a a cow elk plastered at 75 yards. All wounding was deep and graphic.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
As I understand, the AB is as tough as the Partition and more accurate. In theory anyway.
This means that if you have a new rifle and need a new load, you are better off starting with the AB than the Partition, all things being equal.
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
A lot of good info from a lot of folks here.

I've never used the Accubond. Used the Partition for years with no complaints.

From those here with experience with both bullets, do you feel the Accubond does anything that the Partition cannot, and vice versa, or are they about equal?

I understand their differences in construction. I am curious about their differences on game. Perhaps the OP is also?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your spine recovery tells it all, A spine shot on larger animals is the toughest test any bullet can handle, and your Accubond performed beyond comprehension, few bullets come out looking that good short of an accident..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surefire 7,
Pretty darn close, Ive used both on a lot of big game with the same results..I might add that on rare ocassions the Partition will blow off the front end, and some condem that, but then turn around and praise that Eruopean bullet that's designed to blow the front end off, well homer you can't have it both ways..

When a partition does that it probably kills quicker as a matter of fact..and the base exits about every time...Both good bullets, the very best in my opinnion..The new partitions seldon sperate like the old ones did and the Accubond like most bonded cores seldom if ever seperate, Ive never had an Accubond seperate..I read of the accubonds being too soft, to that I say BS and Horse hockey..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Accubond 225 grain 35 Whelen at 2700 FPS at muzzle recovered from the heart shot cow on off hide at 75 yards

https://i.postimg.cc/b898QtWp/...-F2-A693-D1.jpg?dl=1

https://i.postimg.cc/VkxyDmQH/...8-FDF8-E9-C103-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/d0rbfpJQ/...CB-CFCA8-C715124.jpg

The exit wound

Click links or photo for better viewing.

I do not know why some are links and done are photos. They all show as links on my end.