Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for 338/06 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Putting together a 338/06 AI. Need some adult supervison on bullets.

I'm keen on either a 210 Barnes TTSX or Nosler 225 AB. My intended targets will be Texas Hogs and perhaps a cow elk. I do not like bullets that come apart upon hitting a big bone. I won't be hunting big bears or moose, nor take it to Africa.

Any advice on Hornady, Speer, or Berger bullets will be appreciated. These seem to more readily available than the Nosler offerings.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use plan jane Hornaday 250s in my 338/06

So far they have killed everything I shot with them.

It is not like you are going to get super velocities out of the cartridge.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

In my 338-06 I used the 210 TSX on moose and it worked perfectly with about 3 feet of penetration. Also used the 185 TSX on mule deer with perfect results. If you're not going to shoot big animals the 185 TSX which even in the standard 338-06 you can drive at 2900 fps with R15 is more than enough bullet.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Used Nosler 210 and 225 gr Partition bullets with success on elk. Chub Eastman used a 210 Nosler
for a one-shot Grizzly at about 15 feet.
Heavier 250-275 bullets depending on game.
The 338-06 is close to the 318 Wesley-Richards
on African game-or the 333 Jeffery with 300 gr bullets. At the speed generated, Hawk bullets
do really well at 2150-2250 FPS. Hawk bullets REALLY work in the 348 AI for 270 gr bullets.

Posts: 357 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed reading fredj338’s posts here on AR. Sadly, haven’t seen him post in a long time.

Anyway, Fred was a big believer in the 338-06. He used the 210NP on his Elk hunts with no problems. I always wanted a 338-06, and would have eventually bought one, but I think Fred’s posts pushed me over the edge and I bit. Bought a Dakota Classic Deluxe in 338-06 and a ton of Nosler Custom ammo (33 cases, not boxes) when they had a fire sale (the good old days). I have that ammo in 180, 200, 210, & 250 gr. I am anxious for warm weather to return so I can do more shooting, but here’s a very small sample of what happened in my rifle:

These are the averages of about 15 rounds fired of each load @ 100m.

180gr.AB= 1.5” group, 6” high

200gr.AB= 1” group, 4.5” high

210gr.NP= 1.9” group, 4.2” high

250gr.NP= 1.7” group, 1.8” high

As you can see, I am no marksman by any means, but the data gives me a sample look at what THAT ammo, will do in MY rifle. I think for me, I like the 200 gr. for smaller animals, and the 250 gr. for the bigger boys.

Good luck with your new 338-06AI. I think you’re going to love it!!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 210 partition is the sweet spot for my AI. Have seen 2800 fps but the best grouping is at 2740 or so...just about an inch.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some serious hog medicine you're working on there, Matt!

Almost anything you use in your .338/06 will do the job in terms of terminal ballistics. So, I'd use whatever bullet gives you the best accuracy. If you expect some longer range shots, then the "lighter" .338 bullets might serve you best.

I used the original Nosler Ballistic Tip 200 for a lot of plains game in Africa in my .338 Win and it worked splendidly on game up to the equal of elk-sized animals. Took a springbok at an honest 400 yards with it to satisfy my guide's curiosity about how I could shoot. Also, the 210 Nosler Partition has a reputation for "punching above its weight" and has done well for me. I currently use a 225 grain Accubond for everything in my .338 Win since that weight is a good compromise for anything you might point such a caliber at.

But with whatever bullet you choose, accuracy trumps weight/velocity/energy, etc.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The first 338/06 I built was for a good friend over thirty years ago. He was going on a south Texas Nilgai hunt. We decided that the 210 gr. Partition was the right bullet for the job and it was. He has used that rifle on all manner of game and has taken it to Africa multiple times. He even loans it out to other friends to use in Africa and it has accounted for Eland down to Impala and a couple of Leopards to boot. I am a .318 WR fan, and this is just a slightly more modern version of that classic cartridge and carries on that tradition. It would be hard to go wrong with the 210 Nosler.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Accubonds and partitions in my 30-06, 338/06 AI, & 338 win. I like those Accubonds in any 06 based case or the 9.3x62 and Ive used them a lot on various game both here and Africa..In my .338 Win and the 338 Ackley IMp I preferd the 225 gr. accubond, and the 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 FPS in my 06. The more I used the Accubonds the less Ive used the partitions. I suppose if I were hunting DG Id fall back on the partitions as they have never failed me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Yes Stonecreek, I'm getting serious about whacking hogs (plus need such gun projects during the winter months).

I now have a decent supply of things to try for load development, 185 Barnes, 200 gr Woodleigh (using them in my 338 Fed) and various other 200-225 bullet (all Nosler's).

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
210 NP is the perfect all around bullet for the 338/06

I'm still amazed that the 338/06 never caught on commercially.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say you don't like bullets that come apart if they hit big bones but seek advice on Hornady, Speer and Berger. All have the potential to do what you don't want to happen; should narrow your choices considerably. I've been shooting 338/06 for over 35 yrs now, 210 NP is my bullet of choice, anything bonded or monometal should work.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 338-06AI’s. Have used them for on deer, elk, red deer, hogs,bears, and smaller stuff. I have used the 210 partition, the 180 and 200gr accubonds as well. I like the accubonds best..

200gr accubonds will work great on pigs!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the 200gr Nosler Accubond or Silver Ballistic Tip.Those are great bullets too.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most any bullet will work on hogs from a 338/06, Hornadys, Sierra, NOsler, Rem corelokts and others...I shot many hogs with a 222 and 22-250 with the 60 gr. Hornady, and both have been deer and hog deadly at up to 200 yards..

I mostly use the 225 gr. Accubond and 210 Partition in my 338 Win and 338-06 ACkley..bTW I have found the 200 gr. Accubonds perfect for elk in my 30-06.

I have also used this combo on many cow elk. Ive shot the big bulls and had to eat them, some OK and many not so goood,and the horns now decorate my shop and barn, but cow elk on the table has been my trophy for a number of years now, and I leave the bulls to those fine gents who want and deserve those horns..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Regarding those Nosler Accubonds: make sure you get fresh stock and use them soon. I bought some and found half the tips had broken off in the box.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noted credible gunwriter Bob Hagel found that the Nosler 210 Partition penetrated on large game as well as the 250 Partitions out of his various .338” cartridges, most notably the .338 Winchester and .340 Weatherby Magnum. I used it in my personal .338-06 on Kodiak Island blacktails and on caribou - where it worked wonderfully.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I like the Accubonds and partitions in my 30-06, 338/06 AI, & 338 win. I like those Accubonds in any 06 based case or the 9.3x62 and Ive used them a lot on various game both here and Africa..In my .338 and the 338 Ackley IMp I prefer the 225 gr. accubond, and the 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 FPS in my 06. The more I used the Accubonds the less Ive used the partitions. I suppose if I were hunting DG Id fall back on the partitions as they have never failed me..

This, and I’ll add 180 to 210 is the sweet spot for the 338/06. Heavy bullets are to tough (except cup and core) and hard to get that nice flat trajectory velocity above 2700fps provides. Everyone is trying to turn the 338/06 into a magnum and it’s not, it is a really sweet shooter though ( I’d probably do 35 W if I did it again). The 210 accubonds just flat out work the expansion ratio out of the 338 vs 300 bore gives it a slight velocity advantage over the 30/06 for any given weight. In mono metals I would absolutely drop to 185 because they love velocity.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt. I shoot the 338-06AI too. The bullet I eventually settled on was the 210gr Swift Scirocco. On game performance is outstanding. Typically 90% + weight retention with moa accuracy. The powder used is RL17.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 338 win bullet for years was the nosler 210 partition, but I had one come apart on big cow elk with a rig cage shot, so I switched to the 225 accubond and its worked like a charm on elk...necessary?? probably an over reaction on my part over one failure after many successes, but Im not a forgiving guy on bullets..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
She's a great caliber the 338/06 & I loved mine, from 160gr to 300gr great stuff !

Used a lot of Nosler BT (180gr-200gr) to play & like the ABs on Deer, but must admit the Barnes 185gr could be driven to crazy speeds, over 3000fps in mine.

I shot two big Sambar Stags (similar size to Elk) with them.

For my hunting in NZ it is a great all round but have a few more rifles now & a couple of 9.3X62 which work great on the bigger stuff, bit more recoil & shorter legs, not as many bullets or lighter weights, so I'm still keen on the 338/06 the AI can only be better ?

For Hogs & Cow Elk the 185gr Barnes will smash them & way out, Id like to hit bone on the Hogs maybe !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
You say you don't like bullets that come apart if they hit big bones but seek advice on Hornady, Speer and Berger. All have the potential to do what you don't want to happen; should narrow your choices considerably. I've been shooting 338/06 for over 35 yrs now, 210 NP is my bullet of choice, anything bonded or monometal should work.

SMH. It's a 338-06 on hogs for crying out loud. If there is any concern at all just use a 250 grainer. What's next, asking for advice on what 50 bmg bullet to use on armor plated deer?

Posts: 10130 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Sierra 250 gr. BTSP in my 338 and the 300 gr. BTSP in my .375 on one safari, those two bullets performed to perfection and I recovered a number of large expanded bullets on the off side skin on Buffalo and even on the larger PG animals..It was somewhat of a surprise but impressive..I prefer two holes but those Sierras did the job, I can't complain..so I they used them on elk with perfect results in my 338..I came upon this revolution at the coffee shop in Twin Falls when all the locals dropped them on the table and asked if my Nosler did any better! and all I could say was "yes, but I do like two holes" rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Matt,
I was thinking about you and wondering how long it would be before you sustain withdrawal symptoms from whacking pigs as it's been many years since Niihau.

For the porkers, any cup and core in the 338/06 AI will do well. For cow elk, you will probably want to use a premium bullet since the number will be very limited.

Please check your personal email.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I used the Sierra 250 gr. BTSP in my 338 and the 300 gr. BTSP in my .375 on one safari, those two bullets performed to perfection and I recovered a number of large expanded bullets on the off side skin on Buffalo and even on the larger PG animals..It was somewhat of a surprise but impressive..I prefer two holes but those Sierras did the job, I can't complain..so I they used them on elk with perfect results in my 338..I came upon this revolution at the coffee shop in Twin Falls when all the locals dropped them on the table and asked if my Nosler did any better! and all I could say was "yes, but I do like two holes" rotflmo

Had I bought that Jim Kobe built M98 in 338/06 back when it was first available in 1993-4 time frame and just stuck with it, I'd be $100k ahead on rifles. I could have bought more trips or airplanes with the money I saved.

I'm with Ray on this one, the 210 or 250 grain Sierria's are good for anything up to and including Elk/Kudu/Eland. In my limited experience on the bigger stuff, a premium bullet might be a better choice.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a buffalo or two with the 300 gr. Sierra Boattail and several Eland, all got perfect mushrooms and found on the off side skin with awesome internal damage, couldn't ask for quicker kills...YET, Im still more confortable with a bonded core or partition premium bullet?? can't explain that other than it is what it is!! faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I use plan jane Hornaday 250s in my 338/06

So far they have killed everything I shot with them.

It is not like you are going to get super velocities out of the cartridge.

I second that! I’ve been using primarily 250 Hornady rn in my 338-06 AI since the late 1990s with perfect success on deer and hogs. Only reason to go lighter and pointier is if you are trying to get out to 300+ yards with it.

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 338-06for years on Idaho elk and deer, and no complaints, but once I tried the 338 win. I never went back, I can load the 338 Win down but couldn't load the 338-06 or IMP up to the 338 Win, all things being equal..I also love the 9,3x62 but its no 338 Win beyond 200 yards, but its a dandy in the black timber at up to 200 to 300 yards..

IMO the 338 win is just an amazing caliber and it worked like a charm on a big buffalo bull, I was impressed with the Nosler 250 gr. partition on buffalo, two holes and buckets of blood.

Just my two bits, and Hey I still hunt everything with my 30-06 and 180 or 200 gr. partitons or accubonds.."It weeeel keeel" as they say on "forged in steel" TV show..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
By sambarman338:

quote:
Regarding those Nosler Accubonds: make sure you get fresh stock and use them soon. I bought some and found half the tips had broken off in the box.

I had the same thing happen with 30 cal Nosler Accubonds. Only time I ever saw that.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For shooting hogs I have used Hornaday 200 grain SST bullets in my 338 Win mag. Cheap and effective, I'm sure they would work as well in the 338-06. That’s of course assuming you can find any, always problematic these days.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, did you get this put together yet? I had a plain Jane 338/06 built the year after you were up here. Started out with 225 Grain Hornady sst. Really accurate but wasn’t impressed with how they held together on elk ( 200 to 300 yards) switched to 225 nosler portions and have it shooting 5 shot groups you can cover with a quarter!!! Couple weeks ago sent one completely through a small black bear at 195 yards. Didn’t recover the bullet but by the size of the I would say it help
Together pretty well

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had the Accubonds lose the tips more than a few as a matter of fact, tested them for accuracy without the tips and nothing changed, used them on whitetail cull and on hogs and Javalina and they are a bonded core so again nothering changed..but to each his own on the subject, if one is OCD, you probably might use a partition, but keep in mind anything built by man will fail on ocassion..Im not particularly forgiving but I gave the accubonds a pass...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120