New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for 308 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you have seen my wife’s custom 308wim.

The initial brick of Remington Corelockt 150s I bought with the rifle are about gone.

Looking for bullet suggestions to play with. Not bumming for loads, justmwhat bullets you like in this cartridge.

I am leaning to 165 weight. A friend who shoots a lot of 308 tells me my Accubonds are too hard for the mild 308. He loves the partition.

I find this odd. In her 7mm/08, I have used the 140 grain Ballistic Tip on a buck. It worked wonderfully.

What do you guys think I should pick up to experiment with to add to the Accubond, Ballistic Tip, Partition

Looking for some guidance on what to pick up and play with. Do you think the Accubond is too hard at 308 Win velocity for deer at most 300 more like 250 yards. My friend is of the stop on the hide mindset.

Note, I am not a fan of Corelockts. I have never used Speer Hotcores.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would start with 165 grn Horn IL BTSP & 44.0 to 46.0 grains (in.4 grn incremets) of Varget and if you don't get an accurate load (3/4 MOA ) then 165 grn Accubond LR, followed by the Barnes 168 grn TTSX.

For the barnes use 43.6 to 45.0 grains.

My kimber shoots .8 with 45 grns of Varget and a 168TTSX at 2692 fps. It's my mice to moose load.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Dettore: Thank you that was more than I was digging for. I appreciate it.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can bear a lighter bullet may I suggest Barnes TTSX 130 gn. Even loaded conservatively it should be great killer out to max 300 yds. Quite flat shooting too. At least some if not most shots will penetrate completely from broadside hits.
Even if you stuck with a 165 or 168 gn TTSX they would still open well on impact based on my observations.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make you a deal 30/06 King, I will pick up some 150 grain Barnes. Would you stay with the TSX or Tipped TSX?

Thank you, kindly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I make you a deal 30/06 King, I will pick up some 150 grain Barnes. Would you stay with the TSX or Tipped TSX?

Thank you, kindly.

Twist rate for 27 Nosler rifles is 1:8.5.

The velocity given for the 150 grain load is 3300 fps. Speeds on the 165 ABLR has not been disclosed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500,
Deal accepted !
My suggestion - go with TTSX ( ie Tipped TSX ). Everything under .375 I now shoot ( in Barnes ) is TTSX. Why ? In a word - accuracy. Also, I think the tips initiate bullet expansion pretty reliably across different calibres and bullet weights. TTSX bullets are slightly longer than TSX equivalents, taking up more case capacity but current propellants easily make very capable loads.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
IIRC, 168 grn TTSX has a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps.

Started at 2675 fps, it still travelling at 1900 fps (allowing for a margin) at 515 yards.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TTSXs have much better BCs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thank you, kindly.

Twist rate for 27 Nosler rifles is 1:8.5.

The velocity given for the 150 grain load is 3300 fps. Speeds on the 165 ABLR has not been disclosed.

The last part of that is wrong thread.

Sorry folks long week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you only missed it by one line... LOL.

if your just shooting Deer I wouldn't spend any more than the 25$ a box of Hornady interlocks cost.
if your Considering Elk. then maybe I'd get the 15gr. heavier ones and spend the extra
.50 cents.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 165 Nosler BT and load it with Varget. It has been superbly accurate in three rifles, so far, and it kills well.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did the 150's shoot? Is this an if it ain't broke don't fix it deal? I prefer 150's in .30 cal.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
have been having exceptional results with
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/308-145gr-esp-raptor
at both low and high velocites
plan to try some of these next
https://cuttingedgebullets.com...xtended-range-raptor

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded more 308 cartridges for friends than for myself but for deer the 150 gr spire pt is accurate and deadly. One friend uses 165 gr Hornady spire pts on deer & elk with a single complaint.I really can't see needing a TTSX or Partition in a 308 but its your nickel

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the 150 Corelockts, I used 165 grain Corelockts 30/06 factory loaded to kill my first four deer. Two bucks and one two does. No shots exited. I prefer but do not demand exit wounds.

However, on one buck shot in the neck at maybe 10 yards the bullet literally dusted. Now it turned of that buck. He was my first. But I shot a much smaller buck years later with a 7mm/08 Ballistic Tip at the same yardage and almost same spot on the neck as close as humanly possible. You can see the entrance wound on the mount of the first buck. That soft little 140 grain Ballistic Tip exited.

I shot a very large buck with that 165 Corelockt 30/06 load. It did not exit, buck did not go real far with top of his lungs gone, but he did go aways before he started coughing blood up or at least before it showed on the ground.

Again, I do not demand exits, but on board side lung shots or close in neck shots I do expect them.

My bag is not near as big as most on here. But it is my experience and taste. I do not chase extreme or grand accuracy. Simply adequate.

To be honest, I do not know how factory Corelockts shot in this 308. It was probably adequate. We just shot them at milk jugs at 100 yards.

No anger or hate from me. Some folks like vanilla others like whatever exotic ice cream there is.

For setting down for a family blast and dine, I am with you all the way. Pass the Federal Blue Box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A friend who shoots a lot of 308 tells me my Accubonds are too hard for the mild 308. He loves the partition."

165gr accubonds works great in .308w i have shot moose, wild boar, fallow deer, roe deer.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Hornady 180 SSTs in my Mod 7. Killed every deer I ever pulled the trigger on. Shoot the same bullet in my X Bolt for 500 yard gong practice.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think most anything will work in a .308.

Best accuracy is typically with match kings, Berger’s, and ballistic tips for me.

If you want exits, TSX, TTSX, Aframes, Trophy bonded, partitions, in that order in my experience. I’ve never had issues with any of them not giving hunting accuracy, and sometimes exceptional accuracy, if the rifle likes them.

I shot a mule deer this last year with accubonds, and the deer died quickly, but neither the shot nor the insurance shot exited, this with a .30-06 that had the bullets going at .300 savage speeds. Not a bullet failure, but shows less penetration than I expected from them. I don’t buy it’s a direct replacement for the partition, whatever Nosler says.

I’ve been told that the ABLR is softer than the standard accubond- but I was discussing a .300 RUM, so the relevancy to a .308 is questionable.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the 308 is its so close to the 30-06 that you can use any 150 or 180 gr. bullet in it..I always use 150s in the 308 for deer, they kill faster..180s for elk..I like Nosler partitions best, Noslers open up quickly but hold together well...The 165 Nosler is a good option also where elk and deer are on the same menu..The old REm corelokts always suited me in the 308, and again 150 for deer and 180 for elk bear and moose. Worked well on all African plains game as well..The .308 is a fine game caliber IMO, as good as the my favorite, the 30-06 as a matter of fact, at least in the game fields.

The accubonds work fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

The initial brick of Remington Corelockt 150s I bought with the rifle are about gone.

Looking for bullet suggestions to play with. Not bumming for loads, justmwhat bullets you like in this cartridge.

I am leaning to 165 weight. A friend who shoots a lot of 308 tells me my Accubonds are too hard for the mild 308. He loves the partition.

I find this odd. In her 7mm/08, I have used the 140 grain Ballistic Tip on a buck. It worked wonderfully.

What do you guys think I should pick up to experiment with to add to the Accubond, Ballistic Tip, Partition

Looking for some guidance on what to pick up and play with. Do you think the Accubond is too hard at 308 Win velocity for deer at most 300 more like 250 yards. My friend is of the stop on the hide mindset.

What is the intended game?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Took a nice 9-pt whitetail this past season with my Browning BLR in .308. 150gr Core Lokt worked great. Entrance and Exit. in 2012 you all may recall my sister shooting the 300+ lb boar with a Rem 700 ADL in .308 with the same 150gr Core lokt.

There may be better bullet options for .308, but I wish I could purchase the .458dia 405gr Remington Core-lokts for my .45/70 still. I like Sierra and Nosler bullets and try to support them when I can. My .308 Win CL ammo was Walmart clearance stuff that I picked up cheap and keeps knocking stuff down.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

What is the intended game?

This rifle will most likely only see deer. Unless I get a wild hair to take it on Red Stag.

Guys, if you like Remington Corelockts that is fine. I do not. If you do and want to tell us how they are good for you, please do I love to read/hear about good hunts. But asking me to like them is like asking Elton John to go back to women. It is not happening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Average weight of the antlered deer was 143 pounds. Average weight of does of 1.5 years or greater in age was 86 pounds.
fw.ky.gov › Hunt ›

Poke a hole in it and fire up the grill.
And this...
if your just shooting Deer I wouldn't spend any more than the 25$ a box of Hornady interlocks cost.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500

This rifle will most likely only see deer. Unless I get a wild hair to take it on Red Stag.

Okay. Why would you increase the recoil for your wife going to a 165?

Any garden variety 150 will take the game you mention.

Also, your friend is uninformed about the 165 Accubond... I’ve used it on elk from 50 yards to over 300 yards, and deer and antelope out past 400 yards from the 308, no problem. But I’ve also used Speer Hotcores and Hornady Intrlocks.

The 308 is easy on bullets, and about anything will work, and work well. No need to over analyze it... choose a 150 that shoots well, and give your wife a break.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Also, your friend is uninformed about the 165 Accubond... I’ve used it on elk from 50 yards to over 300 yards from the 308, no problem. But I’ve also used Speer Hotcores and Hornady Intrlocks.

The 308 is easy on bullets, and about anything will work, and work well. No need to over analyze it...

Oh dear, She grew up shooting full auto BARS, Colt M16s, Browning 50 cals, FN FALs. You name it. Her dad is a Class 3 dealer. An extra 15 grains is not an issue. She does not like the 338 mags and up, but handles my STW well.

Guys, I have tried to be polite about this, but I do not need a lecture on Corelockts. If you like them use them. I don’t and we won’t. This was made clear at the beginning.

If you want to tell us about your successes with 150grain Corelockts that what the forum is for. Glad to hear. But I do not like them and ain’t going to use them again.

I totally agree any 308 load will result in grilled tenderloin. That is really not the point.

I am going to pick up fifty Accubonds, and a couple boxes of 150 grain TTSX I made a promise, and Tipped TBBC which is a bullet I always wanted to play with.

Are the necessary no.

For the record the only buck that I ever saw lost (I did not shoot, but was sitting beside the shooter) was with a 115 grain Corelockt in 25/06. He took him frontal in the right shoulder less than 50 yards. We tracked for 6 hours. Started with good blood the first 30 minutes. Maybe he hit tomfar down on the leg. When the blood was good, it was in pools.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also, your friend is uninformed about the 165 Accubond... I’ve used it on elk from 50 yards to over 300 yards from the 308, no problem. But I’ve also used Speer Hotcores and Hornady Intrlocks.

The 308 is easy on bullets, and about anything will work, and work well. No need to over analyze it...

Oh dear, She grew up shooting full auto BARS, Colt M16s, Browning 50 cals, FN FALs. You name it. Her dad is a Class 3 dealer. An extra 15 grains is not an issue. She does not like the 338 mags and up, but handles my STW well.

Guys, I have tried to be polite about this, but I do not need a lecture on Corelockts. If you like them use them. I don’t and we won’t. This was made clear at the beginning.

If you want to tell us about your successes with 150grain Corelockts that what the forum is for. Glad to hear. But I do not like them and ain’t going to use them again.

I totally agree any 308 load will result in grilled tenderloin. That is really not the point.

I am going to pick up fifty Accubonds, and a couple boxes of 150 grain TTSX I made a promise, and Tipped TBBC which is a bullet I always wanted to play with.

Are the necessary no.

For the record the only buck that I ever saw lost (I did not shoot, but was sitting beside the shooter) was with a 115 grain Corelockt in 25/06. He took him frontal in the right shoulder less than 50 yards. We tracked for 6 hours. Started with good blood the first 30 minutes. Maybe he hit tomfar down on the leg. When the blood was good, it was in pools.

I never mentioned the Corelockt.

Man, you’re hard to help... good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Accubonds in a variety of calibers. You will be fine with them.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on the 165gr Sierra Game Changer. It's their hybrid bullet that is a cross between the match king and their game king. They are very accurate out of my rifles and they do well on game. At 308 velocities I would think they would retain plenty of their weight.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone: I picked up two boxes of lose/component 150 grain TTSX, and a loaded box of 165 grain Accubonds on the way home from Lexington yesterday

We will be shooting as soon as my wife finishes some of her accounting work. Thank you all.

I will give a report.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
I have settled on the 165gr Sierra Game Changer. It's their hybrid bullet that is a cross between the match king and their game king. They are very accurate out of my rifles and they do well on game. At 308 velocities I would think they would retain plenty of their weight.

Please explain. Does this mean that the game changers will be softer than Game Kings? Already a relatively soft bullet, not so?
A friend is looking for suggestions for his 308, so I am following this thread closely.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I keep threatening to work up a load for my son's .308 Win, but the Barnes VorTx with 150 grain TTSX work so well that I haven't seen the need, yet.

For what it's worth, I also shoot 150 grain TTSX (handloaded) in my .300 WSM. They have worked beautifully on everything from coyotes to oryx.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I used the 150 gr Barnes, then the coated 150 X (Blue Meanies), then the 150 TTSX. I used 4064 then Varget. Around 1996 I bought this 308 Sako F/S. Have been using it about 65% of the hunts since then. 150 gr X has done in a lot of whitetails since I bought the gun. Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 150gr Barnes TTSX VorTx load is loaded with a special TTSX that is different from the component 150gr TTSX.
The VorTx loading will expand down to 1,500 fps which extends it's range out there by a couple hundred yards. The tech at Barnes is hopeful that that bullet will become available as a component.
I have used the VorTx ammo with great success. So much so it's hard to come up with a reason to handload Cool

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray. I use 150gr cup and core bullets for deer in my 308s and 180gr partitions for elk. for me, they have always worked.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought some 165gr Swift A frames for my .308. I just hope that they are as accurate as the 300gr A Frames were in the .375 H&H. I will do load workup and practice with the Hornady IL's, as the Swift were $58 for 50. It's going to have to be an occasion to pull the trigger on those.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have a story about the old Barnes X.I'll preface this with the fact that if they go very far I will have lost the whitetail to the neighbors. I was hunting by an old overgrown spot around a pond. The pond was leaking and shallow but a wildlife magnet for deer and turkey. I have collected both there over the years. This time a fat doe was walking the far side of the pond and unaware, not looking back at all. I shot her and she kicked an then jumped over the fence into the unpicked corn. I had never had one go out of sight so I waited then tracked. At the other side of the pond I found a 1.5" sapling hedge tree, Bois De Arc for the picky guys, leaning over with a bullet hole in the middle. I hadn't noticed it in my excitement to get some great meat. I tracked a little way into the field and there she was. Since the field was unpicked I had quite a drag. She had a funny shaped hole in her but it was quite deadly even after hitting the sapling. I don't recommend that kind of shooting and don't know why it wound me up so much to get a doe. It sure tasted good though. I have never held an easy shot like that for some deer rack soup. Deer are almost a pest species here in northwest Misery, not far from Wallace State Park. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips are my choice.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting Baldhunter, I'm going to try that TAC load with the 168gr B-tip.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good shooting. I just have not been burning ammo. There is not a lot of options to replenish right now.