Find
Notify
Tools

9.3mm bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello from Scotland~ wave

Im looking for info on current available 9.3mm bullets ive heard good things of speer's 270 gn bullet, how ever at present im interested in fmj 9.3mm bullets ?

Anyone help ?

Englander

Best regards from across the pond
Remember~ Britain is an Island and will never be part of Europe !.22LR .218 Bee .30-30 .308 .444

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been happy with the Speer 270 from either the 9.3x74R or the 9.3x62. They seem a bit too soft and I've found chunks of them in several wound canals on animals as small as white tail deer and pigs.

The 286 grain Nosler partition is a much better bullet as are the Woodleighs.

If your shooting Woodleigh softs, it pretty much follows that Woodleigh FMJs should serve you well ... especially from a double rifle where they often shoot to the same or close to the same aiming point.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Englander!

It all comes down to what you have planned to hunt with your 9,3!?

Some good big game bullets I can recomend is:

Norma Oryx 286 gr. A bit soft when the v/0 gets a lot above 700 m/s but a good bullet.

The 232 gr. Oryx is also a good choise but the bullet is a bit soft like it´s bigger brother. V/0 around 750-770 m/s work well on moose.

Lapua Naturalis 17,5 grams. This all copper (alloy?) bullet work really well, even in 9,3X64 velocitys! No severe copperfouling like the Barnes X can give in some cases.

The Woodleighs is pretty much always a good choise, regardless of calibre.

The Nosler part. was mentioned above and I can stand by that bullet as well.

These are the bullets I would recomend for a 9,3 rifle based of my experiences. There are probably more good bullets on the market but I don´t have first hand information on them!

Norma makes a practise 232 gr. FMJ bullet but it wouldn´t be my choise as a back up bullet on a dangerous game hunt........

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them enough to know the pretty well come apart on anything larger than a 90 lb. animal and iffy on them...I had one explode on a coyote and nearly blew him in two pieces..I wouldn't want to shoot anything nasty with one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had really good luck with swift Aframes in 300 grain. only problem with them is the pricetag.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a number of African game animals with the 250BT, and it is a pretty good bullet. It is very tough, very accurate, and has a very high BC, @ .490 from memory. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer 270 gr bullets are fine for roo's and feral pigs period. I have found the speer 270 gr 9.3 bullet to hang together a lot better than the 300 gr Hornady .375 RN. Another poster has also reported excellent results with them on pigs.

Any big bore will blow a fox/coyote apart if hit right as big bores make small animals rupture open, I have wittnessed it countless times before.

For anything heavier use a woodleigh.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys

Im thinking of adding a 9.3x62mm to my collection....... at present i would just put it on my licence for target shooting at my club..... cops will not let us shoot expanding bullets on range if we the gun is just on ticket for "target" shooting eek2

So what im really looking for is practice bullets i will of course be looking into cast bullets for the 9.3x62mm Smiler as a caster/reloader......... while im here do you use 9.3x62mm brass or do you use fireformed other cases .30-06 ??
How many of you are scoped ? Personally iwould keep iron sights........

Englander

Best regards from across the pond
Remember~ Britain is an Island and will never be part of Europe !.22LR .218 Bee .30-30 .308 .444

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I use Speer 270 grainers in my Husqvarna 9.3x57 iron sighted rabbit gun. They do make a bit of a mess but they have allways penetrated clean through. As yet I have not been able to recover any spent bullets. When I want to eat a bit of rabbit the 22lr gets a walk around the paddock.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use Norma, Lapua, or Hornady 9.3x62 brass...06 brass would do for cast bullets, but its about 5% less in case capacity...

I like the Nosler Balistic tips, Woodleigh, North Fork and the 286 gr. Noslers, the Swifts are decent and the Europeans make some very good bullets, no shortage of good bullets for that caliber, but the Speer is nearly a varmint bullet....way to soft.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler 286 grain Partitions worked very well for two hunters on our safari last year - Kudu, Sable, Gemsbok, Warthogs, Eland, Waterbuck, and all of the smaller antelope, usually with one shot too. I have also had good luck on paper targets with the RWS 256 grain H-Mantle. Never used the 9.3mm RWS on game, but the H-Mantle has proven spectacular on US deer with a 6.5x54mm. Wish we had a reliable supply of RWS products here in the USA.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am keen to try the woodleigh 9.3 bullets when I run out of speers and I would also like to try the Noma 232 gr oryx. I reckon that would be a ripper.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the 285gr Lapua Mega's and Re15 in the 9.3x62, I use Lapua brass also.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I used Grafs brass for a year or so, then decided to try Lapua. I'm very impressed with the quality - just wish they made it in more of my calibers!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote