Tools

358 STA almost
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Stock from McMillian shipped today

McWoody with 14 lop.

Last piece to the puzzle.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see her when she's done!

I have a McWoody stock on a rifle I bought here on AR in 9.3x62. Love the stock (and the rifle)!

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty has borrowed my .358 STA dies to make feed dummies and chamber-checking, test-fire ammo for your rifle.
Get that stock to him so he can finish your rifle, please. Wink

I will be visiting the
"Hilltop Gun Shop and Spa for Wayward Rifles"
also, since I too have a rifle there, in pieces.
Mine is a re-hab job for parts accumulated over the last 17 years.
Make that 21 years if a 1999 vintage McMillan stock of mine is re-purposed for this project.
Parts is parts.

But you are getting a 2020 vintage McMillan put on an MRC 1999 action, eh ?
McMillan makes good stocks.
tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent him some dummy rounds as well. UPS tells me he should have the stock Saturday, so I expect he will have it the folks Wednesday.

I have 275 PP Woodlieghs and 280 grain Swift Aframes loaded and waiting.

Yes sir. The action is M1999 Montana Stainless Steel opened up by Rusty. The barrel is a Shlien No. 4 Stainless cut for 26 inches.

The front sight is a NECG’s banded with green fiber optic bead. The rear sight looks like a single standing v-express sight. However, it is really an aperture protected by two shoulders or wings.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Impressive 250gr 2800~2900 fps mv from 26" barrel. Sizeable case capacity 358 STA necked down 416 RM.

https://load-data.nosler.com/l...g-times-alaskan-sta/

My 24" barrel 350 Rem Mag LA reamed further to 358 STA probably 2850 fps mv. Maybe diminishing returns 35% more powder for 100 fps mv increase?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had and have seen others all do over 3000f/s with 250 grainers. Nothing really suprising abot that given a bit bigger cas capacity than the 340 Wby and bigger bore diameter.

In fact was sparked off the 358 STA in Australia was a mate of mine had a 340 Wby and it used to drive him mad that there was no 3000 f/s with 250 grain bullets and he just had top have 250 grainers doing at least 3001 f/s Big Grin

The ones in Australia were all done with .357 barrels and 1 in 14 twist.

On a switch barrel bench gun I tried the 338, 375 and 358 together. All barrals same profile and same maker. Theaccuracy with each calibres best load was much the same, n real difference between them. However, when takes across a wide range of laods of different powders and bullets the 358 was the best. Generally just easier to get accuracy. I think the 1 in 14 twist was the key but the .357 barrel was a contibutor. Since the barrel make did barrels in 356, 357 and 358 he recommended the .357. This was on the basis of him experimentin with .3065 barrels in some different 30 calibre cartridges.

Although accuracy was great with necked 375 brass you could not nearly fit a full load. Ended up using necked a 340 Wby brass. Siuoer simple neck up and loads in new 340 brass shot to same point as FLS fired cases.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using a 1:12 twist at .358

I just shot the best maybe second best group of my life with my 35 Whelen. I did use a formal rest. 4 shots smaller than a quarter at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 in 12 in 358 is the equivalent of 1 in 11.3 in 338 and 1 in 12.6 in 375

It would be better if twist rate was shown lie it is for the naval guns and similar and that is in calibres. For example a 1 in 10 twist in 243 is the same as a 1 in 20 twist in 486.

If this seems strange just think of a 16 inch naval gun with a 1 in 10 inch twist. Looing down the barrel would like looking through a nut Smiler

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 1:12" on both .35 Whelen and .358 STA. tu2
I like 1:14" on .458 WinM.
patriot
.458 Winchester Magnum Perfection
In maxima potentia parvum spatium.
Id venit et vicit omnis.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had bought the only 358 sta I ever had in my hands .It was a factory made one of 18 Winchester model 70 super grade .It has to be worth some money now .I had 416 rem mags and couldn't figure out a reason why I needed it !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Winchester Model 70 358 STAs were built at the request of Art Apline.

They run about 3-3,500 of you can find them.

I could have bought one, but thought it was too pretty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The McWoody Pre64 montecarlo stock with red decelerator and stainless steel studs is here!

Guys, no one likes getting good wood more than me, but this thing is beautiful. I wish I could post pictures.

The studs are set in steel disk so they should never work loose. Has to be better than just screwing them in with a washer.

It is striped like a tiger!

A lot of things are going to be put in a freezer with this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was one of the lucky ones who was able to buy one of those 58 rifles in .358 STA that Art Alpin of A-Square requested from Winchester’s Custom Shop. Mine is georgous, beautiful and truly outstanding. Red Walnut that glows in the sunshine, stainless steel and all that the only Winchester can build in a pre 64 presentation. Although it is almost to pretty to hunt with I will not own a safe queen that does not hunt. It is as accurate as it is attractive and has been with me to Africa, Alaska and Canada and each ding has it’s own story that my son and grandsons will know by heart when they end up with it. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2340 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmith has the stock. The action and barrel sit into the stock perfect.

The barrel will be free floated and recoil lug glassed.

Rip, I saw of your builds. We should be done soon.

Have you moved out of Lexington?

one of us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500

Nice !
Send a PM here if you want a picture posted.
tu2